College - Unaccredited vs. accredited

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by SKEAD, Jul 14, 2005.

1. SKEAD

SKEAD New Member

Jul 14, 2005

My daughter wants to be an elementary school teacher in a private Christian school and is looking at a college that is not accredited. Any thoughts or experiences on finding employment with a degree from an unaccredited college?

Anyone teaching in a Christian elementary school that went to a secular college?

3. mmeblue

mmeblue Rookie

Jul 14, 2005

I teach at a Christian school (middle school level, but our school goes from pre-k through 9th grade). Most of the faculty at our school did not go to Christian colleges, though there are a few who did. Personally, I went to Christian schools from pre-k through 12th grade, but not a Christian college. However, I think everyone at our school did go to an accredited college.

Private schools *can* hire whomever they choose, regardless of their educational background. However, I would guess that in most cases, having graduated from an accredited college would be more favorably viewed than having graduated from an unaccredited college. The major exception would be if the private school is affiliated with the same denomination as the unaccredited college - and that's a guess, not a statement of fact. :)

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2005

Most of the teachers at our local Christian private school attended the local university. however, the school will hire anyone. Last year a high school senior taught afternoon kindergarten, and my dad used to teach algebra (his degree is in ag something). An important thing to consider though is that a lot of these small private schools don't even pay minimum wage. I would have loved that afternoon kinder job for experience, but it would NOT have paid the bills :( and I couldn't take a full load of classes and work yet another job!

5. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 17, 2005

Here's the scoop on accredidation. With the exception of catholic schools (which I know required a teachers certificate) many private schools don't require one. So working at a school that doesn't may not matter where she goes to college only what they think of her. IF your daughter want's to work in the public schools at some point OR if she ever wants to seek a higher degree (MA or PhD or EdD) then I strongly suggest she go to a school accredited by SAC's. I know from having worked at a university that those people who have gone to unaccredited schools MUST start over with a BA because we don't recognize unaccredited schools.
    My 2 cents are to go wih the accredited because you never know what the furture holds.