Colleagues trying to get me to do door to door sales.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MathGuy82, May 29, 2016.

1. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

May 29, 2016

Well here how it goes. Some of my fellow part time colleagues (I"m full time) are trying to get me to be an IBO salesperson to sell products. Like organic food, dish soap, face cream. It comes from a company called Amway. (hope that was okay to say with forum guidelines please remove if needed:))They say it makes good money on the side but with my research it seems to take a lot of time and chances of making a lot or anything substantial seems like it would be rather hard. As I've tried to turn them down in a nice way they are saying that "means you must not want to be successful and improve your life". I tried to say that being a full teacher takes a lot of extra time outside teaching. Going to events, grading, having time to get things done around the house. It also seems like eventually you have to go to random people to try to get them signed up. Which to me makes me uncomfortable to go up to random people to try to get them signed up to buy certain producs. They also say that it's never good to talk anything negatively about these companies. I think it's very hard to make anything with these unless you have a team lined up. Also, these teachers always invite me to go to these weekend speeches that happen about once a month. It seems too stressful to add a job like this with teaching full time and the success rates of making anything good on the side seem pretty slim. Anybody have experience with this?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 29, 2016

"No" is a complete sentence.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 29, 2016

Just continue to tell them that you are doing fine and would prefer not to participate in the side-business! No harm, no foul with that, and if they raise a fuss, they won't worthwhile colleagues in the first place.

ABC123 and MathGuy82 like this.
  5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

May 29, 2016

Well, "No." is ;) (haha, sorry, couldn't help it! :p )

ABC123, MathGuy82 and Caesar753 like this.
  6. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

May 29, 2016

Thank you all! I like the "NO"s. I've realized that I will politely just say no and hopefully they will quit trying to nag me into it.

ABC123 likes this.
  7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

May 29, 2016

I don't personally have experience doing the sales part, but I DO have experience with everyone trying to pressure me to join their "team" and sell whatever they are selling!
    (Younique, Arbonne, Stella&Dot, Premier Jewelry, Scentsy, etc. etc.)
    I always say NO! :)

Last edited: May 30, 2016
    ABC123 and MathGuy82 like this.
  8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 30, 2016

Just say No. I have been asked many times to sell product for colleagues. I know I am not a salesperson and I also know I don't have the personality to pressure someone to buy something.

ABC123 likes this.
  9. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

May 30, 2016

Given how inconsiderate and pushy they are being to you, you are far too concerned about their feelings. Firmly tell them no and to stop bugging you.

MathGuy82, ABC123 and Luv2TeachInTX like this.
  10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 30, 2016

Success depends on recruiting new members to your team; they are being pushy to help build their own bottom line, not out of concern for yours. Run, don't walk, away.

ABC123 and czacza like this.
  11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 30, 2016

One of my colleagues doesn't come right out and pressure the rest of us, but she is constantly talking about , and posting on FB, about her "side gig" and how much money she makes, etc.
    If I wanted to be in sales, I would be there!
    Good luck!

ABC123 and czacza like this.
  12. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 30, 2016

What they are doing is unprofessional and probably unethical. The way these deals work is that if you join, they get a cut of your sales. You don't really make money until you start getting other people to join under you.

They are using their positions as teachers for financial gain. That is a most likely a breach of ethics many even violate the polices of your school district. If they persist, I wouldn't blame you if you decided to go to your administrator.

MathGuy82, ABC123 and Luv2TeachInTX like this.
  13. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

May 30, 2016

You work full time - they don't. Somehow, the part time people want/need to make a better living, but that shouldn't include trying to rope in people who are not interested. It matters little to me what is being sold, because I would balk at door to door. I have a pretty good ability to state that no means no, whether I am talking to pesky sales people or students who want their own way. I would treat the part time associates like students who don't want to get it, and basically go with "case closed."

MathGuy82 and ABC123 like this.
  14. bros

bros Phenom

May 31, 2016

"Sorry, but I don't participate in MLMs. You know that 97% of people who work for MLMs earn less than $1,000 - with some people even losing money selling overpriced products, right?"

MathGuy82 likes this.
  15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 1, 2016

A colleague is CONSTANTLY pushing her MLM's product and the plea to 'join her team'. To the point that MANY are turned off and ignore her social media posts. One starts to feel she just views her 'friends' as business opportunities.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  16. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 2, 2016

One of the funnier MLM products I have seen are the "weight loss wraps" where you wrap your waist in a wrap (pretty much fancier looking saran wrap) for a period of time, then you remove it and you look like you have lost weight (You have, but it is just a bit of water weight that you will regain in a day or two).

And, well, a lot of the before-and-after photos shared by those companies are done in the classic before-and-after fashion - take a picture of the person, then have them gain a bit of weight, change the lighting, makeup, and position they are sitting in to make them look as bad as possible - and then take another picture of them. Have the bad one be the "before" photo and the normal picture of them be the "after"

mathmagic likes this.
  17. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Jun 3, 2016

I totally agree with all the previous posters. No is a sentence. While it may be hard to say, keep saying it. They will get the message. I had a coworker way back when try to get me in to Amway. She quit when I firmly told her that I actually enjoyed shopping for my household and personal items. I've bought from Premier, 31, Avon, Pampered Chef. When I do buy I clearly state up front that I am only interested in a certain product, and I don't need the incentives that come along with hosting a party to get the product I want. I rarely host a party for these companies. In fact, if I recall I've only hosted two my entire career and both were book parties. The reason I did them was because I wanted several products. Just stay firm and keep repeating. They will eventually get the message.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  18. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jun 3, 2016

Yeah. No. A thousand times, no.
    My "master" (in quotes for obvious reasons) teacher AND a parent tried that stuff on me, and I ran very far away. I hate pyramid schemes. They're so sleazy.

MathGuy82 likes this.