Cold sores

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by DrivingPigeon, Dec 30, 2011.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

I woke up with 3 of them this morning. :( I'm so self-conscious about them, too. People who don't get cold sores don't seem to understand how they just happen, and they look at you like you're disgusting. I have even heard "herpes" comments before.

If you get cold sores, what do you do to get rid of them? I have a medication (Acyclovir), and I put good old Carmex on my lips. I tried Abreva before, but that doesn't seem to help. Any new ideas? I would like to be able to kiss my boyfriend at midnight tomorrow, but I guess that won't be happening...

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Dec 30, 2011

knock on wood, I haven't had one in a year, but I usually put abreva on right when I start to feel it and it usually keeps them away. If I'm not around my abreva though, I'm pretty much screwed. They said to eat a lot of food with lycopene in it (tomatoes, yogurt)

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 30, 2011

I think I may go pick up some Abreva. It has been a while since I tried it.

I didn't have any cold sores for about a year, but I have a LOT this past year. For a couple of months I kept getting one right after another. Ugh!

5. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Dec 30, 2011

I usually get them instead of a fever when I'm sick (weird I know, but true).

6. Ms_C

Ms_C Comrade

Dec 30, 2011

My brother gets them when he is really stressed at work. He swears by bactine. Put some on a q-tip at dab it over the top of the cold sore. It dries it out pretty quick.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 30, 2011

Stress, fever, sunlight - all can cause them. Is acyclovir the drug that is also used for that other viral thing that is so painful - I forget what it's called?

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Dec 30, 2011

I used to get them frequently (caused most often by stress and whenever I would get over being sick). After having to cancel on my dentist twice for major blisters, he prescribed Valtrex. I will tell you I very rarely take medication...even an Advil is rare and given great consideration, so I was terribly hestitant. But I started taking it the moment I felt that burning, tingling sensation that warns us one us coming...and they never came! After trying everything else from home remedies to Abreva and the like and having nothing work whatosever, I was thoroughly impressed! I went through an entire pack of the pills...and I haven't even had one begin in a long time...maybe a year and a half or more? I don't know if the makers of the drug claim it could reduce the number of breakouts, but it seems that has happened.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 30, 2011

Abreva. And Lysine...lysine is an amino acid...you can buy it where you buy vitamins. I get the strongest and take two in the morning, two at night. It helps!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2011

Fortunately, I don't get them often & it's only on my bottom lip. When I feel that funny tingling, I rub that Abreva in right away & it keeps it at bay. If it does happen to develop further, I keep Abreva on constantly. Thank God that seems to be pretty good for me. I hate them. I'm sure I caught them from kissing my one ex-BF. :mad:

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 31, 2011

Icing seems to help when it first comes. Mine are always super tiny and not very noticeable because I ice like crazy when I first feel it. I noticed that ever since I started working out, they have stopped forming and only comes when I am under extreme stress.

I also heard rubbing garlic helps.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 31, 2011

Oh, I also looked up home remedies & it said put on a paste of turmeric (mixed w/ a little water) on the cold sore. I tried that the last time I had one & it helped it not form nearly as much & it went away quicker.

13. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jan 1, 2012

i like abreva with aquafor on top of it so that it does not get too dried out . hate them!