Collecting Homework/Behavior Mgt. in Third or Fourth Grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Aug 9, 2011

What system do you use if a student fails to return homework/classwork on time? Our students' work is due the next morning, and loss of recess until it is finished is enough to give most kids the incentive to get it turned in. I have tried rewarding those who turn it in on time, so that it is a positive thing, but I get so tired of trying to give out stickers or punch cards because the kids did what was expected of them! I also nearly go broke buying rewards (I DO use a lot of things that don't cost money, like homework passes).

I have been using a card pulling system for behavior management, but I don't usually pull a card for homework since 1 card is only the loss of 5 minutes of recess. I really don't want to pull cards again this year, but don't have any better ideas for individual behavior management.

PLEASE SHARE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU WITH HOMEWORK CONSEQUENCES/REWARDS AS WELL AS BEHAVIOR MANAGEMENT FOR INDIVIDUAL STUDENTS (not whole class rewards).:thanks:

3. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2011

http://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/2010/07/31/effective-homework-plan-for-teachers-part-1/
    This is what I do and it works. I could not do it any other way. It is smart, effecient and on the spot. I know the first ten minutes of the day who did HW and who did not. If they did not do it, they will stay in at recess until it is finished. If it isn't finished, they will go in another room and finish. If this happens the next day, they will still have to do it. If it becomes a pattern there will be a call home to inform the parents that it is not being done at home, maybe they should stay after school or come early to school to get it done. I also am careful not to make HW be too much; a sheet of spelling and a sheet of math. On Thursdays they usually get a writing assignment.

4. MsDeb

MsDeb Comrade

Aug 9, 2011

I feel your pain! I've toyed with the idea of not giving homework at all because I'm frustrated too! But I don't think that will go over well in my school!

I use Homeworkopoly on Fridays as a reward for those who've done all of their homework. This rewards those who do their homework and they love it. It helps motivate some. Most of the prizes are free. BUT there was always a group who hardly ever did homework. If we have some free time or fun activity and they were missing homework - that's what those students would work on. This didn't always work out so well though because it was difficult to manage and it made me feel so mean. :(

The kids who hardly ever do homework are in less than ideal home situations (about half my class). This year I'm going to try to give less homework and more time during the day to get it done. I'm going to try to give them a 10-15 minute "study hall" every day. I'd rather have them practice where they can get help than have them not do it or just scribble down any old thing.

I can't wait to read other's suggestions!!

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 9, 2011

I am using the smart classroom management techniques next year too. I am hoping they work!!

As for homework, I don't think it should be rewarded, since they are supposed to do it... but, you could do something if EVERYONE in the class turns it in for a week- say an extra recess, or a game in the classroom. This may be motivating for some. Or do a game with those who did the homework every day all week. Everyone else has a silent work time. I wouldn't give anything tangible for doing homework. I also wouldn't take the time to do something like homeworkopoly, though lots of teachers swear by that.

I don't do a pull card system, and never have. I am planning on rewarding whole class behavior by writing up the letters SOMETHING SPECIAL on the board and filling them in when the whole class is focused, working hard, etc. Then, I will plan something special for them- for example, a reading period outside on a sunny day, an extra recess, an art project, etc.

My actual solution to this problem is just not to do homework!! I am only doing a read log next year, and it will be so simple, the parents only have to initial when they read 20 minutes. They keep the same log all month. The consequence for not doing it will be guilt trips for the parents, as I will be reminding them the importance of reading at home OFTEN in my newsletters.