Cobb County?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsBee, May 15, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 15, 2009

Anyone teach in Cobb County in Georgia or know anything about the area?

Just had some questions.

3. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 16, 2009

I don't teach in Cobb but I lived in a county very close to there for all of my life until I moved to Broward County, FL. I'd be happy to answer questions, if I can....and if I can't I still have loads of family and friends who live in GA to ask. : )

4. palla

palla Companion

May 16, 2009

I am not in Cobb, but I am in metro ATL. I am happy to help you, MsBee.

5. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

l8ybugmon what county did you live in? How did you like the area?

palla what county are you in? Metro ATL is that Marietta City Schools?

6. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 16, 2009

We live in Cherokee Co and love it! Schools are great here as well. Cobb County is a big county...lots of jobs open too. there is also Marietta city schools I think that is separate. Atlanta Public School system is down in the metro area...Cobb is outside of the perimeter of the city.

7. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

How far is Cherokee Co from Atlanta?

8. l8ybugmom

l8ybugmom Groupie

May 16, 2009

I lived in Douglas County for 33 yrs up until I moved down here 3 yrs ago. I loved living in GA...and hope that one day I'll move back there. It is my "home." Like you've heard, Cobb is huge so if you could narrow down what area you are looking at, would be helpful to those of us who know the area. Marietta City schools are located in Cobb County. There is lots to do there...shopping, etc. Some places are nice and some places are run down. You could be in Atlanta in 30-45 minutes (maybe less). However, traffic in the Atlanta area is HORRIBLE! Point being, you'll want to move near where you'll be teaching. Public transportation isn't as good as in other areas of the country. Don't know where you are moving from but the hospitality in southern states is WONDERFUL!!!

9. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

Marietta City Schools, Cobb, Fulton, Douglas. In or surrounding Atlanta area.

10. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

Also MommySerentity Cobb County does not have that many vacancies when I checked. Do you know something I need to know!!!!! lol

11. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 16, 2009

MsBee...We are about 45 mins from downtown ATL. Cobb has more vacancies than most other counties right now to be honest. Cherokee is on hiring freeze. Marietta City just laid off a bunch of teachers too and is on a freeze. Forsyth Co is about 40 mins from downtown and is one of the best systems in the state. They do have some "projected" openings for 2009-2010 but they aren't hiring as of yet. The key to Cobb is all about what area of Cobb you are in. SOme are great areas...others not to much. Not sure about Atlanta Public School...my Sister in Law teaches with them and I think she said they are trying to move teachers around to cover openings before hiring new ones.

12. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

I was going to apply to Forsyth but from the map looked so far away. Didn't know it was 40 min or so. Cool. I'll look into that.
    As for Cobb County...well because I don't know the area I have no idea what area I am looking at. I guess when I get an interview or whatever I could PM you so you can give me the heads up on certain areas.
    I didn't want to apply to Atlanta Public Schools. I read on a site that because they are "inner city" they require some experience which I don't have.

13. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 16, 2009

APS is the same as Cobb County...depends on where you are location wise as to the type of demographic. Some APS schools are in fabulous neighborhoods and are well sought after. They also pay very well.

PM me with specific school info if you want.

14. palla

palla Companion

May 16, 2009

MsBee, I am in Forsyth. It is a great area, but I don't know of the opportunities for jobs. Right now the county is on a hiring freeze. Who knows how it will work out. Some say there will be no jobs offered for next year; others say there will be some but just a few.

Metro ATL is huge. I don't know the exact number of counties, but I believe it is around 25 or so. I have relatives who live in metro ATL also and they are 65 miles away. It is a local call to phone them, but it takes an hour and half to see them.

PM me with questions.

15. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 16, 2009

Once I get the ball rolling with this application stuff and submitting my info I will def pm you guys for info. Especially if I get some kind of interview I can give out some school names.

Any areas in Cobb county or near to stay away from? As for apartments or schools?

16. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 17, 2009

East Cobb is a great area for schools and for living, but living there is going to cost you more. Kennesaw, Woodstock, and Acworth are both close to Kennesaw State U. and housing is much more affordable there and still a nice area to live in plus close to lots of stores/restaurants etc...

17. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 17, 2009

Well hopefully since Cobb just put up the vacancies so send good vibes that something will come my way.
    Once that ball starts rolling I will def have more questions.

18. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 18, 2009

Tell me about it! I am hoping to get a job over the summer in Cobb, Forsyth, or Cherokee.

19. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 18, 2009

I guess I have some competition with you Mommyserenity!!!!! lol

20. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 18, 2009

Maybe :lol: But, in my case I don't have to get a job this year if something doesn't pan out. I am currently a Dir. of Education for a local Christian school and will be finished with my M.Ed in ECE in December. My youngest child is in PreK this year and I had not planned to go back to work full time until she goes to K. in the same school with her older sister. So, worst case is that I stay in my current part time job and wait it out until next year. I think I am looking more in a "if something comes my way then great" attitude for this year.

Cherokee is a great county! They get 8 weeks off for summer. They do go back a week earlier than other counties and stay in a week later, but every 8 weeks the kids and teachers get a week long break. We get a week in Sept, Nov (T'giving), Xmas holidays, a week in Feb, and then April. It rocks as a schedule, so I really would love to hold out for Cherokee to mirror what my kids do.