College Student - important question about tattoos

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by jsousa, Aug 1, 2006.

1. jsousa

jsousa New Member

Aug 1, 2006

Hello everyone. I am a soon-to-be college student looking to major in secondary education, teaching english.

I am contimplating getting a tattoo. My idea is to get the word "grind" tattooed across my left hand's knuckles, one letter on each knuckle. I play guitar, and this word reflects the style I play. I am curious before any further decisions are made, would this tattoo effect my employability, etc.? Thanks to any advisors.

Joe

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

4. blt

blt Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I myself have several tattoos all except one which is on the back of my head are covered up…Some students ask me about it if I get my hair cut too short but most of the time they hardly notice it. I would wait on getting any tattoos that are as visible as one on your hand… Remember that the people that will more than likely interview you for a teaching position may look down on such a visible tattoo.
    Bryan

5. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Aug 2, 2006

Would you go to a doctor, lawyer, or accountant that had this type of tatoo? Just something to think about...it definately could effective employablity

6. valentinemom

valentinemom Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

I dont think there is any clause that states tht you cannt have body art and teach. I personally have 6 tats and I am a k-2 social studies teacher. I think its all how you carry yourself

7. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2006

Personally- yes, I would. I don't have a tatoo only because I was too scared to get one:p However, we ARE judged by appearances like it or not. I would hold off on doing anything risque before landing your job.

8. msladybugzz

msladybugzz Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Well, I have one (a ladybug) but it is purposely not in a visible spot. I remember when I was a seasoned teacher, teaching in a new school and I asked a co-worker what my daughter's teacher was like since I didn't know her...she replied, well - she's got (whisper) a tattoo! "GASP!" LOL I told her I had one too and she nearly fell over.
    I also have a naval ring - my 2nd grade student saw it when I reached up on a bulletin board...she said/shouted, "Mrs. * has her belly button pierced!!" I was mortified - but nothing ever came of it.
    Bottom line is you never know what people are thinking and not saying to you...I'd get the tattoo, but find a less noticible place for it than your hands!

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2006

That's probably good advice. The hiring market is so brutal; you would hate to miss out on a job because of someone else's misperception about you.

10. arm605

arm605 Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

My biggest thought when I read your post was how your wedding ring will look with the tatoo should you choose to get married and wear a ring. Plus, I am not a real fan of tatoos anyway, but of course thats only my opinion. And yes, in certain areas of the country, it may have a negative effect on your job search.

11. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 2, 2006

Tattoos are becoming so common now, that people usually don't even bat an eye. However, you always have those who will see you differently because of it, especially if it is of a nature and in a spot typically associated with a questionable lifestyle (such as tattoos across fingers/knuckles). I got my tattoo just before going to teacher's college but I really put a lot of thought into putting it in a place where I could hide it if I wanted or needed to (lower back). I'll admit that I would wonder if one of my children's teachers had the word 'grind' tattooed across their knuckles...it's just human nature. That word could mean so many things. I would think long and hard about where you are putting it if I were you.

12. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2006

I like tatoos. I don't have one because needles horrify me. I don't even have pierced ears.
    However, I do not like tatoos on people's knuckles. They always look like something they did in 7th. grade when they didn't know any better.
    Please, let your career get in place before you consider doing anything like that. It's just not worth it, is it?

13. facsteach

facsteach Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Tattoo

I would say that if your questioning your hirability now, go with that feeling. I know that we are suppose to look past appearances, but we don't. Parents can be brutal and pick you apart. I was giving greif just for looking "too young". Your principal will not want to have to explain this. Get the tat if you want, just choose a different spot.

14. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Aug 3, 2006

When I see tattoos on knuckles I always flash to the "Love" and "Hate" tattoos on a prisoner's knuckles in some movie. I agree, I'd go with a different locale. It's also a generational thing. My parents tend to regard people with tattoos as "lower class," and guys with earrings as "gay" etc, etc (they are in their 70's).

15. Lydia

Lydia Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

Joe,

Like it or not, people judge you based upon your credentials and your looks (including clothings, hair, tattoos). I would caution you against a visible tattoo based upon the prejudices people have.

I have a tattoo that isn't readily visible for that reason.

--Lydia

16. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 3, 2006

I think tattoos are becoming more mainstream and don't always create a bad impression for someone. However, the tattoo you are considering is so visible, it will be harder for you to create the first impression... The tattoo will be creating it first. Also, most people are not going to know what GRIND means... You may have an innocent definition for it, but if you have to explain it, it's already too late. If I saw the word, I think about.. well, I looked it up on google... this definition in particular:
    Slang. To rotate the pelvis erotically, as in the manner of a stripteaser. I didn't see the defnition related to guitar playing. I know that's not what you meant at all, but at least some people will get that as a first impression. Your students would likely think of that too.

17. Teacher 218

Teacher 218 Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

They're right, we are judged first by our appearances, then by what comes out of our mouths and minds. It's unfortunate, but true. I teach 9-12 and the teacher across the hall got a tattoo last year on her lower back. As she leaned over to pick something up, someone noticed and the word was out. Covered up, they're no big deal, but out in the open, it's open to interpretation. And of course your age will play into the equation as well. My daughter and I just got tattoo's this week. Some people think I'm nuts, one because of my age, and two her age, but they are coverable and special to us. I'm also tenured and don't plan on changing jobs any time soon, so that may alter my understanding.

18. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I have six (soon to be seven) tattoos but I always said that I would not get them in visible areas, for the purpose of my work. If I wear a short sleeve shirt you might see the bottom of one but no big deal. I do however have hair down to my back, and that was never an issue. (I am a male math teacher).

I would suggest holding off. Land the job and then maybe you should consider the location of the tattoo. I love tats and can't wait to get the next one since its been 8 years, but I think you should reconsider the location. Besides you could get a cooler guitar tat with grind written in front of it all gothic and stuff.

Just a thought.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 3, 2006

Reconsider the location as above post suggested. Yes tatoos are becoing more popular- this year. Maybe not next. And usually not in education. You never have a second chance to make a first impression.

20. lv2teachthedeaf

lv2teachthedeaf New Member

Aug 3, 2006

Several of my co-workers, including myself, do have tattoos. However, for the most part, they are not visible to people. We did have an issue recently where a parent had seen a tat on the back of one of the teachers, and requested to our executive director that they needed to be better covered. (We teach preschoolers.) None of the kids have ever noticed, and I don't believe the question of whether or not I had a tattoo was on the interview. ;) However, because of the incident, we are required to completely cover all tattoos, regardless of the location.. just an idea to think about being able to cover it up if necessary... I like the idea of thinking of another place to have it. :)

Good luck!

21. Texas Gal

Texas Gal Companion

Aug 3, 2006

It will look like RIND becasue your thumb nuckle isn't in-line with the rest. Just a tought...

I'd do as others stated - if you want it, get it but put it in a less visible place.

22. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Aug 3, 2006

Be careful with tattoos. In law enforcement, tattoos on the knuckles, teardrops below the eye (and several others)are usually indicater of time served in prison. If you get it on your wrist, it will be visible when you play and can be covered with a watchband !!!!

23. jsousa

jsousa New Member

Aug 4, 2006

thank you everyone for all the help; im much obliged. it was an idea, and ive come to the conclusion that the word would not be good on the hand, but more on a more hidden part of the body. it is still not a for-sure idea, but just...an idea. thanks again as always.

24. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 4, 2006

Or it could look like GRIN, depending in which direction you go, LOL.

25. Mrs_Goatess

Mrs_Goatess Comrade

Aug 4, 2006

I have a tattoo on my ankle, which is occasionally visable. I work with middle and high school kids. Students who have me have noticed it, and occasionally ask what it is. (It's a leaping goat, actually.) Occasionally a student (mine or not) will ask if I really have a tattoo of a goat. I sometimes have to explain what the goat means to me. After that, it's been a non-issue. I am yet to have a co-worker or employeer say or ask anything about it. I don't feel it affects my hire-ability or teaching ability. In fact, it's a teaching moment. (Symbolism, personal meaning, art interpriation, etc.)

26. DotyMath

DotyMath Rookie

Aug 4, 2006

I have several nonvisible body piercings, and I keep them well hidden. I want students, other teachers, administrators, and parents to see me a good teacher, not that girl with the piercings. First impressions cannot be repeated. What they see will influence how they feel (as prejudiced as that is) about you as a teacher.
    It can be distracting for students - and part of our code of conduct mentions maintaining a distraction free (as possible) learning environment.
    I hope that you consider maybe getting a nonvisible tattoo first and then maybe get the feeling of the school or system before going for a visible one. :)

27. Malcolm

Malcolm Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2006

One of my cohort has a visible piercing. One of the students asked him what else (not visible) he had pierced... At least he will be teaching art.

My advice if you want to teach is to avoid any tattoos or piercings that will be visible to students, parents or administration, particularly on your knuckles. Will they affect your employability, not necessarily. OTOH I think there is a good chance they can depending on who is making the decision.

28. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2006

If the person that is hiring you has a values conflict with tatoos, that will certainly affect your employability. You would never know for sure either, so my point is to avoid giving the interviewer any reason to judge you.

29. MrsCAD

MrsCAD Companion

Aug 5, 2006

Let me answer this from a parent's pov - I am a parent, so I am entitled to answer it like one, lol!

I do not have a problem with tattoos. However, if I saw the word "Grind" written across the hand of one of my children's teachers, then I would have a huge problem with it. If your teaching teenagers, they will read something into Grind that you may or may not be meaning (and I am sure you know what that is).

Like it or not, we are roll models for our students, sometimes the only "decent" ones that they have. We have chosen a profession that has demanded that of us. If something can be misconstrued, then we must look at it from our student's pov.

30. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 5, 2006

And here I'm thinking jousa was making a joke to see what we all say because really...how could you think having the word GRIND across your knuckles would NOT affect your employment opportunities!

I still think it was a set up!!
    Anyone else feel this way?

31. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2006

In today's world it seems anything goes:eek:

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2006

That is entirely possible, Ann!!!!! Wouldn't be the first time!

33. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 5, 2006

Well...if it was a joke, it was actually very funny.
    Can you imagine being the principal who has to keep a straight face when meeting a teacher candidate with the words GRIND across their knuckles?
    Do you think the principal would still go through the motions of an interview or do you think the secretary would give them a heads up and make some reason why the position was no longer open? LOL

34. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Aug 5, 2006

During our teacher orientations we were told that IF you have a tatoo it MUST be covered while at work. I don't think they have a problem with anyone having a tatoo but they do if it is visible to students. Like it or not as a teacher we become impressionable people to the children we teach and just because we like certain things and have no issues with them doesn't mean the parents of these children are going to agree with it. Similar to smoking... I am sure that if a student saw their teacher smoking and that same teacher had been discussing why people should not smoke during the "Smoke Out" Day that student would loose respect of that teacher.

35. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

I agree so much with you...well said!
    Especially smoking!!! We had teachers at my first school who would stand outside glass doors and smoke any chance they could in plain view of students. I used to cringe every time I saw that!
    I was a smoker for 32 years and I never have smoked near school. I would just die if one of my students saw me smoking!!! (I quit cold turkey on May 23, 2006!!!!!)

36. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2006

Congratulations! That is a difficult thing to do!

37. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 6, 2006

Ann, I think they might roll their eyes at the very least. Like I said, when I see someone with tatoos across their knuckles, I immediately think of a 7th. grade kid not knowing any better. Ya know, if someone wants a tatoo soooooo bad, maybe they should get the fake ones and see just how much they like the idea a year or two later!!! Our oldest son went through the "gotta have tatoos stage" and has mentioned that he really doesn't like the one on his chest.He's 30 and a father...stuck with this tatoo that he's not all that crazy about.

38. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 6, 2006

Congrats Ann! I know how tough it is to quit. I smoked for 15 years and quit Oct 1999-Cold Turkey!!!!! My hubby still smokes though (outside).

I also have a tattoo on my arm but keep it hidden at school. So I can't wear short sleeves even when it's 95 degrees in the building!!! I got it 18 years ago when I had no idea I'd be a teacher someday.

39. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 6, 2006

Thanks!
    That's too bad about the tatoo on your arm. Is it real big?

40. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

I always wanted a tatoo, and I even held out in college because of the whole "teacher image!" But then I started teaching!!!! It was my 5th year of teaching (horrible year!!) that drove me and a couple of others to go get one the last night of school! :) Of course they are not visible, but I think it's funny that as much as I love my job, it can also cause me to want to be rebellious! :)

41. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Aug 6, 2006

No, not really. Its about a 2 inch diameter (is that right math teachers?) of the sun with pretty leaves around it).

At the age of 18 my best friend inherited 20 thousand dollars. So what do she do? She pays for us to get tattoos. She got a big 6 inch heart with a dagger through it! At least I was a little more sensible. This happened 18 years ago during our heavy metal years! LOL. (which I must say I miss!)