Colonial America Decor

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by cutNglue, Jul 15, 2009.

1. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 15, 2009

I'm thinking about decorating my room to reflect the colonial times period since we will study that later in the year. I don't want it to be overwhelmingly a social studies classroom since we won't actually touch on it until the second half of the room but I thought a subtle colonial theme approach might warm up the room and invite their interest. The problem is I haven't studied this period any time recently and I have no clue where to start. Any ideas?

3. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Visit the Williamsburg website. It is all about Colonial Times and I'm sure you can find a lot of fun resources there too :)

4. ATeach

ATeach New Member

Jul 15, 2009

Another idea might be to have a broader, more simply patriotic theme since in fifth grade you study U.S. History (including Colonial Times). They have some really cute America/Patriotic borders you could use. I have a book called Colonial Pocket Charts that I bought a a teacher supply store. It has lots of activities that I am sure you could use to inspire your decorations.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

When we got into our Rev. War unit, my kids LOVED the replica Declaration and Constitution that I displayed. They were constantly trying to read them and figure out what they said. I was amazed--what an easy way to get them to read those documents! (Although I had to convince them that I had NOT stolen them, ala National Treasure :))

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2009

I did my room in Americana for two years. 5th grade, also. I loved it. The Susan Winget series of posters and decorations goes beautifully, as does the Mary Engelbreit stuff. I found most of my decorative items at thrift stores. I had a lot of painted wooden things and stuck to a red, white, and blue color scheme. There is a really nice cursive letter frieze with each letter represented by something to do with American history.

7. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 15, 2009

make a tree somewhere in the room and write "Croatoan" on it... imagine how much they'll love it once you get to Roanoke!

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 15, 2009

That's it! I'm not looking to make my whole room into a social studies theme. A subtle Americana theme is what I'm aiming for. I may run out of time and my walls will barely hold the academic stuff I need to display but if you have pics I would love to see it.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 15, 2009

If I have some time, I wouldn't mind stopping and looking for those history pocket books you guys are talking about.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2009

I really like that idea!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 15, 2009

I don't have any pictures handy (sigh). Sorry. I found a shabby chic bench that had been painted rusty red with a checkerboard on it, then aged, and another wooden step stool. I found a small cabinet that was painted dark red with an American flag on it. I used that for tapes and CDs. I used red painted baskets to hold things. The Susan Winget line has posters with the theme of patriotism. I used those. I had a red and white checked valance over the door. I used all wood accessories and trays for work and supplies. Even all my seasonal decorations were made of painted wood. And, again, I think I got all of them at the thrift stores.

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 16, 2009

Nevermind. I went to see my new room. The colors are sea green and blue.