Coined Word--light-bearer

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Called2Teach, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Called2Teach

Called2Teach Rookie

Mar 9, 2007

Is light-bearer an accepted word nowadays? I have checked allkind of dictionaries-Rogets, Oxford, Cambridge and Longman and i can't find this word. But I saw it in a legal document. Is it used now but is not yet intellectualized?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 9, 2007

Is this a word you've found in your reading, or a word you're trying to use?

4. Called2Teach

Called2Teach Rookie

Mar 9, 2007

Well, actually, it's a word a group is trying to use in stating their vision for an organization. And it just doesn't sound right for me. Sooner or later, it will be put up in a document. And before that happens, i want to explain why it just doesn't sound right. The statement goes like this "We are overcoming light-bearers..." Any help?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 10, 2007

You're right that it sounds bad. The problem, though, isn't the word itself - there's nothing wrong with "light-bearers" - but the context.

"We are overcoming light-bearers" is ambiguous. The sentence can be paraphrased in two ways:

(a) "We are light-bearers and we are overcoming", as in overcoming something else

(b) "Light-bearers need to be overcome, and we are overcoming them"

The problem, that is, is that overcoming can be either an adjective that modifies the predicate noun light-bearers or a present participle of which light-bearers is the direct object.

I assume the sense you have in mind is of light-bearers who are overcoming something else. That being the case, try going for a word that is more obviously an adjective: victorious, maybe.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2007

I agree with TG-- I have no idea what that phrase means.

Are you the overcoming light-bearers, or are they the ones being overcome? And what on earth does a light-bearer do anyway? Without trying to sound flip, it sounds as though they carry flashlights or spread the word of God-- I'm not sure why either would need to be overcome.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 10, 2007

As stated, it would mean that your group wants to take control away from the group of light-bearers. The problem with this, if it is your intent, is that the connotation of light-bearers is that they, in fact, know the truth and stand for righteousness. (Light being a frequent theme in the bible.)

If you don't mean that you want to overcome that other group, then your partial sentence doesn't seem logical. You could proclaim yourselves to be the light-bearers who want to ...... change the world or whatever. But, the word, 'overcoming', is the problem. Not the word 'light-bearers'. JMHO