Cold resume email

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tm91784, Jan 17, 2020.

1. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Jan 17, 2020

Hi everyone,

I will be searching for a job for the upcoming school year. Is it appropriate to send out unsolicited emails with resumes and credentials? I know that not all jobs are posted online and want to express my interest in case there are positions that are available. I have heard that stopping at the school in person is the best approach but I cannot take time off from my current position to do this. Back in 2006 I sent paper resumes via snail mail to the local Catholic schools (prefer private schools despite the pay difference) and received many calls about positions that were not posted online.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 17, 2020

I am unsure about private schools, but if you have access to a job website such as Indeed that offers a common application / resume upload, I'd go that route instead. Principals and school HR folks will do early scouting to recruit applicants before a position officially opens. I know for a fact my principal has rejected any applicant who showed up at our building unsolicited.

Backroads likes this.
  4. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Jan 17, 2020

Yeah I didn't think it would be a good approach to show up in person though I read online that it was recommended to hand deliver resumes. Our private schools post openings on the diocese website when they become available but I do not think every opening is advertised.

5. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Jan 17, 2020

They don't typically post on Indeed. I've used Indeed in my current position for recruiting daycare teachers though.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 17, 2020

I think it's a good idea. I work in a private school and it takes a while for jobs to get posted. If they have your resume ahead of time they will call you when the jobs come up.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2020

I have no problem with sending the information, but not a fan of trying to hand deliver. In this day and age of security upgrades, it might come across as not thinking it through. Just my thoughts.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 17, 2020

Yes, it might not be a good idea to just show up at schools. I would do it through email and maybe mention that you will also mail them a hard copy of your resume.

whizkid likes this.