College Attendance Policies

Discussion in 'College' started by Brendan, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 25, 2011

I'm teaching an Intro to World History course at local state college this summer. I'm developing my syllabus and am curious as to what everyone's college attendance policies are and what your personal attendance policy is.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2011

My college attendance policy depended on class on the enforcement. The overall statement was if you miss 3 classes, you are dropped from the class. But each professor could decide to what to beyond this or if they would drop you after 3. Some just made it a grade and if you showed, you showed....if not, oh well.

4. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Apr 25, 2011

The university's policy: if you miss more than 25% of classes, you automatically fail.

My department's policy: if you have more than 3 unexcused absences, you will begin losing points off your final grade.

5. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Apr 25, 2011

3 or less days has no penalty.

4-6 class periods equals a 10% deduction in your final grade.

More than 6 results in an F.

We are on a 2 day a week schedule (MW/TR), so missing 6 classes means you missed 3 weeks of class.

The only one of these that is a college rule is the six absence rule. We are free to have our own in addition to that. As long as it is not overly harsh (ie: missing 1 class equals an F), the administration upholds it.

Generally as long as you follow school/department policy and you communicate it on your syllabus, then you shouldn't have any worries.

6. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Apr 25, 2011

And good luck with your class.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 25, 2011

Attendance policy? What's that? Honestly, I didn't care if you showed up or not. Of course, I also allowed make up tests only in extreme, documentable circumstances and my final grades (except in the lowest level college prep courses) were based entirely on the 3 exam grades, and my willingness to help you outside of class was in direct proportion to your willingness to show up, so not showing up tended to result in failure with or without an official policy.

8. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Apr 25, 2011

At the first college I attended, there was no overall attendance policy. It was up to the teacher's discretion.

At the second college I attended, it was based on the days per week. 1 day classes (3 hours), we could miss 1. 2 day classes (1 hr 15 min), we could miss 2 and 3 day classes (50 min), we could miss 3. These were unexcused absences. Professors were responsible for reporting unexcused absences. Some professors did not take attendance and left it up to the student's discretion anyways.

9. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 25, 2011

Same at my university that I currently attend.

10. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Apr 25, 2011

Thanks everyone, at the college level I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. The grade is based upon a midterm (25%), final (25%), reaction papers (25%), and a term paper (25%). I don't think I'll take attendance or have an official attendance policy because the hand holding needs to stop somewhere. That what I did when I taught this fall and it seemed to work.

11. BLHutch25

BLHutch25 Rookie

Apr 25, 2011

You are certainly correct. My college requires us to turn in attendance records at the end of each semester, otherwise I would do the same.

I'm okay with taking it each day for my own records, but turning it in at the end of the semester is a bit much. Those are the rules though, and so I follow them.

(Students on the other hand, don't have to follow rules....:D )

12. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

May 11, 2011

For what it's worth, I'm currently a student at a community college. Most of my teachers have employed the "three absences and you're out" rule, but one of my teachers this semester really doesn't care. She doesn't take roll and attendance isn't included in our grade. Because of this, about 50% of the class only shows up for tests. I show up to every class. Personally, I find it frustrating that these students can, in theory, receive the same grade and credits that I do by barely showing up to class.

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 11, 2011

I had a teacher like this. I loved it! Because my math score was two points too low on the SAT or ACT or whichever they used, they would not allow me to take above a trig course my freshman year. I had taken through Calc 3 in high school, so I wasn't going to learn much from the college algebra/trig course, the only one that would fit in my schedule. I went the first day, saw that the only two grades were the midterm and final, went for the midterm review and final review and made an A in the class. Why would I go to all of those classes if I already knew the material, and I wouldn't be graded on assignments?

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

May 11, 2011

I think my college had an attendance policy but I never paid attention to it since I didn't miss enough classes to be worried. I know that some of my professors gave a participation grade so if you were absent you got a 0 for participation on that day.

15. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 11, 2011

I was always irritated by attendance policies in college. I was paying for the class, I should be able to go when I wanted.

(FTR-I never missed class. I just didn't want someone telling me I HAD to)

16. HMM

HMM Cohort

May 11, 2011

Same here. :agreed:

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 11, 2011

In college most of my general ed. requirement classes (history, math, science, etc. that everyone has to take- not gen. ed as in related to teaching) had the policy that you showed up if you wanted to and that's what you got out of the class. I remember my freshman year taking this history class where people kept asking the prof. if they could leave 10 mins. early or come in late or miss such and such day, and finally he just told us to stop asking, we were in college and it was our choice to show up or not. I think that's a good policy. At some point people need to start being responsible for themselves and not be treated like babies if they have something else that they really need to do. The only gen. ed. classes that had a policy that I can think of was an English class where we got to miss 3 classes. The prof. didn't care when or why you took them but you couldn't have more than 3.

In my teacher education classes, it was completely different. We were not allowed to miss, be late, or leave early for any reason. If you were sick you had to bring in a dr.'s note. I think this was mostly due to the fact that we spent the majority of time in teacher education classes teaching in the schools. Most classes were set up to have class for about 3-4 weeks at the beginning of the semester, and then for the rest teach four days a week and have class one day a week. I guess they were trying to prepare us for teaching and not being able to be absent. Also, if you're only having the traditional class once a week you really don't want anyone to miss it.

18. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 11, 2011

AMEN!

19. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

May 12, 2011

I guess you all have a point. I think my biggest issue is how people will show up 30 minutes late or leave really early and they disrupt the class by zipping, unzipping, dropping water bottles, making noise with papers, etc. UGH!

20. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 12, 2011

There's an easy fix to that. Lock the door. Don't let anyone in late. As far as leaving early, I really can't remember anyone doing that in any of my classes, unless it was prearranged with the prof. Once you're there, you're there.

21. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

May 12, 2011

Amen!!
    That always drove me nuts.

22. mb_teacher

mb_teacher Companion

May 12, 2011

During my student teaching, we were only allowed 3 absent days the entire year...thanks in part to the lazies from the previous year. If we missed, we failed student teaching. I could understand this in part; we were in someone else's school, dealing with their kids.

However, if we missed, drs notes didn't even help. It was counted against us. One girl was dealing with her mother's cancer and she wasn't even given lenience. This, I didn't feel was fair, though.

23. Geologygirl

Geologygirl Comrade

May 14, 2011

At my university if a student missed more than 1/3rd of the class they get a automatic WU which counts as a withdraw if done in the first year they are at the college, and a F if it is after thier first year in college.

24. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

May 14, 2011

At my community college you could apparently pass even if you didn't go. I dropped a history class (didn't officially drop it; I just stopped going after a few classes). Imagine my surprise a year later when I got my transcripts and saw I passed the class.:lol:

25. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 18, 2011

That doesn't seem fair. I can understand making strict policies so students aren't taking too many "mental health" days, but sometimes things really do just happen. I got a horrible case of food poisoning Monday and have been home from school the past 2 days and will definitely be home tomorrow too. Being this sick I absolutely could not function at school at all no matter how badly I want to be there.

26. Loomis

Loomis Rookie

May 30, 2011

I don't recall any of my teachers being all that hard about attendance for the most part when I was attending community college except with some religion classes. The first week or two they took attendance then after that they would stop.

At the university level my professors were a little strict.

I think its sorta pointless to an extent, those of whom who are serious about learning will be in class those who don't won't be and will either drop the class or flunk.

What a few of my professors did/do and I did my last semester of teaching was tell the students the first day that attendance is important because not everything that's going to be covered in class will be from the book plus class participation plays a part in overall grade.

And Congrats on teaching that good subject, second only to Government ;)

27. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

May 30, 2011

Taking attendance can be really important in a college setting.

For example, if a student had a family tragedy and stopped coming, at my previous university she could apply for a tuition refund. If the professor could show that she hadn't been in class since (for example) January 20, and she could document her family trouble, they'd refund the money. No records: no money. We're talking about thousands of dollars.

At state universities, the legislature sometimes requires attendance as a way to try to enforce a certain standard of instruction. It's true that you can't *make* anyone show up, but they like to be able to compile statistics.

Also, Loomis you're right that people who don't show up usually flunk. But you'd be amazed at how many of those people then try to challenge the grade. Having attendance records helps professors to defend the grading.

28. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 30, 2011

At a really large public university in my home city, you could literally sign up for a class, never show up, come for the exam and pass. That would NEVER fly at my university, but at this school people did it all the time. They'd just get the study guide from someone and study/read on their own, take the class as pass/fail and show up for the exam. Although I can see the argument "if they can pass, why not" I think it's important to remember that these students are going to be entering the adult workforce soon, and they need to take some responsibility and understand how the real world works. Even if you theoretically can get all your work done in 2 days, it's not an option to skip the office for the other 3 days of the week.

My dad had a student teacher from this same university. In his first week there, the student teacher had missed three days. When my dad asked where he was, his response was literally, "sorry man...I was really hungover." Needless to say, my dad relieved him of his student teaching responsibilites. After getting numerous student teachers from this university that had similar issues, my dad's district finally told the university office that they would no longer accept any student teachers from them.