Collecting unemployment after contract not renewed?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Megs114, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Megs114

Megs114 Rookie

Apr 30, 2013

Hi Everyone!

I'm sure this has been brought up numerous times so I apologize for the repeat.

I live and teach in NJ. I'm currently finishing up my first year at a school for students with Autism. To say I had a difficult year would be putting it nicely. Before arriving at this school, I had six years of experience working with students with Autism as a teacher's assistant/maternity leave position. I looked elsewhere for a position because the school I was at did not have any teaching positions available. I landed this job and I thought it was going to be amazing. It wasn't. It was a completely different program that I was unfamiliar with (which they knew when they interviewed me), was asked to be trained (but never was), and was thrown into a classroom with severe behavioral problems. Normally, I would be fine, but at a school with a different program than I'm used to, I struggled. I wasn't even introduced to my mentor until two weeks into the school year. As the year went on, I thought I had the hang of everything. Should I have gone to my mentor with questions? Probably. However, I did not know the correct questions to be asking when I thought I was doing everything the way they were supposed to be done. As the year went on, I asked more questions and got feedback. My first two observations went really well. This one, however, I guess didn't (when my P didn't even come in to observe me so I don't know where this evaluation came from).

I was told today that my contract will not be renewed for next year. I had a feeling that it wasn't so I had already started applying/interviewing. I landed a really awesome summer job but I still haven't heard anything for the fall yet. In NJ, would I qualify for unemployment if I don't find something by the fall? I've heard mixed reviews. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

3. teach42

teach42 Comrade

May 2, 2013

I think you would but check with your union rep.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 2, 2013

Call the unemployment office and ask.

In my district, you wouldn't receive unemployment. The district does some shady stuff and doesn't really terminate you, they just put you on an extended leave of absence, which makes you ineligible for unemployment. I don't know how many other districts do it that way.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 15, 2013

Yes, you will absolutely collect unemployment. Do not wait until the fall to file!! File for unemployment immediately after your last day of unemployment.

I'm sorry this has happened to you. I hope you find something for the fall soon.

6. Megs114

Megs114 Rookie

May 19, 2013

Thanks everyone! I wound up finding a job for the fall so I'm set in that department. However, my P said that as long as I come to work, continue to ask questions, and pretty much do my job than he'll recommend me for my standard certificate (in NJ you have to do a year of teaching with a provisional license in order to get your standard certificate). It kind of scares me that he said that there is a chance that he wouldn't give it to me. My husband thinks this is a scare tactic to make sure I don't use the rest of my sick days but it makes me uneasy to think that after all the work I put in (and had 2 good observations) that they won't give me my standard certificate. Has anyone heard of this before?

7. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

May 31, 2013

I think you would still qualify for unemployment during the summer.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 31, 2013

Mind your Ps and Qs. Do your job. Show up. Be a professional. You'll get your needed paperwork.:2cents:

Congrats on the new job for fall!

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2013

Good luck with the Summer job, and I hope you will find something for the Fall.
    Prayers coming your way!
    Rebel1

10. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 1, 2013

Won't you still get paid in the summer from your previous job? If so I don't see how you would qualify for unemployment since you have a new job set up. My district offers incentives for people to resign rather than be non-renewed (they know all of the non-renewals look bad for them, although I'd think all of the resignations would too), one of which is that they won't contest your unemployment.

11. Megs114

Megs114 Rookie

Jun 2, 2013

Thanks everyone!

That's exactly what I've been doing czacza lol. I just hope I find out sooner rather than later if I am being recommended for my standard certificate. Do you know when they normally let you know by?

Waterfall, this school has an optional summer program, which in order to get people to work, they don't offer for you to collect pay throughout the summer.

12. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

Congratulations on finding a position. I know it must be such a great feeling!

And good luck in the summer too :)