Collaborative Writing Project Using Skype and Google Docs

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Bogart, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Bogart

Bogart Rookie

Oct 5, 2010

3. jakissko

jakissko Rookie

Oct 7, 2010

Hi Bogart! That sounds like an awesome project! Have you found anybody to collaborate with? I know some people who have used the flatclassrooms website to find like-minded people to partner with. I can't hyperlink quite yet since I'm a newbie to the forums, but if you do a google search for "flatclassrooms ning", it's the top result.

Let us know how your project works out!

Johnny Kissko
    K-12 Mobile Learning

4. stevesgirl

stevesgirl Companion

Oct 11, 2010

Hi Bogart. I would love to try a project like this with my class - my only problem is lack of computers. I only have three. Can you describe what you are thinking this would look like? Would each child contribute, or each class as a whole. Would we all read the same book or match up students reading the same book? If I could rotate the students and have small groups Skype that might work. We are already on Google docs.

5. Bogart

Bogart Rookie

Oct 12, 2010

Thanks, Jakissko! I'm going to look up that flatclassrooms site.

Stevesgirl--I was thinking that the students would be paired up and then grouped with a pair from another classroom. This would mean that you would probably need about 15 laptops or computers. It's a bummer that you don't have more. It would be very difficult for me to do a rotation type thing with Skype because of my schedule and the fact that my students switch for some classes. Bummer. Thanks for inquiring though! If your computer situation changes and you're interested in trying this out, let me know!

6. tchrmommy1

tchrmommy1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2010

I'm intrigued. I currently have 29 fifth graders. We have a full computer lab with iMacs (all have built in web cams) plus two laptop carts, so technology wouldn't be a problem. I'm trying to integrate more technology into my classroom so this sounds like something really fun! I will PM you to find out more info.