Collecting Books for Class Library

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DreamToTeach, Aug 1, 2007.

1. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I have 4 years left of study before I officially become a teacher. I was thinking that it might be a good idea to start collecting books for my class library. But, of course, at this point I don't know what grade I'll be teaching. Is it a good idea to get a wide range of books? Should I just wait? Any suggestions? Thanks!

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

I bought 10-20 books when I was in college. I just graduated in May and got a job-and I bought all my books this summer. I knew exactly what grade I was teaching, so I could go to thrift stores, book stores, and other places to look for the books I needed.

I personally wouldn't buy too many, cause you could end up with lots of 6th grade books and then teach 1st. I would recommend only buying "classics" for each grade level. Then you don't end up with a lot of books you really don't want or need.

4. funeoz

funeoz Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

I would look for books that can be used as mini-lessons across grade levels so...start reading books and thinking of how you personally could connect it to a comprehension or writing skill. Those are the books to buy now.

5. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

What grade range will you be licensed to teach? I got a lot of books during college, even though I didn't know what grade I would be teaching. I just couldn't help myself! My range is PreK-3, so I knew if I got a 1st grade book, I could read it aloud to K, or 2nd could read it themselves. Anyway, I have only regretted a few of the books I bought. Its hard to pass up good deals.

6. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Aug 2, 2007

You will need all ranges.
    Another thought someday you will have children and you will have a library at home. Wow. Level them as you get them.

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 2, 2007

When I was in college, I bought about 100 books... for middle school. I ended up moving out of state and did not want to bring them, so sold them to a teacher on craigstlist. I actually made money, because I got most of them at a library sale, where a grocery bag of books was $1.

I would not recommend it. I kept my favorites but they are sitting on my shelf at home b/c I can't use them in my class.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

I got some books through my reading courses at the university. I also got some at the school I was student teaching at. I had a good range (k-8), but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy the books, especially since you don't know what grade you will be teaching. I do agree that you should pick up some of the classics that you could use for read alouds and minilessons. Picutre books are the best because you can use them from kinder up as read alouds or minilessons.

9. katenar

katenar Cohort

Aug 2, 2007

I started purchasing books 2 years before I was officially a teacher - I was working at a hotel as a Catering Manager and every week I would receive a box from E-bay or somewhere with books for me. I knew I wanted to teach 3 -5 grade but I also added books from other age levels as well including lots of picture books. In my opinion the more you can buy now - the more money you'll have when you ARE a teacher to buy the other things. :2up:

By the time I started teaching I had close to 900 books! :woot: The great thing was I started the year with a full library and didn't go broke doing it.

10. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 2, 2007

When I was in college, I knew that I wanted to teach in the primanry grades (k-3). I knew this because I worked at an afterschool program (K-5) so I had a lot of experience with all the grades. I helped them with school work and homework. Anyway as I was saying I wanted to teach between k-3.

While I was attending college, I purchase a book once a month (picture books, chapter books, classics) that I knew I wanted for my classroom. I would purchase books on a wide variety of topics (feelings, sports, weather, friendships, etc). This worked out great since I did end up teaching in the primary grades. I had about 60 of my own books by the time I graduated college.

11. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

I started collecting for the upper elem grades about 2 years ago. Sadly (for my wallet) I worked in a bookstore with a NIIIIIIIIICE discount...Now I'm a first year teacher with more books than 10-year teachers and I've bought about 75 more over summer.....

12. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Aug 2, 2007

Thanks for all the great input! I think I'll keep my eyes out for good deals but I won't go crazy until I get a little closer and have a better idea what grade I'll teach. I have quite a few of my girls' favorite books still, and I can always start with those, if they don't mind ;) I'm going to keep a running list of all the great books you all talk about. Thanks!!

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

I started buying books in High School!! Now that I FINALLY have a job, it is true that some are not age appropriate. However, I have about 5 totes full, and am fairly certain 5th is not the only grade I will teach in my lifetime! Plus, kids can be all over the place reading level wise, that you need a large variety. Rarely would I pay full price for a book. I went to my local bargain store, Border's clearance, eBay, garage sales, book orders (I ALWAYS buy the 99 cent book, no matter how stupid it looks). I always have to remind myself that it doesn't matter what I like, I have to buy books for everyone! So, I recommend it highly! Would I go out and pay $20 for a book, NO! But, if it is under $5, grab 'em!!

14. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 2, 2007

Amen to that. Goodwill stores are AWESOME for cheap books. If you are looking for class sets of books, keep checking the Scholastic catalogs for the $.95 book. That's how I got all 3 of my class sets of books, for about $20 each with bonus points and coupons.
    Actually, I just spent $20 on Harry Potter 7 for the kids. I know that not many of them will have been able to get it over the summer, so I bought one for myself and one for me.

15. tvgemini

tvgemini New Member

Aug 3, 2007

books