College and Working Fulltime?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by toiatoi, Oct 18, 2012.

1. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Oct 18, 2012

I was not sure where to place this post. I tried going to school online which was just a complete JOKE and waste of my money. (I know some people are successful with online classes but they are just not for me).
    I work fulltime and they do not offer night or weekend classes in my area for Education courses and my current job does not offer part time.
    I may get a job as a para in the school district that will help with that issue, but it is not a sure thing yet.

So my question is, for those of you who work full time and still go to school, how do you do it? Or if you exclusively go to school, how do you afford it with no income? My husband works but I make more than he does, and we have two children, so I need to be very careful about or money. Any advice? Thanks

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 18, 2012

I didn't have the option to not work throughout college. I guess being forced to helped. ;)

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 18, 2012

I taught full time and went to grad school at night. I would teach all day (four different classes/grade levels at two schools), and then I would drive 20 miles to the next town once or twice a week and have class from 6:00-9:00.

5. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Oct 18, 2012

Work third shift.

(And while you've already passed this point) Put off marriage and kids until you've landed a fulltime position. It'll help when the bills come in.

That's what I did.

;)

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 18, 2012

One of my college friends did the third shift thing.

She worked overnight stocking at Toys r Us. She worked 11:00-7:00. Then she had classes from 8:00-10:15 two days and 8:00-11:30 two days a week. The fifth day alternated class hours. She was home by noon every day. She really loved it.

7. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Oct 19, 2012

It's possible

I worked graveyard shift all through undergrad at 7-11 as well as every day at my theatre shop. In grad school, I worked 3 part-time jobs that equaled on full-time. I kept one when i first started teaching. Of course, I didn't have kids at the time. I was really tired for quite a few years, but if you have a goal in mind, it's doable. It's probabyl why I still overwork--I don't know what to do with myself if I'm home not working.

My schedule in undergrad was much like this--class every day from either 8:30-2:00 or 10-4, choir practice until 6, theatre shop until 11, 7-11 until 5 a.m. Thursday-Monday. In graduate school, classes 9-4, except on Mon. and Wednesday, when they started at 12. I worked one job on those two days from 9-11, my second job every day from 5-9, then my third job 9:30 -12, plus all day Saturday.

8. alm111

alm111 Rookie

Oct 21, 2012

Just make sure your job is not one that extends beyond the work day. Retail/waitress/call center/para/sub, etc. would be ideal, as the job ends when you walk out the door.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Oct 21, 2012

I worked three part time jobs while going to school full time. That worked for me since I was still covered under my parents' medical insurance plan.

10. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 21, 2012

I will be going to school full time and working full time as well. I do work 2nd shift (2:30-10:30) though and most of the classes will be held in the morning. If not, the person who does the scheduling is able to be flexible enough to put me on a split shift or change my hours for those days.

11. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Oct 21, 2012

It's tiring but doable. I work till 310, then have classes two days a week. The good thing is it's a hybrid course, so we only have to be there in person every other week. The other good thing is I'll be done the last week of November!

12. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 21, 2012

I got hired in special ed as an alt. route candidate so my first year teaching I taught full-time , went to school at night and also was a mom to my two children. It was not an ideal situation but we made it through.

13. toiatoi

toiatoi Rookie

Oct 21, 2012

Thank you everyone for the feedback. I am hoping to get a para job that would give me the time needed to go to school. I can't work overnight because my husband works at 4:30 in the morning and we have no one to watch the kids overnight. We have no family anywhere near us. My current job there is no flexibility, so I'm praying I get one of the millions of jobs I applied for that ends early enough to take a few classes.

14. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2012

If you have to do it then you will. I worked all through college, plus I was already married and we had our daughter.

15. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Oct 21, 2012

When I was doing undergrad, I worked full time in a bookstore. At times I was working during the day a couple days a week and had night classes on those days. I worked lots of nights.

I was in a 9 month credential program. It would have been very difficult to do that and work. One (out of 20 of us) did that.