COLD in Wisconsin!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mizz Lucy, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Mizz Lucy

Mizz Lucy Guest

Feb 5, 2007

:eek: It is flipping cold today.
    The temp reads -27! With wind that has to be -50.
    My house temp can't get above 61 degrees right now.
    But as my husband says, that's 88 degrees warmer than outside!
    No school is a fun day with my kids!
    Maybe tomorrow too.
    We're going to bake cookies to start the oven in hopes that it'll get 65 degrees in here soon.

3. LindsayRose

LindsayRose Rookie

Feb 5, 2007

I'm in Western New York and it is also very cold but not THAT cold. It is 1 degree here and the wind chill is 25 below!! No school here either! ENJOY YOUR DAY OFF!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2007

About the same temperature here, but the schools never close! The kids are inside for recesses, but, other than that, things are as usual.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 5, 2007

Thirty below with the wind chill here this morning, so all schools were closed.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 5, 2007

It was cold here to today. -7 with windchill -28. Kids stayed in for recess. I tried to shovel my yard. Made it ten mins. It is way to cold. So I'll try again tomorrow after work.

7. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Feb 5, 2007

I have to laugh at your post. I'm from WI and was in Denver this last weekend. They were whining that it was -20 (including the wind chill) Apparently it set some kind of record. I was amazed as this was normal winter weather when I was a kid and here I was in the middle of the mountains. Get ready - the thaw will be there in a day or two!

8. teachohio

teachohio Rookie

Feb 5, 2007

Day 2 off for me

In Cleveland we've had the past two days off because it's been so cold. I'm not complaining. I have so much to do to get ready for my Praxis 3.

9. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Feb 6, 2007

This is our 2nd day off, too. Mostly I have been doing things for work. I am even going in to school today so I can have the copier all to myself! Ha ha!

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Feb 6, 2007

Too cold! Will it be warm enough for school tomorrow? I didn't think we could have a cold day in the city! (I'm in metro Detroit). When I lived in rural Nebraska we would have days off due to the cold. The diesel buses don't run well when it's cold.

11. chiak

chiak New Member

Feb 6, 2007

WARM IN ALASKA!

Crazy as it is: we are pretty warm up here in Alaska! It has been in the upper 40's and our beautiful snow is melting!!! Stay warm you midwesterners!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2007

We may hit 20 thursday!!! Single digit lows!!!

13. kteelou

kteelou Rookie

Feb 6, 2007

Reading these kinds of posts really make me laugh at my state/district. I'm in East Texas and the high today was 69. Crazy, I know. But, a few weeks ago it got down to about 25 and there was a slight sleet falling. They closed schools all over the place because they were afraid it was going to freeze. It was really funny to me because I thought about all of you guys up north and about how crazy y'all would think we were!! Just thought you might need a laugh!!

14. KinderKatie

KinderKatie Companion

Feb 6, 2007

Oh man, it has been single digits here. I wish we had off!

15. robin0103

robin0103 Rookie

Feb 6, 2007

Sorry Wisconsin. We have been hearing about the deadly cold. After living in a lot of places across the U.S., today is one of those days that I remember what I like about California. 79 degrees...screen doors open...barefoot...eating lunch outside in February....
    It's not always like that, of course. Hope the weather will get better for you soon.:)

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2007

I really don't mind it too much. I have a warm comfy home, a reliable car, and don't need to be out in it for any length of time. I'm blessed........I feel for those who don't have those things and pray they find shelter. :(

17. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Feb 7, 2007

We have been off 3 days now - two for cold and today for snow. Came at a good time for me as I have been feeling crummy.

18. kem

kem Companion

Feb 7, 2007

When it has been so cold, I just assume stay home-the kids have been bouncing off the walls b/c they haven't been able to go out for recess!

19. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2007

Third day off for me, too. And we haven't had outdoor recess in 3 weeks. I am itching to get back to school tomorrow, though. We only have 1 calamity day left! :eek:

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2007

Yikes...we are going crazy after 3 days inside!!!

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2007

We have to have 20 above before going out. We may never get out again!!! The kids are ok, but geez.

22. EI129

EI129 Rookie

Feb 7, 2007

Hi, I live in northern Mich. 3rd day off for us to. Way to cold. I am ready to go back.

23. mikekell

mikekell Rookie

Feb 8, 2007

I don't know how ya'll stand it. I am in south GA and we PANIC when the temp drops below freezing. Hope it warms up for you SOON.

24. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2007

We "can't" stand it(the weather.) We are stuck here with our lives and our families so we just have to muddle through it and wait for spring. Nearly everyone is ready to kill someone by this time of the year in Wisconsin!

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2007

Thank goodness our students were finally able to go outside for recess after lunch today; after 4 days inside, we were all ready to snap!

26. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Feb 8, 2007

Well, we were back at school today, despite temps of 0 and windchill of -20. But we won't see outside recess for a while. AND we are eating lunch and breakfast in our rooms, plus we have art and music in our classrooms, too. We see the same 4 walls all. day. long.

Thankfully I have a WONDERFUL group of children this year. They get along fabulously and so far we are faring well.