Coaching

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sizzla_222, Dec 12, 2011.

1. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Dec 12, 2011

Does anyone on the forum coach a sport as well as teach??

I coach basketball at the school I work at. (I am an aid currently - hoping to get a teaching position next year.)

I thoroughly enjoy coaching and think I would like to carry it on wherever I get a teaching position.

How about you guys? If so what sports? How do you like it?

3. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Dec 12, 2011

Not coaching currently, but coached for over 25 years - in four different sports, but pretty much every year in both track and cross-country - loved it! Great way to interact with kids out of the classroom setting. A bit stressful as per the lack of time for class prep and correcting papers, much less actually seeing your family during your seasons (!!!) but worth it to me for all those years!

4. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Dec 12, 2011

I coach speech. It is a huge time commitment and doesn't pay very well, but it is my favorite part of my job. I get to work with different students of different ages, and seeing students improve is amazing.

5. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Dec 12, 2011

Is it true that prospective teachers are more attractive to schools if they are interested in coaching a sport or advising a club?

6. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Dec 12, 2011

good question myrisophilist. I have heard the same thing, but wonder if its true . . .

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2011

I've coached both basketball and cross country. I also have worked with a few school clubs and a Girls on the Run program. It definitely is worth the time, even if the money isn't so great. The students love it and you get to know the students on a different level.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2011

You aren't going to get a job just because you want to coach in most places. However, if it came down to two candidates who were equals and one coaches, then I have known the coach to get the job.

The district I grew up in hired a football coach with a great record from another district and offered him lots more perks than other teachers in his contract negotiation.

9. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 12, 2011

I know the school was specifically interested in me because I had some experience with drama. Not saying at all that's why I got hired, just that they were definitely interested in that aspect.

I am the fall play director and the spring musical assistant director.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 12, 2011

I coached the academic team for 5 years. I really did like it, but I had some medical issues that prevented me from being able to fulfill my duties, so I resigned.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2011

Like kc, I coached Speech and Debate for 18 years. It was every afternoon after school until 4 or 4:30, and Saturdays from about 7 am till 6 pm.

The season started in mid September, and went until March, with 2 additional weekends for State and National finals.

I loved doing it. I was VP of our local league, and I met a lot of fabulous kids.

Once my own kids came along, the time commitment was simply too great.

12. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Dec 13, 2011

I coach, along with my husband (not a teacher, just a dad/volunteer) the Lego Robotics teams. Before that, I coached cheer, but I handed that off because enough was enough! I'm lucky to be able to have coaching with my husband, and at a time when both our children are involved in the activity. It doesn't pay anything extra, but it really brings a lot to our school and the kids there.

13. sizzla_222

sizzla_222 Companion

Dec 13, 2011

Thanks for the reply guys!
    Sounds like you guys have been involved in a lot of extra curricular activities.

I had an interview last week for a private school that may be adding middle school. One of the main topics of discussion was about me starting a basketball program for the school. So I think it would at least help with getting a job in some ways. It is an extra that the school gets when they hire you.