Colleague

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jen12, May 23, 2013.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 23, 2013

Have you ever complained to admin about a colleague? If so, what for? What type of thing do you feel your co-workers do that irritates you?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 23, 2013

I have, but only for really major things AND when it was part of my duties. Otherwise, I MYOB.

I had an intern who was struggling with management, being on time, getting lessons developed, etc. The things I was doing were not helping. I went to admin.

I had a teammate next door who had such an out of control room it was a distraction to my classroom. We had addressed it since I'm the team leader. After no improvements, I went to admin.

These were very serious issues that did indeed impact whether the person would be continuing at our school. I don't "tattle".

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 23, 2013

I seriously pick and choose those battles carefully. In 35 years have never done it or maybe once. I have one that will NEVER let the kids in on time from PE, usually about 5 minutes later so I stand there and watch them. It is not worth it to me to complain much about it. She is not happy and probably needs that extra time.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 23, 2013

If we were to make a complaint, we have a formal process to go through which involves letting our colleague know, in writing, of the complaint and allowing a union rep at participate in any and all meetings. For that reason, it would have to be something very, very serious for us to complain to admin.

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

May 23, 2013

I did have to explain why I wanted to switch grade levels.

7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 23, 2013

I had a SpEd counterpart (we have full integration of our IEP students unless they're MH) who was simply not doing her job. Progress Monitoring was a marking period behind, grading was weeks behind unless I did it myself (which was difficult because she wouldn't give me access to their IEPs). My team turned to me, and I turned to our AP. It was rough, but I had everything documented, including phone calls and emails. The teacher was let go after a failed Improvement Plan and it took weeks to clean up the mess. Thankfully, after several conversations with my AP, she hired a replacement I want on my team until we both retire.

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 23, 2013

In your case, cat, I absolutely would have done the same thing you did.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 23, 2013

I have only once. This teacher put a student in danger. I was sorta disappointed at first by results I got. But soon after this the teacher was stripped of all leadership roles in the school. She had been lead teacher, on many committees, and highly thought of.
    There is another teacher on my grade level now that if I was the kind to tattle about what she isn't doing and the stuff she should be doing I would be in the office daily. I am moving to another grade level next year!!!!!

10. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 23, 2013

I would only do it if something illegal or highly disruptive or inappropriate was going on. And in that case, it's not so much "complaining" as "reporting". It's not my job to judge other teachers.

11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

May 23, 2013

I only have once, and that was for the safety of her students, and mine (we switched classes). She was getting aggressively physical with them and that could not continue. I did talk with her several time prior to going to the principal.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 23, 2013

No.

13. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

May 23, 2013

Yes.

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 23, 2013

Yes. In the past four years, we have had 3 principals (one who retired, one who was in her last year prior to retirement (her original school closed), and now our (fabulous) new P this year), and I have (in private) voiced concerns about a specific teacher to each principal. We have an "enrichment" (specials) teacher who will talk "bad" about students in front of the students about whom she is talking, in front of other students, and in front of anyone, parent or otherwise. "That one is so strange," or "this one is horrible/bad/stupid (name your own negative remark)." She will also put students out of her class (we don't have halls, just wings with covered sidewalks, so there is no one else to watch them), and not even notify their teachers or the office. I have heard (but not witnessed) that she hits some of the students, but I don't report what I don't see. One of my first graders this year was raped 2 years ago, and she has a "leakage" issue. For the longest time (until I thoroughly explained the situation to her multiple times), she would make really rude comments about this child IN FRONT OF THE ENTIRE CLASS! Other teachers have made excuses for her like "she's old school," because she already retired from one state and is now working till retirement in Louisiana. In addition, my students have never had an actual music lesson at this school. We got our first yearbooks ever this year, and there were pictures of our kids in the music room, holding guitars. They had to have borrowed them from somewhere, because the only instruments in that room are a broken down old piano, and a stereo system that the teacher uses to blast Michael Jackson CDs!! I think they should offer her early retirement, and quick!

15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

May 23, 2013

I went to my P regarding my Nightmare teammate, but only because it affected the well-being of my student. She has responded quickly. I am thankful.

I like to think I can respectfully bring up major issues with my P without being criticized. We have a good relationship.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 23, 2013

I haven't ever really complained to an administrator about a colleague. I have, however, filed a complaint. I feel like those two phrasings are worlds apart. To me, complaining is on par with whining, whereas filing a complaint is official, formal, and serious--and not done for things that are "irritating".

I have filed two complaints against colleagues. The first was for a custodian whom I caught stealing pop from my classroom fridge. The second was for a sexual harassment incident.

17. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 23, 2013

Yes, one colleague was so verbally abusive to students I couldn't take it any more. When I shared this with the P, she told me that most of the other teachers had also complained about her and lots of parents as well. She was put on an improvement plan and eventually fired when more serious things occurred after that.

18. alioxenfree

alioxenfree Rookie

May 23, 2013

I had to explain why I didn't want to switch grade levels! My principal wasn't buying my "neutral" explanation, so I had to lay it on out there. This teacher had gone through 8 teaching partners in 10 years, so I wasn't telling the principal anything new.

19. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 23, 2013

Never. If I had an issue with a colleague I either dealt with them directly or found my own way to deal. But I have known many who have complained about others.

20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 23, 2013

YES! I used to work with a nightmare teammate. Thankfully, though, many parents and other colleagues had complained about her, too, so my principal wasn't surprised when I went brought the issue to her attention.

The straw that broke the camel's back was when this particular co-worker yelled and cursed at me while on a field trip (in front of parents and students).

Although she's still in the district, she's no longer at my site. She choose to leave last year and I returned to the school as soon as her position was posted (I was involuntarily transferred due to seniority issues and increased class sizes). Anyway, our grade-level is so different without her! We're all much less stressed out and no longer bullied!

21. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

May 24, 2013

Same here. We have a Code of Professional Conduct we have to follow and the process is extensive.

We had a union rep on our staff at one point and he was quite the stickler for the rules. One teacher had a particularly bad sub and was telling those of us in the staff room to, perhaps, think twice about having him in. This union rep said that, going by the book, the teacher complaining was in breach of the code because, officially, she should have informed the sub of the problem, told him she was taking it further and then gone to his direct supervisor (the "head" of subs in our division). Under no circumstances should she be talking about it in the staff room. We all kind of rolled our eyes at that one, but that's the process that exists for us.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 24, 2013

We don't have a formal system. I have talked to an administrator about another employee after the admin got the ball rolling. They knew a talk was in order and I'm they apporoached me to make me more comfortable sharing.

23. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 24, 2013

You can't talk about subs to one another. Wow. Every time we have a sub that is new the first thing we do when we get back is ask teammates how they were. And find out if we would want them back again.

24. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

May 24, 2013

Formally, no, I guess we can't. Subs are a part of our union and are also bound by the code. Just as you wouldn't go around and say in a public place that Mr. Smith, a regular teacher down the hall, is an awful teacher, you also shouldn't say it about subs.

Informally, however, it's a whole different ballgame. ;)

25. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

May 24, 2013

No, that's what our union rep is for. If I were to go directly to admin, it would be looked at unkindly. Thankfully, I have had no reason to even think about that.

26. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

May 24, 2013

Yup, I have. Several times. About a person bullying me. I have not been the only one to complain about this situation with the person.

27. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 24, 2013

No. Never.

I am one of those people who never talk to Admin unless called into their office for something. I might say "Good Morning" or "Enjoy Your Afternoon" but I rarely say more than that. I try to never ask for or request anything and I do not bring up any concerns, questions or ideas to them either; I just wait for what I need to know to be told to me. Part of this is my personality, part is my Admins' personalities.

28. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

May 26, 2013

Yes, one day this man appeared in my class for two days, and I didn't know who he was. He just sat at the back of the class. He didn't appear to be observing me because he was checking his e-mail or texting at one point. I later found out he was supporting a student with behavioral issues.

29. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 2, 2013

I would definitely not let someone just sit in my classroom for 2 days. At the very least i would introduce myself and ask who he was. I would do this as soon as I saw him.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 2, 2013

Thank God I never had a reason to have to do it. Thankfully, with me, if someone doesn't like me, they just leave me alone. No one's ever set out to say nasty things or do anything to me.

31. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Jun 2, 2013

There was one who was a terrible teacher, but that was not why I complained. The reason I complained about him to admin was that he was sexually harassing my wife, who worked in the same school. I wasn't the only one complaining, and he was gone before the end of the semester.

32. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 2, 2013

I have once. My P knew there were some problems with this co-worker and actually asked me about it. It was a nice way to be able to get my feelings on the table. I would only do this with certain principal's though.