Co-Teaching?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by newgateacher, Jul 20, 2011.

1. newgateacher

newgateacher Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

Just wondering if anyone has experience with co-teaching. I am a new teacher and will be co-teaching math and reading in two different 3rd grade classrooms. I don't know a lot of details yet but would love to hear from anyone who has any experience.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2011

You need to define the co-teaching relationship with your other teachers. You will probably play different roles in each classroom and might even have more than one role in a classroom.

Do you want to teach? If so, make sure you speak up. You could alternate mini lessons or topics.

It's all about finding what works for you, the other teacher, and the class.

4. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Jul 29, 2011

This will be my 3rd year co-teaching. I love it. I really get along well with my co-teacher.

I'm the general education teacher. My co-teacher comes to my classroom for only 3 periods a day. I wish we were together all day. :( We've finally reached a point where she feels comfortable enough with the curriculum to parallel or station teach. She's a godsend when it comes to working with small groups- we each work with a group while remaining students work in stations. Within 50 min each day, we are able to meet with every single student in a small group and every student gets to participate in one station.

For math, I'll usually start the mini lesson before she arrives in the afternoon. When she gets there, I do a quick formative assessment and then break the kids into groups based upon their needs. We take turns doing all levels... it works out very well.

MY co-teacher came into my classroom after doing many years of 4th grade resource room. She was very hesitant to lead lessons... During the first year she spent a lot of time observing and helping as needed. Now we are at a point where we both teach... I'm so happy she's comfortable with our curriculum now! She's fabulous and I love her!

Good luck with your co-teaching!

5. newgateacher

newgateacher Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

Thank you MMRbella! Your post is very helpful. After talking to some of the other teachers, I found that I will be co-teaching with two teachers. One who will welcome me in her classroom and one who will not want me there at all. Supposedly she does not want any special ed students in her class and doesn't want any other teacher in there either. Should be interesting!