collecting unemployment for the summer

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by kpteacher, Jun 7, 2010.

1. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Jun 7, 2010

does anyone know anything about this? I have read so many different things...I am in PA

3. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 7, 2010

In NY you can't. I would call your district HR person and ask them since you want to know specific to your position.

If you are a casual sub and they are taking you back in the Fall, I would doubt you would be eligible.

4. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jun 7, 2010

You can't get unemployment during a recess period here in CA. You should have been given a letter of reasonable assurance that you will work after the break.

5. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 7, 2010

I actually did do this a few years back I believe. Funny thing... I did it, and when the paperwork went back to the district office to verify my unemployed status... and after they already sent me the form saying they don't need me to work for the summer--they started using me, and used me all that summer. :p

6. Subber

Subber Companion

Jun 12, 2010

Which state was it?

Here in CA, in my district, they don't send a letter to say that they don't need me in the summer. Instead, at the beginning of the summer, as soon as the schools (except the year round ones) are out, they send a letter form stating that they assume that I will constinue to work for the next academic year with no restriction unless I fill the form stating which subjects and grade I do not want to make myself available. I guess, that's one way of saying that I am stilll employed though I will not get anywork in the summer.

May be one way to get work in the summer is to file unemployment.
    But, without a letter like yours, it'd be a lot of pushing, that is if I am allowed to file it. If you're in CA, any info or tips? I am not too keen on filing though. Better spend my energy to focus on my other

7. Subber

Subber Companion

Jun 12, 2010

Is that the case even if one doesn't get any work in the summer? One sub told me that after not getting some work for so many days, call EDD, saying about not getting work and pushing for it.
    I wonder whether anyone in CA tried that. I think that with this economy, the district would fight it.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 12, 2010

I'm in CA & I know for a fact, I've gotten it during more than 1 summer break in the past. I'm trying to get it this summer, but I'm still waiting.

9. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jun 12, 2010

Really!? I thought we could not get unemployment in CA. Let us know the outcome.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 12, 2010

Will do.

11. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Jun 13, 2010

If you check the EDD website it states that a school employee is not eligible for unemployment during a recess period if that employee has reasonable assurance of returning to work after the recess period. You can attempt to fill out the paper work, but if they see that you are just off for the summer they will probably not pay you.
    Keep in mind though that quite a few of my fellow laid off teachers and myself are on unemployment and each time we call or deal with unemployment each of us has been told something different so one person may get paid during the summer while someone else will not.
    Good luck.

12. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 13, 2010

When I was let go at the end of the year I colelcted unemployment, but when I have a job for the fall, I cannot collect unemployment. It's a hazard of teaching to only work 10 months, it's expected. However, if your job isn't continued, then you are unemployed. Subs here can't collect unemployment.

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 13, 2010

It really isn't a hazard - most of us sign contracts only for the number of school days. I only get paid for those days that school is actually in session even though my paycheck is spread out over 12 months. I don't see how even if you aren't coming back in the fall you can begin to collect unemployement in the summer because your aren't employed during the summer.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 15, 2010

Yay! Got a check in the mail today for dates 5/22 - 5/29. (I mailed my latest continued claim form this past Mon.)

15. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jun 16, 2010

I thought we didn't qualify... but there ya go!

16. bora

bora Rookie

Feb 8, 2014

I had a question. I work for Kelly Edu. Staffing as a substitute teacher. I heard that we can collect unemployment benefits during summer since we are not hired by the Department of Education but a staffing agency. Is this true?

17. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Feb 9, 2014

Yes, I think you can if it's a private employer like Source4 or Kelly. Are you working for any other districts or just Kelly? Districts that don't use a staffing agency make you sign a form, saying you will agree to sign those reasonable assurance of work letters. And if you get one of those in July, your claim will probably be rejected.

18. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Feb 9, 2014

No. I actually got laid off from a position, and I could not collect unemployment until I would have technically been teaching again. Luckily another position opened up, and I didn't need it anyway.

19. bora

bora Rookie

Feb 16, 2014

Thanks Milsey. No I work just for Kelly:)

Nicole M Townsend likes this.
  20. Nicole M Townsend

Nicole M Townsend Rookie

Jun 12, 2017

Just wondering if you ever received on unemployment check working for Kelly??

21. Nicole M Townsend

Nicole M Townsend Rookie

Jun 12, 2017

Hello,
    I was just wondering if you ever received an unemployment check during the summer working for Kelly?
    Thanks
    Nicole

22. Nicole M Townsend

Nicole M Townsend Rookie

Jun 12, 2017

23. Nicole M Townsend

Nicole M Townsend Rookie

Jun 12, 2017

Hello
    I was wondering if you ever received an unemployment check during summer working for Kelly Educational Services?
    Thanks,
    Nicole

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2017

Have you been offered a contract for next year?

25. Nicole M Townsend

Nicole M Townsend Rookie

Jun 12, 2017

No ma'am.

26. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2017

So Kelly us a temp agency? Doubtful you can collect but check with your local Kelly office/ unemployment benefits office.

27. Nicole M Townsend

Nicole M Townsend Rookie

Jun 12, 2017

Well I don't know exactly what they are. It's an agency just for substitutes. I think I will he able to because the district I was hired for transitioned to this company.. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks.

28. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2017

Best of luck with that. By its very nature, agencies that supply subs are aware that you can't supply workers when there are no jobs available. This used to be a situation with school bus drivers who have no work in the summer. NJ, for a while, allowed them to receive unemployment in the summer, but that has gone by the wayside because like substitute teachers, it is implied that your services are not needed when the students are not in school. Source4Teachers does not pay unemployment to subs in the summer, just like districts. Teachers who are not working in the summer are not eligible for unemployment, so I suspect that agencies who provide placements for subs will not be eligible for benefits either. For your sake, I hope I am wrong, but suspect that just like regular teachers, if you need money during the summer, you will need to find some sort of job to tide you over. I subbed for a number of years, and that was fact of life #1.

29. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jun 13, 2017

Agree. I do think I recall though, back in the day, applying for unemployment during the summer. I happen to be on the summer school (sub) list too, for the district. Coincidentally or not, after that, that summer I do remember getting called and working most days as a summer sub teacher.

30. RussianBlueMommy

RussianBlueMommy Comrade

Aug 17, 2017

in Texas you get a letter of reasonable assurance. AKA No unemployment.