College Trip to the Carolinas

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Brendan, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 7, 2009

Hi everyone,

Next Friday, I'll be taking my son for a 5 day trip to NC and SC to look at colleges. Any suggestions/must sees or dos during our off time? I'll list the colleges he is interested below or feel free to suggest other colleges to look at. He is planning on majoring in History and Political Science. Please comment on them about what you know, my knowledge is limited to that of the internet.

Furman
    Clemson
    Elon
    Wake Forest
    UNC
    Duke

3. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

NCSU has a good College of Humanities and Social Sciences. I have to give a plug to my alma mater. NCSU is a very affordable option in NC. The Princeton Review just finished their yearly study and declared NCSU the 6th most affordable public university in US. Freshmen are guaranteed a dorm room on campus, the dining hall is quite good for school food, and there are a variety of clubs and other organizations for students. Parking is tight and you might have to walk a ways to get to class, but there is a Wolfline bus service with several off campus parking lots. Tuition will run about $18,000 for an out-of-state student. I went through the College of Agriculture so I are not really all that familiar with the College of Humanities but they would be worth checking out.

4. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

Appalachian State University in Boone, NC also offers political science and history. I think the cost of living would be a little higher up there since it is a ski resort area. It is a smaller, more personal school than NCSU, Duke, or UNC, but since it is in the mountains winter weather is a bit of an issue. It is a smaller city with a small Walmart, small mall, and lots of beautiful countryside to explore. My dad manages an apartment complex up there and has lots of students as tenants. As an out-of-state student, tuition would be much higher ($20,000). In state students pay about $9,000.

5. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 9, 2009

Furman is smaller and a little lower key than Clemson. Clemson is located in a typical small college town. The closest areas with shopping and restaurants are Anderson and Seneca. Furman is closer to Greenville, which is quite a bit larger than Anderson or Seneca. Good restaurants, a big mall, great downtown area. Football is big at both schools. Clemson is more an ag and engineering school. Furman is a liberal arts school and has one of the best history and poli sci departments around here. BTW - Clemson is a big party school.

(I live in Greenville and my hubby went to Clemson. I know people who graduated from both colleges and they all had great experiences.)

Hope this helps!

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 9, 2009

Thanks! Furman is his number one school right now.