Co-worker and nap issue

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pabef, Feb 11, 2016.

1. pabef

pabef Comrade

Feb 11, 2016

I don't usually step in on another teacher's discipline or issues with their students, but my co-worker asked for my advice and I really disagree with how she is handling a situation with a student at nap. The student I'll call "Jed" never takes a nap. He is a model student at all other times of the day. He plays well in centers and on the playground with friends. He eats well and stays in his seat at lunch. The teacher said Jed is a "jewel" other than at nap. He has been diagnosed with ADHD and takes meds. He does everything he is not supposed to and then some at nap. He talks and plays. She tried giving him some quiet activities but he will not stick to them very long at all. Jed's mother(single mom) suggested moving him to a room by himself, but we have no staff for that. The teacher asked my advice and I told her to try and sit by him and pat his back. She did and this did not work. She gave him books at my suggestion, but he reads them out loud. I understand her frustration, but did not realize until today that she is not allowing him in the treasure box on Fridays due to his nap issues. We both use the traffic light system and if the children have not been on red all week (which for me it takes a lot to get on red;no-one every really does) they get in the treasure box. He has not been in the treasure box all year! I have a problem with this. Thoughts?

3. renard

renard Companion

Feb 11, 2016

How old? I'm guessing around 4?

"All week" is a long time to expect him to stay out red (keeping in mind his challenges). I'd aim for small rewards for quiet reading, even 10, 20, 30 minute intervals. No treasure box all year, that's a heartbreaker. He needs more motivation.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Feb 11, 2016

Is your coworker open to advice and willing to try it? Otherwise, there's nothing you can do because he's not your student. It's up to his teacher to take your (or anyone's) advice and implement it

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Feb 12, 2016

I teach preschool spec. ed. and I have multiple students with ADHD, usually also with other co-existing conditions. Although I don't agree with a traffic light system in preschool, especially one that requires good behavior all week, students like this need constant and frequent feedback. If he hasn't gotten treasure box all year, where's his motivation to try to earn it now? I would start simply. Find out what is highly motivating to him (computer time, time with a teacher, a special toy, a small treat, a sticker/stamp, being a helper, etc.). Then, start a reward system of "If you sit quietly on your mat for ____ minutes, you earn _____". Set a timer and when the timer goes off, he gets the reward. He needs to be set up for success, so that first day it might just be sitting for 1 minute. The time eventually increases, and the reinforcer might also need to become more and more valuable to him. I would also pair a system like this with visuals that can be set right in front of him on the mat. So you might have a file folder with a picture of his cot on one side and a picture of his reward on the other side.

6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 12, 2016

My special ed students are older but most function at a preschool level so the traffic light system would not work but using a timer does. Do his parents have any suggestions as to what he can do during nap time? I think he should be earning something for the GOOD behavior for the rest of the day even if the napping time is difficult.

7. pabef

pabef Comrade

Feb 13, 2016

Thank you for the advice. She is open to suggestions, but doesn't always take my suggestions. I know she is just frustrated. He is 4.