color blind?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by otsegogirl27, Jan 24, 2007.

1. otsegogirl27

otsegogirl27 Rookie

Jan 24, 2007

i have a kid in my class, he's 2 1/2, and he doesn't do well with colors. his parents aren't sure if he's color blind or if he just doesn't know his colors. i try to work with him on colors as much as i can, some days more than others depending on how much time i can give to him, but he doesn't sit well. he's often moving around during circle time, won't look at me if i'm talking to him, often ignores me when i am talking to him, he's very stubborn. seems lack of attention, or discipline even. i have tried several methods of talking, disciplining when behavior is off, or when he's pulling a stubborn move, but nothing phases him and it gets pretty frusturating sometimes. i don't want to suggest that they get him checked out for color blindness just yet only b/c i'm not even sure he knows what the colors are and i want to be able to work with him better to see if i can teach him the colors... and then if he still doesn't get them, then get him tested. what do you think? i never see his parents, they're not together, and the kid is there before i am every day and is still there when i leave. i mostly communicate with them through notes. what would you suggest for discipline? he's a verrry stubborn kid if he doesn't get what he wants or isn't happy with something. like i said, nothing phases him and he uses the fake cry approach..... trust me, it's fake lol. he'll whine, cry, whatever he does, will stop and peek out of the corner of his eyes to see if i'm paying attention, then whine some more. no tears, and as soon as i tell him what i need to tell him, and let him up, he's merrily on his way lol. he's a sweet boy, has some of the best manners for being so young, sometimes i don't understand what he says though. he actually got in trouble the other day and i was kneeling down next to him telling him we don't do that, etc... etc... and he pointed his finger in my face babbling something yelling at me. it's funny to think about, but i wasn't amused at the time lol. thanks in advance :)

3. Joyride

Joyride Comrade

Jan 24, 2007

The funny thing to me about colors is that although the kids may not be able to name them correctly, they usually want a particular color object and get mad when they aren't given that color. Maybe try offering him a choice? That will give you an idea of whether he's noticing colors in any way.

The behavior does sound frustrating. Are there other times you've spent with him that you can compare to his attention span at Circle time? For instance, reading a story privately? Have the parents expressed any concerns? (That can be difficult when the only way to communicate is through notes, but depending on the type of notes, you might want to start doing a daily sheet for him).

He's probably not color-blind, but may have some developmental issues. The best way to approach a parent about any type of testing is to tell them what behaviors you're seeing, but not necessarily suggest a problem/diagnosis.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 24, 2007

You can even offer two identical objects/pictures/whatever in different colors, and ask if they're the same or different. Try red/green and blue/yellow, because these are the most common color-blindness types (I think).

5. cokelady

cokelady Rookie

Jan 29, 2007

My husband is colored blind, and he can not tell orange,red, pink all look the same, and greens and yellow all look the same. I not sure at 2 or 3 if you could even tell if they were colored blind they are too young.

6. Mrs. B.

Mrs. B. Rookie

Feb 7, 2007

Becuase he has trouble sitting still, try making the colors a gross motor game. Put out colored pieces of paper on the floor...who can jump on the red paper? Who can crawl to the green paper. Make a funny face on the blue paper, etc. I play a game in my class where we sing _____ is wearing red today, red today, red today. _____ is wearing red today on his/her shirt (pants headband, etc.) The kids look forward to their turn and I let them stand, point to someone else in the same color etc. Hope this helps! Good luck!