Co-Teaching Video

Discussion in 'General Education' started by catnfiddle, Jan 29, 2015.

1. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 29, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVffcgVuANM

Warning, this is very silly. However, I love that it promotes all of the GOOD things about working with another teacher. I am so much happier this year now that I work with a counterpart who is as invested in the class and the students as I am.

What are the most positive things about co-teaching in your classroom? How do you deal with the negatives?

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2015

I can honestly say I'm finally in a perfect co-teaching relationship. We co-teach all day everyday and the class is completely shared between the two of us. I cannot see any negatives.

There are sooo many positives. The biggest is that I truly believe our relationship serves as a model for our students. I've never had a class that was as caring, considerate or gets along as well as my class. They truly are like a family. They look out for each other, they praise each other its amazing to watch. It's not normal to have kids getting in fist fights or cursing each other out on a daily basis in my school. I know they're a special group of kids but I think they see how my co-teacher and I interact and how we both interact with them and it's created a wonderful environment.

Other pros:
    -someone to constantly bounce ideas off of
    -someone who really get it when you need to vent
    -kids are exposed to different teaching styles
    -constant support- especially emotionally
    -kids get lots of small group attention- even the high students
    -someone to take a kid off your hands when you need a break

There's a million more I can't articulate right now.

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jan 30, 2015

I started co-teaching this year with my good friend. We have known each other for years before this, and this helped some. However, it was admittedly not easy. First quarter SUCKED. We were trying to figure out roles without stepping on anyone's toes. Second quarter went better because we finally sat down and had an honest conversation about how things were going. We came up with a plan TOGETHER. We're gonna kill it third and fourth quarter!

The biggest benefit is all the attention the kids get, hands down. Out of all math periods, this one showed the most growth. We are able to differentiate much more easily.

5. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2015

Definitely agree with this too. Our class generally scores the same if not better as the general education classes on simulations and other tests. That's with all of our students factored in. We get to meet with double the amount of guided reading groups, small math groups, etc. etc.