Cold urticaria

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kinderkids, Oct 27, 2014.

1. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 27, 2014

My son suffers with this. He went swimming last week and had a horrible reaction, hives and severe itching!!! Do you have a child or know someone who has this? My son has so many allergies as well as asthma..being allergic to the cold in the midwest is not a good thing. So far it is mild, I am worried it could become worse.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2014

It could, or he could outgrow it. He will also be better able to manage it on his own as he ages. Not the answer you were looking for, perhaps, but an observation of others with this reaction.

4. HistoryTeach4

HistoryTeach4 Rookie

Oct 28, 2014

I have this. I take an antihistamine year round just to prevent the itching. I get it worse in the winter after shoveling. I try to keep my body as warm as possible and not be exposed to the cold air quickly.

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2014

Oh the raking of leaves and shoveling snow is horrible. He has terrible itching and hives. I was very concerned last week when he went swimming and had a horrible reaction. (worse ever). Good news is he swam again today and didn't need the benadryl. He did say the pool was very cold last week, plus a lot of chlorine. He is allergic to chlorine as well, so he proceeded cautiously, and his teachers were aware. So glad he didn't have a reaction today. He could live in the water, I think he is part fish!

6. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Nov 3, 2014

My daughter was diagnosis with this when she was about 7. She would break out in hives in the winter if she played in the snow, and the snow touched her body, like where her gloves and sleeves didn't meet. The dr. just suggested she could take an antihistamine before playing outdoors in winter, but warned her against ever jumping into a cold swimming pool or lake. He said she could go into anaphylactic shock.