Cognitive and Constructivist Learning

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by blinker, Jun 12, 2008.

1. blinker

blinker New Member

Jun 12, 2008

I need to do a 90 minute presentation for and Ed Psych class regarding Cognitive and Constructivist views of learning. Does anyone have any ideas that can be incorporated into the presentation, such as activities both small group and whole class? My class size is a group of 8 and I will be presenting to them.

3. who me

who me Rookie

Jun 14, 2008

Wow, 90 minutes! What a tough assignment. Wish I had some ideas to help you out. Good luck.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2008

Hmm... I am stretching back to my masters program here... it's been a while. If I were to structure something like this I might start with a powerpoint presentation discussing the main points of each theory. After I did this, I might do an activity where they are asked to use the theories to complete it or something of that nature, then do some sort of debriefing with the group. Not sure that is what you are looking for... I have to whip out my text books.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 14, 2008

I would use Talking Drawings: have everyone close their eyes and think about what cognitive learning is for a few minutes and draw what they saw in their mind. Give your presentation (I would use a powerpoint) and have the class draw a second picture of cognitive learning and write 2-3 sentences about how their pictures changed and why they made those changes. They could even turn to a partner and share how their idea of what each theory was changed after the presentation. Repeat the whole process for constructivism.

You can make a handout with the paper divided in thirds or use chart paper (I would do this if you have chart paper available). It is best if the drawings and sentences are on the same paper. It is fun to hang them up and compare pictures too (another way to fill up those 90 minutes :)).

6. blinker

blinker New Member

Jun 15, 2008

Thank you, any help would be great!

7. blinker

blinker New Member

Jun 15, 2008

Thank you. I am looking for suggestions for activities to represent the two different styles of learning, so this is definitely helpful.

8. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

Don't forget to throw out some names...

Vtgosky, Skinner, and above all Piaget... the father of constructivism...