Coats in the classroom

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LimaUniformNovemberAlpha, Mar 7, 2021.

1. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha Rookie

Mar 7, 2021

In university, students are allowed to bring coats into the classroom and put them on their chairs.

In high school, students are told to put coats in lockers.

But what if there's a fire during the winter? I know in practice evacuation plans have designated shelters to which students are expected to immediately proceed, but under some weather it wouldn't take long for frostbite to set in.

As well, on a more trivial note, putting coats on chairs frees up more space in lockers for other things.

What possible reason against coats in the classroom could outweigh both of those things combined?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 7, 2021

Wow! I'm shocked. You are a former educator, and you don't know that hanging coats on the back of chairs in elementary or secondary is a violation of no less than 3 different fire codes? I'm amazed that anyone who teaches would not be aware of that.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 7, 2021

At the middle school level, it is considered a safety hazard. Coats, jackets, and hoodies along with tote bags and backpacks were all listed as things kids shouldn’t have in class.

RainStorm likes this.
  5. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Mar 9, 2021

Not all fire marshalls are sticklers for things. It apparently varies from state to state. I've been teaching since 1998 and wasn't aware of those being code violations. So, there's that. I'm allowed to hang paper on my walls, curtains in my windows, stuff from my ceiling, and decorate my door with paper. So, you might can chill a little.

6. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Mar 9, 2021

Yeah, I would think it is the aisles to the left and right of your desks, not the space in front of and behind your desks, that makes the difference to your ability to evacuate during a fire. If the space in front of and behind your desk is that vital, yet that severely limited, your classroom is already overcrowded and that needs to be fixed ASAP, followed by a public debate in your district over the merits of that particular aspect of the fire code.

Also, where I've taught, backpacks were allowed in the classroom, and coats weren't, and I kept reminding students to put their backpacks on the backs of their chairs, instead of to the left or right of their desks. One would think something that comes that much closer to being a fire hazard than a coat on their chair would've been drilled into their minds by junior high.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 9, 2021

Why are you airing your grievances here? You should have brought your issues up where you worked. What's the point? It sounds like you're here to talk about what you disliked about the schools where you worked and want us to validate your complaints.

RainStorm likes this.
  8. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Mar 9, 2021

Hardly. It's the Internet; for all I know, they might sympathize with me less than they let on, or they might sympathize with me more than they let on.

The point is to figure out what larger issues it reflects on, and how instances like these relate to the bigger picture to tell us what to do about it come the next school board election. Even on this site (though more so on other sites) I've actually praised some aspects of schools I otherwise disliked.

I probably could bring up these issues with my former colleagues as well, but then they'd wonder why I waited until months after leaving to bring them up.

9. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Mar 9, 2021

Reddit r\teachers is where you want to go. It's a bit more negative than this forum.

But more to the point, I guess, is that the education business is crazy insane. Just looking at the variety of credentialing requirements across jurisdictions is mind bending. Where are you going to go, who do you have to to talk to fix the whole thing?

What is your long term strategy?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  10. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Mar 9, 2021

Other reasons to not allow coats in the classroom is to prevent the spread of lice, and to have one less place for concealed weapons.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2021

Right now, with COVID protocols, lockers are not being used. All student belongings are in the classrooms.

12. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Mar 10, 2021

Definitely never heard that.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Mar 11, 2021

I have never heard of it being a fire violation, but from 4th grade up, it is not allowed here due to weapons.

14. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Mar 11, 2021

Rain, fire codes are not federal. They are state and local codes. They will differ from place to place.

Coats are not allowed on in classes here. They are either in cubbies or in lockers.

When it comes to fires and fire drills, we don't allow students to take anything with them. No backpacks, books, papers, etc, so having coats available wouldn't be allowed. So, taking a coat with them would not be allowed. Alarm goes off, focus, get up, walk out orderly and quickly without running. Take nothing with you.

Now, I don't live in an area where the temps are deadly within 10 minutes so, I am not sure how these rules apply in those areas, but I will know I have in my life known standing in rain or cold during just a fire drill or when an alarm was pulled (no fire).