Colonoscopy

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Mar 1, 2012.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 1, 2012

Due to some issues I'm having, my doctor is recommending a colonoscopy. Has anyone had one? If so, is the "prep" as bad as people say?

I'm really nervous!!! :help:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2012

This year will be my first. I'm not excited. I'd start eating light...mostly liquids a few days before the prep...

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 1, 2012

Have you scheduled yours yet, czacza?

My primary care doctor referred me to an internist and my consultation is Monday. The internist is the one who'll perform the colonoscopy.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2012

I'll go in the summer.:huh:

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 1, 2012

My mom had one this year (not her first one) and she says the prep really is that bad. Sorry! :unsure:

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 1, 2012

do you have to drink a ton of water in a big prescription bottle?

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 1, 2012

Mine was called golytly...if so stay near a bathroom that day no kidding. I had that for something else but they said its used ro clean people out for that.

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Mar 1, 2012

I think that's what my mom had to drink. She couldn't leave the house all day and didn't want to eat. I think she was sore a few days after, too.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 1, 2012

I've had THE PREP before for other stuff... oh it is AWFUL! Might I suggest vaseline. Once your tummy starts to let you know you need to go... run, coat with vaseline, do your business, wipe with babywipes, and re-coat with vaseline. Your poor little hiney will be burning like fire after a while if you don't.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 1, 2012

Oh, yeah, don't plan on leaving the house that prep day either... keep a clear path to the toilet!

12. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 1, 2012

best advice....stay home so you can go to bathroom a lot. ...you wont have the feeling of control so dont be at work if youre using golytly.

13. Harper

Harper Companion

Mar 2, 2012

Yes, it is that bad. Stay home. And Vaseline is a good call.
    But on the positive side, I (This is difficult to explain) I felt very healthy afterward - detoxed, light, toxin free.
    But, yes, so bad... So sorry :(

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 2, 2012

I need one, too. Did they put you out for it?

15. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2012

The prep tastes yucky and you have to drink a lot. For me, drinking the prep liquid was worse than the bathroom part. It tasted disgusting. I ate really light a few days before the prep. I think that helps. I was put out and I'm glad because I remember waking up at some point during the procedure and saying how much it hurt, but I don't remember feeling the pain. Then, I was sick from the anesthesia. For me, the drink and the anesthesia were worse than the procedure.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 2, 2012

This whole thing sounds pretty bad. I guess the best part is when it is over, and you don't have it to look forward to.

17. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Mar 2, 2012

My brother died of colon cancer 12 years ago so I have now had three. Except for them making me drink a gallon of salt water it is no big deal. Just eat light before you have to drink the stuff.
    My wife only had to drink two small bottles of something to have the procedure. It really is not that bad.

18. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 2, 2012

I just had one a few months ago and I was really, really glad I did because they found 2 polyps that came back as the 1st stage of cancer. :eek: I'm under 40 and there's no history in my family-so they wouldn't have recommended it if I wasn't having this weird pain (not caused by that, it was an incidental find).

Don't let the uncomfortableness of it scare you out of not doing it! I was so glad I had it done because otherwise it would have just spread. It's one day of discomfort-that's all. It's like a 24-hour stomach virus. ;)

19. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2012

I've had two. The prep is definitely no fun, but all in all, it's not that bad. I had the "good" anesthesia where you don't remember anything at all and have a really great nap, but it's not that hard to wake up from. I woke up quoting Shakespeare this last time.

20. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 2, 2012

I had that anesthesia too. It was like a nice nap, now that I think back. I think I was sick afterward because I drank a big glass of cranberry juice right after waking.

21. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Mar 2, 2012

Apparently I told the doctor that I didn't have enough drivers for a field trip and asked if he would like to drive. I even asked how many seatbelts he had in his car.

22. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 2, 2012

I've had several colonoscopies due to my Crohn's Disease. They aren't any fun, but there much better than they used to be. When I was first diagnosed (in 1984), the scope was done without anesthesia! :eek: (OUCH!) The "prep" was just a fleets enema, a gown and get on the table. I'm definitely glad times have changed.

I will agree the worst part now is the prep itself. It isn't the quantity you have to drink as much as it is the taste and how often you have to drink it. The doc usually wants you to drink at least an 8 oz. glass every 15 minutes. The only problem is the taste of the stuff is very "sickeningly sweet". The first glass or two isn't so bad, but after that, the taste will almost make you nauseous. :spitwater: Don't worry about sticking to the 15-minute schedule. The prep will still do it's job, it just might take a little longer, but you're going to have to stay near a bathroom all day anyway, so that isn't a problem. What I began doing was drinking the prep about every 30-45 minutes and drinking a small glass of water in between to rinse the taste out of my mouth.

Just remember the whole purpose of the prep is to clean out your system. You can make this process easier by eating light for a couple of days beforehand (as others suggested). This will start cleaning you out before you take the prep, which means it will take less prep to finish the job. The vaseline and baby wipes are good ideas too.

Overall, the experience isn't pleasant, but it isn't horrible either. And unless you have a chronic illness, it should only be 2 days (1 for prep and 1 for the scope) every year or two.

I hope everything goes well with yours.

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 2, 2012

When I've had my procedures done, I've prepped starting in the afternoon, like about 3p.m. I tend to have problems in that area so I will bulk up on veggies and other high fiber foods. Yes, I know, I should eat that well all the time!

It's drinking the golyte junk that bugs me. I find that drinking as fast as I can helps, and using a straw helps. This time around I got so cold, I wanted to use a blanket (it was July or August) but couldn't wrap up & still get to the bathroom in time.

My advice is to wear lose fitting pants, something you can just pull down. No buttons or zippers!

Once I'm prepped, I don't mind the procedure. Once a year.

24. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 3, 2012

I have Crohn's disease, as well, so I have had 2 in the past 3 years.

The first time the prep was bad, but I made it through alright. (I had to drink golytly both times.) You are pretty much staying near the toilet for hours. Have lots of magazines or a good book nearby! ;) My first experience with the procedure wasn't good. I don't remember anything and did not feel any pain, but I guess I was a difficult patient. I kept trying to pull the scope out and tried to get up and leave multiple times. I don't remember any of it!

The second time, I thought the prep was worse. It was the same exact process, but I think I knew how horrible it was going to be, so some of it was mental. I called the hospital at around 1am and talked to the doctor on call, complaining that I just couldn't do it. Every time I held that glass to my mouth, I would start gagging, and I felt so sick to my stomach. I eventually finished most of the drink. This time the procedure itself went well, because they put me completely under.

Also, my second time they made me go on a special diet a few days before, because I wasn't "cleaned out" enough after my prep the first time around.

I hope everything goes well for you! It stinks, but when it's over you feel fine and you can eat, eat, eat!

25. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 4, 2012

Yeah, it's like drinking a gallon of sea water. Then you poop as you've never pooped before.

I told the doctor that I wanted no awareness whatsoever of what he was about to do. He said OK, and I didn't.

26. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Mar 4, 2012

I had the same experience afterwards too:) The procedure is not that bad as they do put you out. I had an endoscopy done at the same time. Thankfully, everything was fine.

27. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 4, 2012

I definitely suggest you get the anesthesia if possible! I haven't had a colonoscopy but I had an upper endoscopy and I don't remember a thing between being sedated and getting home afterward and waking up from a nap. It was great. My doctor was quite handsome though, I'm afraid of what I might have said! :lol:

Good luck, I hope all your results are positive!

28. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2012

It's interesting this thread is here. I was diagnosed with crohns disease in 1990 and have had 10 colonoscopies in that time as well as having had to drink that horrible barium stuff.

The worst part is the prep the day before. Just make sure you drink clear liquids....nothing red, orange or purple, and drink jello and eat italian ices, etc. You'll be fine. In the evening when you do the first round of prep, that's when the fun starts.

It's not as bad as it all seems, and once you're finished with it, you'll know what to expect. In the long run, it's better than teh consequences. My husband had his first one done a few years ago and the doctor found a polyp that could have turned into colon cancer if left undisturbed. We're both thankful he went through it.

I have my next one this Wednesday and will do the prep on Tuesday. I'll work Tuesday morning and then be off in the afternoon and then again all day Wednesday.

29. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 4, 2012

Definitely worth it to find out. I'm glad your husband turned out okay, Tracykaliski. Colorectal cancer is the biggest cause of cancer deaths after lung, partially because it's often hard to catch before it's too late.

30. ybmiuq

ybmiuq Rookie

Mar 6, 2012

It's easy.
    You know how good food tastes after a day of fasting?
    Well, don't eat anything two days before and the stuff they give you to drink will taste good.
    I feel much healthier after the procedure and if it didn't cost so much, I'd look forward to it.
    So far at 63 years old I have no polyps.

31. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 6, 2012

My brother had one a few months ago. He had to drink Suprep. He said it was horrendous. Then before leaving he had to do an enema.

I'm lucky i've only had to get multiple endoscopies :p