Collecting and correcting homework

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MissE, Apr 12, 2006.

1. MissE

MissE Rookie

Apr 12, 2006

HI ALL! Just wanted to see if I could get any suggestions. My students are assigned Math and Spelling homework pretty much every night. It seems that it takes forever for them to get out their homework and for us to go over the answers. I want the students to be able to ask questions about their homework prior to moving on to the next lesson, but it is taking up a lot of my teaching time. My students are assigned points for turning in homework so it is important that I know who turned in their homework and who didn't. Any suggestions to collecting or correcting homework that is quick and effective???

3. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2006

what grade do you teach?
    I dont go over homework w my first graders....
    they hand it in, and I correct when I have time. IF a kid seems to have a big problem w something, I will pull him/her over for extra suppport. Of course, if the whole class missed something I go over it again!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2006

I take up only a couple of questions that are representative of the concept. I also ask the students which questions caused the most difficulty so that we can discuss them together.

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 12, 2006

My 2nd graders turn theirs in to a homework box. When they're gone to special class, I go over them and see who turned it in. I give students 5 points for completing it and turning it in on time. If I see a student is having problems, then I'll call them back to my group table later (when they're in the classroom). I don't give lots of points for homework (unless it was a project), because a lot of my parents help.

6. wig

wig Devotee

Apr 12, 2006

I do not correct homework in class. It takes up way to much of my teaching time. I correct it. I do not teach math now, but when I taught elementary I did. When I taught math I gave a quick 3 -5 problem quiz and we went over that. I did not grade the quiz. It was used solely to see that everyone understood. Never took more than 10 minutes. If only a few had problems, I went over it in a small group with them If the class in general seemed to have a hard time with it, I retaught. IMO, it is a waste of class time to correct the entire assignment.

7. luvmykids

luvmykids Companion

Apr 12, 2006

The only homework we go over in class is math book work, which I don't give often. If we do go over that, we do it first thing in the morning and then they turn it in to the basket where all work is collected.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 12, 2006

I do not go over any homework in class, nor do I correct it. I eyeball it to make sure that it is completed and to check the answers. If there is a lot of wrong answers I will review it with the student.

The homework I send home is to reinforce the concepts taught at school. I leave a note for my parents when they need to help their child with specific concepts... I know my parents help them so they do not receive a grade based on number correct but they do receive points for completing their homework.

My students turn in their homework on Fridays and those who turn it in get 40 minutes of free time. Those who returned it incomplete have to complete it during free time, but I do let them have free time once it is completed. Those that do not turn in their homework must do review work at their desks.

9. MissE

MissE Rookie

Apr 13, 2006

I teach fourth grade. The problem that I have is that I work in a school that doesn't have much support from the parents. Therefore a lot of students either just don't do their homework or they don't have anyone to help them or answers questions at home. My planning periods aren't that long and it seems like I always have other things to get caught up on. It's just hard not to correct it in class.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2006

From a high school teacher's perspective:
    Could you give them something else to do, and walk around the room checking each math book? Run through it with a highlighter-- either a check or question mark , depending on whether or not it's done. Mark down in your book those whose assignment is not done.
    Then you can go over a few representative problems.

The fact that you're taking note of whose work is done-- and preventing them from making it up late-- may act as an incentive!

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 20, 2006

I have my 5th graders turn work into trays labeled for each subject. Then I go through all the trays frist thing in the morning. As I read off names on papers the kids stand up. Nameless papers get names, and anyone without his or her work in the basket has a chance to find theirs. Works pretty well for me. As for correcting...the only correcting together we do in class is vocabulary. I do everything else myself as I get time.