Co-worker Worry

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Starista, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 15, 2006

Hello! :)

I wasn't sure of the appropriate forum section to post this ~ so I thought I'd post it here! :)

I am a 5th year teacher (taught K for 4 years and 1st for 1) and just started at a new private school due to a move from DC to Florida. :)

I am very worried about the feelings of the two other 1st grade teachers, namely one in particular. She is also the 1st grade "grade leader." She has made comments that I am "too bubbly" and "too pure of heart." She also wouldn't let me write a letter to the parents (from all of the 1st gr teachers) as she said that when I write I am too "positive" and that she wanted the parents to take the note seriously. Also, she commented that she disliked when I asked if she was okay (she looked really sad when we were planning together) and said that she didn't like when peopel did that, as she just wanted to be left alone. :confused: :confused: :confused: I didn't know this!!

Anyways... I talked forever with my fiance about her and he told me not to worry, etc... It was the dat before our spring break so he mentioned that a break would be good...

But I am worried very much that she will be upset that I changed my room around a bit over the spring break. Next year we're adopting a wonderful new reading series (Harcourt Trophies) and it suggests that we have a word wall. Our current reading series is very lacking in the areas of site words, etc so I turned one of my classroom bulletin boards into a reading & writing word wall and posted the Dolch and Rebecca Sitton words on it. Most of the words on the word wall the children have already been introduced to and I think it will be a good tool for the remainder of the year.

I am so worried she will be upset that I made the word wall or try to discredit it somehow. :( I did not tel her I was doing this, but I do not think I have to. Maybe I am just worrying too much. :)

We also have principal evaluations coming up and I do not want her to think I did it just for the observation. Sure, it will look good, but I did it because I know it will assist the children and prepare them better for 2d grade. But I don't want to appear like a show off.

Thank you for letting me vent and I am so sorry if it sounded like a rant!

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2006

Take a step back-- when she says "bubbly" and "positive", does she mean "unprofessional"??

If not, then maybe she's just going through some rough times, either at home or at school. Try to take her comments with a grain of salt.

If your reading wall is based on the suggestions of the textbook your school has adopted, I'm not sure she can have a problem with it. Besides, unless you share a room, why is it her concern?

4. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 15, 2006

We teach at a Catholic School. At the end of every letter, instead of "Sincerely," I write "God Bless." I am always very positive with the children when discipline arisies and ask them "What would Jesus do."

There are the same behavior plans and consequences in each room. My children are no worse or better than hers. (They're typical 1st graders :angel: ). She is quite stern, which is not a bad thing. I just am not like her and worry that she wishes me to change my entire personality to cater to her ideas of a good class.

I have had no comments/suggestions from the administration or co-workers that I am unprofessional or too energetic.

I just wish she could appreciate our differences. :( There are several ways to teach, write, etc.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2006

Sorry, I didn't mean to end so abruptly-- there was a crash upstairs (my 3 year old doing I don't know what and it woke her brother!!!)

I also misunderstood-- you're teaching 1st grade, not 5th, right? Then bubbly is right on target.

I also had a "too stern" coworker for many years. She just always seemed to make a mountain out of a molehill, like demanding a student pick up a piece of paper instead of requesting. We both accomplished the same result, but I had many fewer kids groaning in September when they saw my name on their schedules, you know??

I say don't worry about her. It takes all kinds, and the administration knows that.

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2006

She sounds like she is an Eeyore and your are Tigger! I'd much rather have a Tigger teaching my kids then Eeyore! I don't think you are doing anything that would be a cause for alarm. Don't worry about Miss Doom and Gloom, keep focused on your kids. They are what is important, afterall. Keep positive around her, and who knows, maybe it will be contagious!

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2006

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 15, 2006

Has she been teaching for a while? I face some of the same comments, but not to that extreme, from some of my co-workers. I have a more lax classroom in some ways, which requires a little more strictness in others (they are allowed to take off their shoes, have chair cushions, and water bottles, for example.) I've been told I get to attached to the kids, I personally think it's a good thing when the teachers get close to their kids. Your teaching style is a reflection of your personality. It doesn't necessarily make yours better or worse than hers, but it's you, you have no reason to change it. It doesn't sound as if she is stating specific improvements she can suggest, besides, after teaching 5 years, you aren't a new teacher, just new to the school. Stay positive with her if you can, and do your thing. As my master teacher always said, "Smile and play pretty with them, then close your door and do it your way."
    Good luck!!

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 15, 2006

Kinder, I'm a Kanga, too! :)

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2006

Great quiz, Kinder...I'm a Kanga as well!

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2006

Oh boy..............maybe everyone is a kanga!!!!! LOL!:eek:

12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Apr 15, 2006

I'm Pooh! lol

13. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 15, 2006

I'm kanga too! :)

14. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2006

I'm Kanga ;)

15. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Apr 15, 2006

I'm a Kanga too!

16. Minerva

Minerva Companion

Apr 15, 2006

I'm Owl.

17. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Apr 15, 2006

(Sung to the tune of the Dr. Pepper song) I'm a kanga..you're a kanga..he's a kanga...she's a kanga...wouldn't you like to be a kangaroooo.... Guess I need another week off for spring break. Oh...I'm also a kanga.:p

18. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 15, 2006

That was fun! I'm Winne-the-Pooh! Except I don't like honey! :)

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2006

Starista, Pooh is much better then an eeyore!!! I still say that must be what your co-worker is. Sorry for getting your original thread off topic! I am amazed though at all the kangas there are..........must be a common trait for teachers!!!!!LOL!
    Oh, and Auburn teach...................loved the song version!!!:p

20. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 15, 2006

Well, when you finish the quiz, it says Kangas love kids, so that would be a common trait for all of us on here.

21. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2006

I would HOPE so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p :love:

22. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Apr 15, 2006

I turned out kanga, also. Would love to see the descriptions of what the other characters traits are.

23. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Apr 16, 2006

I am Winnie-the-Pooh. Winnie the Pooh. You are loveable and kind even if you are a bit slow sometimes. All you need to be happy in life is good food, good friends and good fun.

24. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 16, 2006

I also fit the descrption for a Winnie, but not as much as my fiance does!! :) :love:

25. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Apr 17, 2006

I am Winnie too!!! Ok so who is a leader who is a follower? I am a leader. I love to look for and come up with new ideas and share them, etc.

26. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 17, 2006

Guess what I'm kanga too.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 17, 2006

OK= Winnie the Pooh and friends aside- this woman is worried you are gong to show her up and she is threatened by you. That's her problem, not yours. Do your thing, shine your light. Don't check in on her about what you are dong- she is a crab in a basket--crabs in baskets tend to pull the other crabs down with them. Don't get involved....Find other positive like-minded teachers in your building and hang with them.

28. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 17, 2006

Czacza gave you great advice.

29. Starista

Starista Cohort

Apr 17, 2006

I am trying real hard to avoid her. :) Thanks so much for all the good advice. :)