College GPA

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by Darshan, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Darshan

Darshan Rookie

Jul 12, 2005

How important is your college GPA in applying for a high school teaching job? Ive heard different things, so I was wondering what the general consensus was on this topic. Ive heard some schools/districts dont weigh it in as much, and look at specific subjects, and some require a 3.0 or higher, in which case Im FUBAR.

3. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 12, 2005

i think it's fairly important. however, i wasn't exactly the novel student either (i struggled from grade school on with no recognition to my learning disability...found that out in college!). i still carry an "f" from my college, however, i graduated magna cum laude and was on the dean's list many many times. so i think it's all in how you carry yourself as well as your gpa.

just my thoughts.
    LC

4. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Jul 12, 2005

I would say it's important for your first teaching job, but after that, not so much.

5. TeachGrd1

TeachGrd1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2005

Im going to agree with the above poster saying that it's important for your first job. I graduated with a 3.95 and that definitely helped me land a job early on. The district I am working in considered GPA was the number one factor deciding on who to interview. After the interview, many other factors came in to play. On the brightside for you, high school should be much easier to get an interview with depending on your subject. Also if you have solid work experience, maybe some subbing then you should be fine. The GPA will help if you have no connections though.

6. FLteacher22

FLteacher22 Rookie

Jul 12, 2005

Wow I'm really shocked by all of this. I was hired before my transcripts even made it to the school board. The principal was just concerned with the fact that I actually met the requirements for my Bachelor's degree, which he verified from the college I went to, and that I had passed all of the state mandated tests.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 12, 2005

I had a professor in college telling us that sometimes, teachers with a less-than-stellar GPA are looked at more favorably than someone with all A's or almost all A's, because they can better relate to the kids who struggle... so if the GPA issue comes up and that's your situation, maybe you can push that point. ;)

Most of the places I interviewed, though, commented on my great grades (3.82), magna cum laude, etc.

8. Irissa

Irissa Cohort

Jul 13, 2005

Maybe it depends on how much they need teachers. I haven't seen to may school districts out here that even look at your gpa. In florida anyway they are more concerned with will you have your degree and have you passed your exams.

A better indicator than GPA is your grade in internship. (At least if you have had a good experience there.)

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 13, 2005

I am not sure how important it is but I am sure it varies from distract to distract. Some schools want your college transcripts but some don't even ask.

10. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Jul 13, 2005

I don't think that my GPA came into play at all. They were more concerned with my Praxis scores I think. I also think that if they do look at your transcripts, high grades in your subject area or in your education classes would be what they are looking for.

11. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 13, 2005

I would agree with luvmykids also... I think it's more important to have good grades in your major/subject area than in your gen eds...

12. carolinesmom18

carolinesmom18 Rookie

Jul 13, 2005

A number of school districts in the Pittsburgh area won't even give you an interview if you have below at 3.0. Your QPA and Praxis scores are a huge part of whether you even get an interview.

13. byrd

byrd New Member

Jul 13, 2005

I graduated cum laude, and believe me it didn't make a difference when I was applying for my first teaching job. When it came to looking for a job, the amount of experience I had was a much bigger deal than my GPA. I even put my GPA on my resume in hopes that it would help, but I didn't notice that it did.

Good luck!

14. jenmcc

jenmcc Rookie

Jul 13, 2005

I don't think that my GPA figured into the district hiring me. I was hired because the principal liked me and what I had said at my interview. During my interview my principal told me she was looking for someone that would fit into the teaching staff at the school. I had similar teaching styles and philosophy to the rest of the staff and the principal and that is why I was hired. I was not even asked about my GPA or anything about my schooling. I did talk about my student teaching experience but that was it.

15. dee

dee Companion

Jul 14, 2005

I do not think that GPA is a factor in my area, they are concerned with a degree and being Highly Qualified(Praxis). I was not asked about my GPA from anyone.

16. cmeldrid

cmeldrid Rookie

Jul 18, 2005

Some school boards do take this into consideration. I was offered a job before I graduated at the school I student taught at. And the principal was excited to have me but, the school board had different ideas and said that my grades were not that great. Even though I had positive evaluations that prinicipal had observed me teach and I passed both of the required parts of the PRAXIS 2. But the prinicpal thought it was very unfair that she felt I could relate better in Math because of my low grades. The principal even appealed to the school board, with no luck.Good luck I did get hired at my next interview with another school district. I wish you the best of luck and do not have to go through with what I did.

17. tara jean

tara jean Rookie

Jul 19, 2005

I too was hired with out my test scores or transcripts seeing the desk of those hiring me. (I have a 2.9 undergrad gpa, and a 3.6 grad school gpa)
    I would say, focus on your interview, know the district, and be impressive. I imagine they more want to see how you play in their office then on paper. 4.0 doesn't make you a compelling interesting teacher. (doesn't discount it either, but you hear what i'm saying)

18. futureiowateach

futureiowateach Rookie

Jul 19, 2005

Its sad but true... in this district, if you graduated from this district you automatically have a job somewhere somehow, they will find a place for you. they love Alumni teaching here(and i stand behind that 100%, teahcers that grew up in the district and in the town will want the school to suceed more than a 1st year teacher using it as a steping stone..) anyways or if you hvae a family member that teachings here you got yourself a job...

19. leslye

leslye Rookie

Jul 19, 2005

I definitely think for the most part it's how you answer the interview questions and your level of confidence. I went on 7 interviews before I landed my position and no one seem concerned about GPA's. I feel the number one reason I got the job was that I had my answers down pat to any question that came my way from all the practice I got! Good, strong answers are key, but answering with enthusiasm and confidence is what will get you the job! Good luck!