Colleague Rant

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Leaborb192, May 31, 2017.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

May 31, 2017

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 31, 2017

She isn't your colleague.

Perhaps some kids get more support than others and you don't know who gets what accommodations and she does? No excuse for 'pushing' you though.

Do you have a history with this teacher?

4. MsAbeja

MsAbeja Companion

May 31, 2017

Of course that teacher could be considered Lealorb's colleague. They were working together, and are of a similar rank. That's the definition of a colleague.

Knowledge of the particular accommodations a certain student may or may not receive is inconsequential, considering the fact that she was neither providing nor offering such accommodations to the child.

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 1, 2017

I have a colleague who has Jekyll and Hyde personality. You don't know which version of her is going to show up so everyone walks on eggshells around her. Her excuse is menopause - for the past 7 years? She is rude and toxic and is master of the passive aggressive. She takes s#4t out on everyone. God help you if she had a bad morning. She is rude to admin and they do nothing. They just take it because she has been around for over donkeys years and is a member of multiple professional associations. So if the 'top' accommodate her, there's nothing us mere mortals can do. She told my students that I was a lousy teacher. My students (bless them) said that they disagreed and I was the best teacher they've had. I made a complaint to admin about this, but she's Teflon.

I feel so much better now after this little rant. ;)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Leaborb192 likes this.
  6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 1, 2017

I am at a place in my life and career that I would not walk on egg shells around anyone. I have no problem putting people in their place if they act like idiots. I certainly do not act snarky to them, but I won't take rudeness from them.

Of course, not everyone is at a position in their job where they can be more cavalier about things.

GPC0321 likes this.
  7. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jun 1, 2017

I won't call out any particular colleague, but I've just been dismayed lately with the amount of lazy, entitled behavior...from the TEACHERS! I'm used to it from the students, but the teachers!?!?
    Everything from teachers who are out all of the time and have no more leave to use but proudly state they "Don't give a S**T!" ...to teachers who leave school early without telling administration (much less ASKING for permission first...hello!!). Teachers who seem to resent being asked to, you know, DO THEIR JOBS!
    I just don't get it. I'd love to see these people in a non-teaching profession or job. They'd never make it. The only reason they get away with the stuff they do is because we're a small, rural school in the middle of nowhere and the pickings are slim when it comes to hiring.
    Drives me insane. And it's not all or even the majority of our teachers...just a few. But those few ruin everything for the rest of us. We have a fantastic P and wonderful AP, but they are getting fed up with the nonsense from some of the teachers and so they are going to have to tighten down on everyone.
    Why can't people just do what they're supposed to do?

Upsadaisy likes this.
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 1, 2017

The only colleague I had a real beef with (the teacher that didn't actually teach anything...) left the school a few months ago so it's been nice :)
    There's a therapist though that skulks around doing whatever she wants and I guess has decided that missing over 15 of my student's sessions is acceptable. I wouldn't be upset if she slipped on banana peel one of these days!

9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2017

10. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2017

11. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jun 1, 2017

Actually, no. It's the younger/newer teachers. Tenured staff (like me) are the ones who are gobsmacked by the audacity of the newbies.

12. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 1, 2017

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2017

I'm so greatful that I have always worked with helpful and kind teachers when I am subbing! I honesty cannot think of one teacher who was rude and unkind and they always want to help with students who don't behave. I cannot believe that happened to you. How rude of that teacher!

I taught with a summer program where many of my colleagues were just so unprofessional. Everyone wore clothes against dress code (ex shorts) and one girl even wore a backless dress with her bra showing! There were so many that tried to be best friends with their students so no one would tell the kids to put their phones away during breakfast and follow other rules. Finally, I stopped telling kids to put their phones away because I was the only one who wasn't. One of my students hated me and my class and she was tellling another teacher about it. Instead of redirecting the conversation, the other teacher empathized and agreed with the student! I am so glad that summer is over!

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2017

How are you defining 'similar rank'. Because most in my district dont have the education or experience to be considered s colleague.

15. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2017

Disclaimer: not really following this thread much...

But I tend to consider a fellow teacher as a colleague, whether they have 30 years & a Masters or 3 years of experience and a Bachelors degree, and I think they'd agree. I'd even consider our principal as a colleague, though in an administrative/supervisor role. We're working together to accomplish the same goal.

colleague: a person with whom one works, especially in a profession or business.

cocobean, SageScience and MissCeliaB like this.
  16. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jun 2, 2017

My superintendent refers to us all as colleagues on a regular basis. Isn't the OP a certified teacher and working on an another degree/a masters?

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 2, 2017

So is the guy who pumps your gas on the same 'rank' as your mechanic? The chef and dishwasher? I can go as far as those you work with in similar positions who are in a contracted experience. But I'm not sure the bus driver, groundskeeper, itinerant sub. Or school board member are my colleagues.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  18. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jun 2, 2017

Here: so there's no need to discuss what colleague means (because, from searching around, it certainly doesn't seem to have an exact answer, especially given how word meaning can change in how it's used, even if it may have originated with one particular meaning):

19. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jun 2, 2017

I like how you move smoothly from trying to imply that older teachers are lazy and useless to doing the same to younger teachers.

20. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2017

Even a substitute and a regular teacher are working together for the day to support their students. I would consider them coworkers or colleagues for the day. I would also consider a teacher's aide and a teacher as colleagues as well.

21. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jun 3, 2017

If you're not careful, this will turn into a teacher-bashing, anti-union, anti-tenure platform. It happens around here fairly quickly.

The evil harpy in the original post was completely out of line and her behavior constituted criminal assault. That does not need to be morphed into an indictment of all teachers and teachers rights.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 3, 2017

Please, PLEASE, let us also curb the vulgarities, even the implied / abbreviated ones. This is a good place to vent, but we should remain professional to a certain extent.

Thank you.

Hiyateacher, janlee, christie and 2 others like this.
  23. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jun 3, 2017

BTW, I'm technically a millennial by many's standards. But, I'm a decade older than the OP and I have crow's feet. The term is no longer synonymous with very young. (Unfortunately!)

MsAbeja likes this.