Cold War simulation?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Padawan, May 14, 2012.

1. Padawan

Padawan Rookie

May 14, 2012

I am having trouble finding a suitable cold war simulation for a US history class, sophomores, if anyone could please lend hand.

3. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

May 14, 2012

I just thought of this idea off the top of my head so I didn't really work the bugs out before posting it. But here are my thoughts.

1. Divide the class in 2 halves. Tape duct tape to the floor and write "Iron Curtain" on it several times so it looks like caution tape.

2. Have students randomly draw their place in the social structure. On each side, have 1 President, a few government officials, and mostly middle-class workers.

3. Distribute some form of currency. Candy works pretty well haha. On the Warsaw Pact side, each person gets the same amount of candy (I would get a crappy candy like Now & Later to emphasize the shoddy quality of goods in the Soviet bloc countries). On the NATO side, give kids different types of candy depending on their social structure (for example: middle class people get M&Ms, government workers get starburst, and the president gets a candy bar).

4. Have the students trade. On the NATO side, I would set up an equivalency system where 10 M&Ms equal a Starburst and 20 Starburst equal the candy bar. The Warsaw students will watch the NATO students trade.

5. Have students pay taxes. Each Warsaw student needs to give 1 Now & Later to the President, and each NATO student needs to give 1 Starburst or 5 M&Ms to the President.

6. Give the Presidents an opportunity to buy something with their taxes. Theoretically, the NATO president should buy more M&Ms and give them to the middle class. The Warsaw president should buy a candy bar for himself. Explain at this point that the Warsaw Pact leaders often used the economy to give themselves a better way of life while leaving the peasants and middle class without goods they really needed or wanted.

7. If you want to take the simulation further, introduce M&Ms to the Warsaw countries. However, each M&M is worth 2 Now & Laters. Explain to the Warsaw countries that this represents Lenin's New Economic Policy because the President is allowing some capitalism to exist in the Soviet economy, then have students explain why the Warsaw Pact countries had a hard time trading with NATO countries. You could also introduce a famine if you really wanted to go that far.

8. Have students answer some wrap-up questions. Ask them to examine their role in the simulation and reflect on it.

4. Padawan

Padawan Rookie

May 14, 2012

That was off the top of your head? Man that sounds awesome. I will have to look at it deeply and hammer out some details here and there. Thank you!

5. Ms.History

Ms.History Rookie

May 15, 2012

Yeah, seriously... wow. Awesome idea!