college text books: ebook or regular?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsTeckel, Jun 3, 2012.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 3, 2012

If you had a choice, would you get your college text book in an ebook to read on your ipad/kindle fire or would you get a regular book?

Im going back to get my early childhood special eduction approval and Im not sure how I want to get my books...

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 3, 2012

I'd get e-books.

4. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2012

Well, I graduated from college back in 2005 and back then I never heard of an ebook. Last year I took a class at the university to get my science credential and for the first time, I purchased an ebook. Personally, I didn't care for it. And, after a few weeks, the program stopped working (never did figure it out). Luckily, I was able to finish the class without the book, but still, I spent the money and didn't get to use it.

Meh. I would stick to the actual book. Then, just sell it back when you are done at the end of the school year.

And, it was nice to writing and make notes directly in the book.

But, I'm also old-school too. :p

5. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jun 3, 2012

It's not as easy to make notes in an E book as a regular book. You also can't resell it.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2012

I absolutely would get e-books if I could- so much better than lugging around all of that stuff. I will say though, I have never been one to highlight or make notes in an actual book, so that wouldn't bother me.

7. KateL

KateL Habitué

Jun 3, 2012

If you have an iPad, you can highlight and make notes using the iBooks program.

8. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 3, 2012

i have a kindle fire actually...Theres pros and cons for each...I guess i'll wait until i know exactly what book I need. Its only for 1 class at a time..

9. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jun 4, 2012

I think it's totally personal preference!! I read more on Kindle these days, BUT these disadvantages come to mind for a college textbook...
    -can't resell
    -hard to skim read (I like to flip through and see important points, get an overview, etc. for an informational-type book. Kindle is better for something you have to read all the way through.)
    -highlights - could be a pro or con. It would be a pro for me because I like being able to make highlights with my kindle, then pull them up and read my own "cliff's notes" version of a book.

And for the record, I only use the Kindle app on my phone or tablet. Now that I'm thinking of it, I'm not sure you can highlight on a regular Kindle??

10. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 4, 2012

I'm thinking now a regular book, then resell it towards the price of my next book...

I don't know. I have a month to decide :)

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 4, 2012

I'm a techie, but old school when it comes to text books.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 4, 2012

Interesting question, as we'll be buying text books for Lauren soon. She's definitely old school when it comes to texts, and will want the "regular" book version. She has had a couple of electronic versions of texts this year in Grade 12 and hated them.

I'm the same way. I need to be able to highlight, put in stickies and flip and and forth. I know that I can do the same things on screen, but I have a harder time retaining and finding the information.

13. teachart

teachart Comrade

Jun 4, 2012

I just got my first textbook on my kindle this semester. I love not having to carry it back and forth to class. The format does make it tricky, but you can also read it on your computer too.

Although I am a textbook junkie and have most of my old ones on a shelf, in the future I will buy e-books if I can.

14. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 4, 2012

I hate e-books

I have an e-book for my Spanish class I'm taking. It makes me want to scream. I had to pay $99 for a book I don't even have, and that in 18 months will expire, so i can't use it as a reference. I like to be able to flip back into the book to look something up, and it takes twice as much time on the e-book. I actually ordered a hard copy of the book just so I can have it and highlight it and all that. Down with e-books.

15. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 4, 2012

Regular books all the way, especially considering I'm math and performing arts. I need to write all over these things. Plus, I like having them in my bookshelf. Makes me look scholarly :lol:.

16. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 4, 2012

I like using e-books, especially when I can use the search feature to find a word or section quickly. However, I once had a professor who said that our midterm would be open book, BUT we could not use electronic devices.

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 4, 2012

I used an ebook for one of my grad classes. It was the last class in my program. Previously we had just read the book and maybe discussed in class. Not a problem. I really didn't use my book in class.

This professor, decided to actually USE the book in class. I found it difficult as the page numbers weren't available. We did a lot of reading in class.

If the page numbers were available for the book, I would have been much better.

I much prefer reading on my Kindle. But I would talk to the professor in advance & see how much class work will be done using the book. But, if the book has page numbers available on the ebook, I'd go with the ebook.

Most ebooks are cheaper.

18. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 4, 2012

I have a friend who is a college economics professor. She's thinking about going to strictly ebooks.

19. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Jun 4, 2012

I hate ebook textbooks! I like the old fashioned books, you can skip to pages easily, highlight and then sell it back at the end of the year. I had one class where the textbook was written by a professor at my school, and out of print so they just gave everyone a free ecopy of the book. I hated it! I'm old fashioned when it comes to my textbooks.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 4, 2012

I'm a regular old textbook kind of guy!

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 5, 2012

I love ebooks when I read on my own time, but I prefer actual textbooks for school. I always find myself flipping back and forth and that's easier to do in an actual textbook.

22. BlueEggie

BlueEggie New Member

Jun 5, 2012

As a current college student, I always get the regular book. I like being able to hold it, highlight, write in it, etc.

I guess it really just boils down to personal preference!