Collecting supplies

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by otterpop, Aug 23, 2015.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 23, 2015

What supplies do you collect for class use on the first day?

Pencils
    Notebook paper
    Whiteboard markers
    Highlighters?
    ...?

On one hand, I really want a lot of community supplies (instead of individual), but on the other, I feel bad for the kids who picked "special" highlighters and then give them away right when they get to class.

3. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Aug 23, 2015

I am going to try using mainly individual supplies. The only things I am going to pick up are loose leaf paper, tissues, and hand sanitizer. I'm going to leave 4 pencils, a glue stick, scissors, and a highlighter in their pouches. The rest of the supplies will go into a gallon ziplock bag with their name and then into my supply closet. If they run out of something during the day they can borrow until the end of the day when I will get it out of the closet.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 23, 2015

I like the idea of ziplock bags. What pouches do you use? Do you provide them, or do they?

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2015

I collect the crayons, pencils, glue sticks, and erasers...I too feel bad when they've picked out something special, but in recent years I have moved towards more communal supplies than individual...

6. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 23, 2015

I only collect items that are not personal use, and that we need for the whole class.

boxes of tissue
    notebook paper
    red pens
    pencils

Everything else they need for their pencil box, I put what they need to get started...sharpened pencil, eraser, dry eraser, scissors, highlighter, crayons; and the rest in a Gallon Zip Bag with their name on it, and then in a box I keep in the bottom of my cupboard. Students are required to ask me for items they need during recess times or if I'm not busy teaching or working with a student.

I don't do community sharing with the items they brought for personal use because they're expensive for parents to buy and sharing colds is not caring when it comes to sharing more supplies than necessary. :) (Just my honest opinion.)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 23, 2015

Collecting supplies is kind of like that part in Fantasia when Mickey is trying to sweep out the water and the more he sweeps, the deeper the flood.

8. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Aug 23, 2015

A zipper pouch or a box were on their school supply box.

9. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 23, 2015

I pick up their supplies and put them in baggies with their names on it and the baggies are passed out when needed. They only use their own things but they don't always have them to play with or lose.

They keep some of their pencils and erasers.

I do pick up tissue and notebook paper for community use.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 24, 2015

When I was self-contained, I only picked up tissue, paper towels, pencils, and loose-leaf. Now that we are departmentalized, I have to compromise due to coworkers. I have glue and scissors that I provide, they have scissors, but no glue, so our boys brought glue. I sent the bottles I collected to them. They don't want kids packing pencil boxes/pouches , and they have always picked up crayons. So now I also pick up crayons and make them communal. We ask for a box of 24. I had one parent send 48 and another sent 64. I do feel a twinge guilty about picking them up, but our list is clear. They chose to send extra.