Coffee

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissWull, Apr 2, 2011.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 2, 2011

Random post! I want coffee right now (it's 8:30pm here) and was telling my husband he should go make some for 'us'..hehe. He says "no way! we'll never go to sleep!". Oddly enough coffee doesn't really have that affect on me. I don't feel wired or unable to sleep from it...so I can drink it whenever really.

On the coffee topic...what's your favorite kind to make at home?

My husband likes Pike's Place Starbucks coffee...but recently we bought a French Vanilla that is a local stores brand and it's actually pretty good, cheaper too! :thumb:

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 2, 2011

I'm not the biggest fan of American coffee, even though I drink it by the gallon. I much prefer the Cuban Cafe Coladas over anything else. Since I live in North Dakota, I have to make it at home. Also, since I live in ND, my preferred brand of coffee isn't available, so my mother recently sent me two pounds, along with a stove top Cuban coffee maker. I was very happy.

4. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 2, 2011

Oooh, what a nice mom! :) Enjoy it. hehe.

I have to admit, the best coffee I had was when we visited a coffee bean farm (I guess that's what you'd call it) when I got married in Kauai. Mmmmm...

5. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 2, 2011

She has her moments...

6. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 2, 2011

Update: He made me coffee! Yay. :)

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 2, 2011

I LOVE coffee! I can only drink it in the morning because of caffeine sensitivities (no caffeine after 3 is my rule). I love Starbucks Pikes Place and Christmas blend. That gives me the idea of buying several pounds of the Christmas blend and freezing it this winter. I usually buy Don Fransiscos Vanilla Nut blend or Dunkin Donuts Hazelnut. I make coffee way too strong and go through a container in less than a week. I don't measure I just pour. My favorite coffee indulgence is Starbucks Raspberry Mocha.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2011

We have a Keurig so it's easy to have a coffee beverage ANYTIME. I like Cinnamon Roll, Hazlenut, and am sipping a latte right now.:p

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2011

The ONLY way I'll drink coffee is heavily dosed with Kahula and some whipped cream.

So let's just say I don't drink much coffee, parrticularly at work.

Tea, however, is a different story.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 3, 2011

I've never met a coffee I didn't like! However, I've had some questionable brews made by people who didn't know how to make it! I hate weak coffee. I love the premeasured K-cups but I also use the filter with my own coffee sometimes. I prefer grinding my own beans and usually grind them a bit finer. I end up using less coffee that way.
    Sometimes coffee will keep me up if I drink it late at night but last night I drank coffee around 8:30pm and had no problem going to sleep by 11.

11. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Apr 3, 2011

I make Community New Orleans blend at home.

12. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 3, 2011

I don't ever drink coffee. It smells bad to me.

My DH loves coffee. We have a keurig and a regular coffee maker. He likes the brands coffee people and donut shop.

13. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Apr 3, 2011

Speaking of coffee, can someone recommend a coffee maker? I love coffee in the mornings but my coffee maker is awful.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 3, 2011

Mmmmm, coffee. I just finished my first cup and am on the way to pour my second. I tend to buy flavoured coffee (caramel or cinnamon-hazelnut are my favourites) at one of the discount stores near here--they almost always have good quality coffee beans marked down. I drink lots of coffee in the morning (but am trying to cut back a bit). I can't drink it after about 4 in the afternoon or else I wake up in a sweat at about 1:00am.

15. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Apr 3, 2011

My favorite flavor is hazelnut mm :) I just bought some from the brand 365 from Whole Foods and it's pretty good. I NEVER used to drink coffee-- I'm a strictly tea person and have a whole cabinet in my house dedicated to boxes of tea, but I've found that tea slowly wakes me up and coffee is pretty instant. I've taken to drinking one cup of coffee in the morning before first period because they deserve for me to be just as awake and excited as fourth period!

16. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 3, 2011

Cuisinart. The nice ones can be expensive they they are really good and last a long time.

17. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Apr 3, 2011

I'm not a coffee drinker, unless it's an Ice Blended Mocha from Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf; I prefer tea. Plain Lipton is fine, but I like English or Irish breakfast a lot. DD works for a Starbucks up at school, and she gets a free item every week, so she collects packs of Via for my husband so he can have a cup of regular every morning at work, where they only make decaf.

18. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 3, 2011

Anyone from Texas here who's had HEB "Taste of Texas" San Antonio Blend? It is quite possibly one of the best things to ever be invented!

19. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Apr 3, 2011

I go through phases. I really don't consider myself a coffee drinker...but there are periods of time where I'll want it every day, then I can go weeks without having a cup.

Is that Keuring (sp?) coffee maker worth it? I know you can only use those K-cups with it. It sounds awesome to have all those different choice and how quick it makes it. But buying those little K-cups I could imagine adds up!

20. KDS

KDS Companion

Apr 3, 2011

i gave up "Foofy" coffe for Lent...as my hubby and son call it... So right now, i can make coffee at home and can have coffee that they make at the office...but no Starbucks, or Stingers or even a McCafe...

so all this talk about good coffee (i manage to make sludge on a daily basis lately) makes me want to lick the computer with hopes that this thread will taste like coffee....

mmmmhhh...latte...

needing Easter to get here!!!!!

21. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 3, 2011

This would be a good time for an espresso machine and some good recipes...

22. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 3, 2011

French Market 100% Arabica Dark Roast Coffee

23. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 4, 2011

You can buy a filter to put in the Keurig that can be filled with your own coffee. I use the filter when I run out of K-cups or can't find a coupon for them since they tend to be expensive at some stores.

24. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Apr 4, 2011

Do the Keurig cups make only one cup of coffee? Is it a strong brew? I double the amount of coffee you are supposed to use because I like it strong.

25. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Apr 4, 2011

It's funny that I saw this thread today, since yesterday I drank a rather large glass of iced coffee around 7:30 pm and and thought nothing of it....until I went to bed and was wide awake for about 3 hours! What was I thinking? My favorite-Seattle's Best. No flavors for me. If I want something alittle fancier-I use a flavored cream.

26. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 4, 2011

I am a coffee AND tea drinker.

I buy my coffee from our local coffee shop, which is also where I prefer to get coffee out. I like it flavored, but I don't have a favorite. Sometimes I tell them to surprise me. I like it with lots of milk, too. I have tried to buy some flavored coffees but I don't like them - I prefer adding the syrup later. I cannot drink caffeine after like 10. lol. I get jittery, and sometimes it makes me jittery anyway. I don't drink it everyday - it is more like a treat for me, and if it isn't in the morning, it has to be decaf. I am actually meeting a friend for coffee after work today.

Tea is another story. I also like it with milk - the RIGHT way. lol. We have a whole drawer just full of different teas. Lemon Lift and Fruit and Almond are my two favorites right now, and the fruit and almond I had to order from the Bigelow website by the case. lol. I drink it all day - if I run out of water at work, it is the only way I will drink the school's water. I have an assortment in my desk, as well. And a cup of tea, especially flavored, in the evening, with a little milk and stevia, can sometimes appease my sweet tooth.