Cold resume email

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by tm91784, Jan 17, 2020.

1. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Jan 17, 2020

Hi everyone,

I will be searching for a job for the upcoming school year. Is it appropriate to send out unsolicited emails with resumes and credentials? I know that not all jobs are posted online and want to express my interest in case there are positions that are available. I have heard that stopping at the school in person is the best approach but I cannot take time off from my current position to do this. Back in 2006 I sent paper resumes via snail mail to the local Catholic schools (prefer private schools despite the pay difference) and received many calls about positions that were not posted online.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 17, 2020

I am unsure about private schools, but if you have access to a job website such as Indeed that offers a common application / resume upload, I'd go that route instead. Principals and school HR folks will do early scouting to recruit applicants before a position officially opens. I know for a fact my principal has rejected any applicant who showed up at our building unsolicited.

Backroads likes this.
  4. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Jan 17, 2020

Yeah I didn't think it would be a good approach to show up in person though I read online that it was recommended to hand deliver resumes. Our private schools post openings on the diocese website when they become available but I do not think every opening is advertised.

5. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Jan 17, 2020

They don't typically post on Indeed. I've used Indeed in my current position for recruiting daycare teachers though.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 17, 2020

I think it's a good idea. I work in a private school and it takes a while for jobs to get posted. If they have your resume ahead of time they will call you when the jobs come up.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2020

I have no problem with sending the information, but not a fan of trying to hand deliver. In this day and age of security upgrades, it might come across as not thinking it through. Just my thoughts.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 17, 2020

Yes, it might not be a good idea to just show up at schools. I would do it through email and maybe mention that you will also mail them a hard copy of your resume.

whizkid likes this.
  9. OhioTeacher216

OhioTeacher216 Rookie

Feb 29, 2020

I am in the job search as well. I reached out to my local ESC (Educational Service Center) with my cover letter, resume, and a brief introduction for upcoming positions in the field I am licensed in. Although I did receive a prompt, but courteous email back saying they currently are not hiring, they will keep me in mind for any future openings-- and they advised me to keep looking on their website for openings as well. It was nice touching base and making a connection.

10. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Feb 29, 2020

I think you have a huge advantage if you meet the P of the school you want to be at and "hit it off." I showed up during the 2 weeks after teachers left and the P was so cool.
    He told me that a job had to be posted, but the same person had been doing the job successfully for a couple yrs was applying. So the job was really not open.
    He called another P he knew who was his friend who had a true opening. P's here do not have HR go through files to pull names indiscriminately. They go and pull the ones they want.
    Anyways, I ended up getting the job at his friend's school, and when he had a true opening, a few yrs later, he hired me. You need a death or retirement to get in and it is no longer a great school even....lol
    I can see if you are in a high risk or security area where dropping by would not be the best way nowadays. If your area is more laid back, it might be different.
    Email is a good way to show interest though here imo. I guess it varies by district, but here, they'd never call someone for an interview unless the person was known, or at least had shown interest in their particular school in some way. ( Volunteered, subbed, or specialized in the programs we use, called/emailed the P directly.)
    I guess it depends on where you are.
    The first public school job I got was in a district that needed teachers. The HR person there asked me what grade I wanted to teach and I thought it was a trick question because I'd come from a really hard to get into district. It turned out he put me in the grade level I wanted. No trick! :) Best wishes in your job search.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 4, 2020

The schools that I know of have many more security measures in place than previously. At my school you can't get into the building without ringing the doorbell and they find out who you are and who you are there to see. I don't think they would allow anyone to see the principal without an appointment. You might be able to leave something with the receptionist but it just doesn't seem like a good idea nowadays. But my school is private and small so I don't know what they do in larger schools.

12. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 5, 2020

Way back when, stopping by to meet the principal was a good idea. It was the way things were done, before school security took over. It was a great way to be known. But nowadays? It's not a good idea.

First you stop at the entry door, and push the buzzer. A voice asks you what you want. You sort of shout at the buzzer that you want to see the principal. They'll ask if you have an appointment. No, you'll shout at the buzzer, but maybe I can just drop something off for her/him? So you get buzzed in and report to the office. There you present your pictured ID and sign in. The receptionist may be willing to pass your information on to the principal, but in most cases, the principal won't actually be available. If she is called to the reception desk, she may be in the middle of two or three things, and not particularly receptive. You might not be making the best first-impression. If not, the receptionist, who is doing a million things at once, is probably a bit annoyed, though hopefully she won't show it. You leave, feeling defeated and not having the result you desire.

It is better to send an email to the principal directly, asking if you can come by to drop off your information. Most will tell you to just email it and they will be in contact if they need anyone. But some will say you can come by and drop it off, and then when you ring the buzzer, you can tell the receptionist that you are dropping off materials for Ms. So-and-So, and that she is expecting your delivery. You will have much greater success doing this.

With all the security that is in place in most schools, the days of just showing up to meet the principal by chance are long gone. It is an outdated and ill-conceived plan in this day and age.

bella84 likes this.
  13. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2020

Emailing the principal was how I got my job that I have had for 12 years.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 25, 2020

Me too. I sent an email and and he called me a few days later to set up an interview. I am at a private school where the HR department is very small so I'm not sure if you email principal in a larger district he/she might refer you to HR or tell you go go online to submit an application through them.