Coaching--is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Tulipteacher, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Tulipteacher

Tulipteacher Companion

Jan 17, 2017

I have a chance to be the JV softball coach. I played softball growing up and in high school so I'm comfortable with the sport and the actual coaching. I am worried about the time commitment for the games as well as the logistics of it all--reserving the buses, communicating to students when practice is cancelled due to bad weather, all that stuff.

On the other hand, I love the sport and this opportunity fell into my lap.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 17, 2017

Your district probably has a bus request procedure in place. Plug your schedule into a calendar and write down bus request deadlines.

Communicating with students can be done with the Remind app or Bloomz. There are probably other apps available as well.

Only you can decide if your stipend is worth the time committment. If you're on the fence, I'd say go for it and you can always decline if asked again next year if it isn't for you.

Bioguru likes this.
  4. DobbyChatt

DobbyChatt Rookie

Jan 23, 2017

I'm surprised you didn't get more replies.

For me, coaching has never been worth it. Many, many hours of time commitment for about a $4k raise per year. This probably illustrates what you already know--if you love the sport enough, the pay won't matter.

5. Hurricane J

Hurricane J Rookie

Jan 24, 2017

I coached Middle School football and as a head coach made $500. After tax it was about $240, needless to say, I did not coach the next year. I enjoyed coached and loved my kids, but the pay was far below what I felt the time commitment was worth. Buses were dealt with by the assistant principal and I would email the principal if I canceled practice or made any adjustments. Try being an assistant before a head coach. Assistants have much less responsibility but you can dip your feet in before jumping head first.

6. TechnoMage

TechnoMage Companion

Feb 8, 2017

A lot of years ago a very successful coach told me that you have to LOVE coaching or it will never be worth it. Once a coach, always a coach, once you start you will always be expected to be one. Seldom have I seen a great coach also being a competent teacher too. There is not enough time in the year to be both, not to mention the toll on a family (and really, the same goes for teaching).

7. Mar 19, 2017

Not to disrespect anyone in this forum, but if anyone goes into coaching at their school, much like teaching, based solely on the monetary incentives, then you will not enjoy it one bit. What needs to be examined is the fact that students need sports. I have coached football and baseball both as an assistant and head coach at the High School level for six years and when I figured it out one day I make about five cents an hour doing this. As bad as that sounds, I could not imagine my life without coaching and you can't put a price tag on the relationships I have built with players over the years. To some of these young men, I am the only adult role model they have in their lives and I like to think when they work hard to remain academically eligible so that they may play sports that it translates into continuing on to higher education where they can hopefully make a better life for themselves. Participation in high school sports has shown an increase on standardized test scores for those students and an increase of obtaining a college degree by 5% (Sziraki, 2011, p,3). These relationships that are built on the athletic field transfer over to the classroom as well. Some student-athletes who other teachers find difficult try extremely hard in my class which I feel is due to the relationship we have formed through their participation in extracurricular athletics.

No coach that truly cares about the well-being of his/her players does it for the money just as no teacher that cares about the well-being of his/her students does it for the money. A great teacher does everything in their power to ensure that their students succeed. Many of the teachers who have students that perform the best on state assessments are also coaches so I do not agree with the fact that there is no such thing as a good coach that is a good teacher or vice versa.

Reference
    Sziraki, G. S., Jr. (2011). The relationship between eleventh-grade varsity sports participation and academic achievement (Order No. 3455424). Available from Education Database; ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global: The Humanities and Social Sciences Collection. (870517928).

8. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Mar 26, 2017

For me to do an "extra" I have three questions that need to be answered:
    1. Is it something I might find enjoyable, beneficial to me personally or my career (could it prevent burnout, for instance?)?
    2. Is there a stipend?
    3. Does it somehow improve/reflect/compliment what I'm teaching, even if I stretch it a little?
    If the answer to one of those questions is no, then my answer is no.

Growing up and well into my 20s I was involved in competitive judo. NOT a high school sport of course, and my knowledge of other sports is pretty basic. Therefore, I'm not the best choice for an assistant coach position.

However, I teach government, was a government reporter for years as a journalist, and have a real interest in government and politics. The request to start a student government was made and all three questions were answered with a "yes." SG it is.

Peregrin5 likes this.