Co-Workers making life hard :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss Snix, Aug 23, 2017.

1. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 23, 2017

About a month ago I started working a full time teaching position at a private school. I have had the past years off to be a stay at home mother, but before that worked for about 5 years.

As part of my new role I teach a yr 4 class one whole day each week. I was left no plans, suggests, nothing as to what to do with them so have been slowly making things work. I have started building a good relationship with the children.

However the teacher I am covering that day is not impressed with how I take the class. The other year 4 teacher and I have had friendly chats but then she has clearly been turning them into negatives when relaying these chats to the teacher I replace. The teacher I replace has spoke to me about what I should and should not be doing in regards to behaviour management and brings up the fact I have not worked in so long, clearly as a negative point. Basically these two teachers are very clicky and not very friendly/welcoming.

One theory I have is possible jealously...the one I have chatted with has just returned to work after maternity leave and has her child in childcare and the one I replace is pregnant so will be going on maternity leave at the end of the year.

I have tried my best not to let it get to me until the Principal called me in for an 'urgent' meeting. The teacher I replace went and told the Principal how horrible and incompetent I am with the students. I was absolutely shocked and did not know what to say. I worked with each grade at the school and have had nothing but wonderful feedback from the other teachers and students.

I am now being required to observe the teacher I replace (then what is the point of me being there to replace her if she is teaching anyway!?) one session each week....because she is a ten year veteran (she graduated the year after me) and I have a 'lot to learn' from her (I have a bachelor and a masters). The Principal has also basically said when my contract ends in December that even though the position will be extended I most likely would not be offered it.

I am so hurt and upset that this has happend...this is my career and I feel like there is nothing I can do about it. I absolutely love the school, the students (my child goes there which makes it handy too) but these two teachers have just made my one day in that class absolutely miserable...and now costing me further employment.

Sorry...I just needed to rant...have cried so much over this.

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 23, 2017

I am so sorry this has happened to you! The fact that your principal is going completely on second-hand information instead of observing you leads me to wonder if you would really want to work in this school for the long haul.

DAH and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2017

Yikes.

Be careful with this line of thinking. Not every woman wants to stay at home. Many do, of course, but I think it's dangerous to jump to this one thing right off the bat.

It sounds like you and the teacher you are replacing have different expectations about how things will be done in the classroom. I admit that I'm unsure about this whole setup; depending on the setup, my advice may be different. Are you a sub?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 23, 2017

I am sorry this is happening. I agree that you probably do not want to be working in such a place if the principal has made this decision without observing you himself. I would also question having my own child in that school.

I also agree that you shouldn't assume jealousy is at hand. That is a cop-out. Women are rarely as jealous as others think they are. Definitely do not voice that opinion anywhere else. It makes you look like you think you're better than they are.

You've been told that you won't be asked to stay. Start looking for another job. Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

6. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 23, 2017

My first thought was why isn't the principal observing you first hand? I would request that the principal come and see you first hand. If parents are not complaining and are happy, then I think it is very disturbing that these coworkers are doing this. Like someone else stated, maybe you would be better off in another school. It's sad that the principal just believed these other teachers with no evidence or first hand observation.

As to why these teachers don't like you, you might never know. However, their opinion of you should have no bearing on your job. I would with someone I feel is incompetent and unprofessional, but I would never say anything to anyone in power. That is not my job.

If the principal will not observe you, I would try to fight back and see if there is someone else who could observe you. I'm just thinking that you might need a good recommendation to get another job.

7. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 23, 2017

[QUOTE="Miss Snix,
    • I was left no plans,
    • the teacher I am covering that day is not impressed . .
    • these two teachers are very clicky
    • One theory I have is possible jealously..[/QUOTE]
    If she left you NO PLANS, then it's HER FAULT that things didn't go the way SHE WANTED!

That's a requirement in most districts: if a teacher has a replacement come in, they must leave plans and expectations. Otherwise, the call is on you. And how dare she complain!
    In fact, YOU should be the one complaining about her leaving no plans.

If I had taken this long-term job, and there had been no plans, I WOULD HAVE CALLED HER before day 2 began, to tell her that I couldn't find the lesson plans, and what did she want me to do. You should have been told SOMETHING!
    When the principal called you in, I hope you told him that you were left on your own. He needed to know that.

Besides that, this is SO NOT UNUSUAL among women to backbite, gossip, and throat-cut another woman who is an outsider. And if this is the first time something like this has ever happened to you, YOU'RE LUCKY.

Finish the job, FORGIVE the little teacher next door, continue to show good will towards her, and head on down the road of life, and let this be a lesson learned (for you).
    Good luck

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
  8. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 23, 2017

Why don't you tell this jerk - because that's what she is - excactly how you feel? I would not put up with this bullying - because that's what it is. Show the principal what you have accomplished instead of slinking away ashamed.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 24, 2017

I don't feel like there's enough here to adequately respond. I've elicited similar reactions at times but it's based on people being threatened by change, nothing to do with me or them.

If I was you, I'd send an email to the principal requesting that they come observe you so that they can give you an idea of where you can grow. Before they officially meet with you to review, take the observation tool they would use (or pick one like Danielson) and fill it out explaing why you made classroom decisions based on research. You'll be hired full time and the other teachers will look like idiots if you do well. You'll get better if you do poorly.

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 24, 2017

Don't do this.

AmyMyNamey likes this.