Coaching Question

Discussion in 'P.E. Teachers' started by CoachBR, Feb 2, 2010.

1. CoachBR

CoachBR New Member

Feb 2, 2010

I am in college now and plan to be a basketball coach in about three years. Is it a good idea to allow parents to help at practices? Is it better for the team members if you tell them no parents allowed?

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 2, 2010

Well, I'm not a basketball coach, but I am a speech coach, and I have dealt with parents a lot in extracurricular activities.

I'm going to be brief.

No, it's not a good idea to allow parents to help. Not if you want to be the one making decisions based on the good of your team for long.

Yes, it would be better for all team members if no parents are allowed.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 2, 2010

What is it with these questions from Arkansas that keep sounding like homework?

CoachBR, if your question is motivated by a school assignment, I suspect your prof would rather hear your reasoning than ours.

5. 12Souza

12Souza Rookie

Feb 10, 2010

I coach HS football.... Parents are not allowed to help. If they want to help, they can apply to become a certified coach. This depends on the age level though. I mean if you have a bunch of toddlers, its probably a good idea to let parents help.

However, their input is always valued. They just need to do it the appropriate way. You should hold a mandatory meeting for every parent of every player and make sure you communicate their role within the program as a parent and what constitutes appropriate communication between you and them.

Usually there are problems because the communication between coaches and parents is weak and ambiguity begets distrust. Holding a meeting and being open to parents usually bridges this gap.

6. ginac

ginac Rookie

Feb 22, 2010

parents

Parents can help by providing food or snack (taking turns) or running a booster club to help pay for extras....new uniforms, bus trips, special tournaments. Do not allow them to help coaching!:dizzy: