Co-worker dilemma

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by turtlegirl, Sep 26, 2009.

1. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Sep 26, 2009

My son is in the other first grade at the school I teach at. His teacher is a nice wonderful man. However, he is not the best teacher. Since I started working with him 3 years ago I have made many teaching suggestions to him as his mentor that he has graciously listened to but taken few ideas back into his classroom :( Up until now I brushed it off and thought he just must have other ideas of his own and I was fine with it.

Now as my son is in there, I am getting a better idea of his teaching styles. I found out that he is meeting with his reading groups based on sitting arrangements instead of levels. Now mind you I tested my own son during the summer and he is reading at a Level J instructionally. He is currently reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid with me at night because I want to work on his "voice" in reading and this book is really good at that. I am upset that my son is not being put into a level that will improve his instructional level. What makes it worse is that another child in the class is really smart and her parents went to administration (because they wanted their daughter in my class) and now this little girl is getting pulled for enrichment and sitting through these non-leveled reading groups.

I am upset and I don't know what to do. I don't want to strain my relationship with my co-worker but I want the best for my son...

Any suggestions?:help:

I f

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 26, 2009

Oh, no! sounds like a tough situation to be in. I would maybe talk to administration. I am comfortable enough with my administers that it would be confidential and see what they have to say. Yes, he is your coworker but you are also a parent of a child in the class. Tough one.

4. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

I've got no advice, but wanted to wish you good luck in a sticky situation!

5. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

Are you not able to choose what teacher your child goes to? I was able to choose since the administration tries to honor any parent requests when feasible. I agree with the other suggestion. Talk to administration and advise them that you have concerns. You are a parent first.

6. turtlegirl

turtlegirl Companion

Sep 27, 2009

Unfortunately I am the only other first grade teacher and I didn't feel comfortable asking for me to have him without looking arrogant....

I am afraid to talk to administration because she will go directly to him and tell him I have concerns.. She's not very discreet about thing like this. If I go to him I am afraid he won't listen to me as he hasn't in the past. I am stuck and am afraid there is no way to do it without hurting my co-worker's feelings. Unfortunately I think that is my only choice. My son comes first.

Thanks for the support!

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 27, 2009

Your son comes first.

Make an appointment with the teacher and address your concerns. Not in the matter of "here's what I do and you should do it too" but as a concerned parent.

If that doesn't improve things, go to administration. Make an appointment and discuss your concerns.

8. kim@kto5

kim@kto5 Rookie

Sep 30, 2009

I think it's good idea to discuss your concerns carefully with administration and go over what options are available for students switching classrooms. Depending on how many marking periods your school has, after the first marking period may be a good time for the switch.