College pennants

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Jul 22, 2010.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jul 22, 2010

This year I really want to encourage my students to start thinking of their future. I want to have different college pennants in my classroom. The problem is they are expensive, has any one sent letters to colleges requesting them? Any ideas on how to get started? I sent out a few emails, but I think it would be more proffesional if I sent out the letter. I would like at least one per state or even just a few to get started. Ideas please!?!?:dizzy:

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

Our local universities are very willing to give pennants ... our librarian asked via letter.

I'm not sure she asked universities that are farther away.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 22, 2010

My school did this a few years ago, and we had a lot of success. Honestly, we just did it by word of mouth though. We got the local schools to donate one of theirs, and then the teachers stepped up and got one for a lot of their schools. As we started displaying them, more and more people would come in and say, "Hey, what about school X" and the next thing you know, we'd have a pennant for that school. It takes some time, but we have well 50 pennants now! :)

5. LMT

LMT Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

We did this several years ago and got a HUGE response...we have pennants from all over the US hanging in our hallways.

This was done by letter. Many of the universities/colleges also sent t-shirts, etc.!

6. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2010

It gets harder and harder every year to get these. Whereas 3 years ago they'd send us shirts, pens, pennants, etc., now we get a postcard with a link to their recruitment website.

The best results, I've found, come from kids sending in letters. You will also find more success, generally, with smaller private schools that need the advertising.

Good luck!