Co-teaching next year!!!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by hp123, Jun 30, 2010.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Jun 30, 2010

Hi everyone!

I hope you are all enjoying your vacation so far!

I found out the last day of school that I will be team teaching with another teacher at our school. I'm very excited and nervous at the same time. This is a teacher with about the same amount of experience as me. We have a very good relationship as fellow teachers and are also good friends.

I have no experience with team teaching. I really want to make this work well, and be aware of some of the obstacles up front.

If anyone can give me a list of things we should discuss before the school-year begins, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

3. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2010

I am looking forward to taking on this adventure as well (though on a smaller scale this year with the intent to make it full time). Could you share some more details on your situation so that we can offer the appropriate advice?

i.e. Class size/grade,

Is one of you a special ed teacher?

4. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Jun 30, 2010

I am going into my 7th year teaching Inclusion with my teaching partner. I can offer lots of advice! What grade and is it an Inclusion Classroom? If so, will you be the regular ed. or Special Ed. teacher?

More info would help - do you have any specific questions to address?

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 30, 2010

I'm team teaching this year too for the first time in eleven years. I'm really anxious about it, I'll do literacy and she's going to teach math, science, and social studies. We'll have about 20 kids a piece. My home room class will be identified G.T. kids, hers will be the advanced class. I'm hoping that at this point in my career, I only have four more years to teach, that this will offer some excitement and a change of pace.

What pit falls do I look for?

6. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Jun 30, 2010

Well, just to get you started, here is a list of things we have discussed over the years (just a few!!) depending on our class makeup. We have done self contained inclusion, and just finished our third year of departmentalized inclusion - I taught ELA and she traveled with the inclusion students and our Program Assistant to Math and Content. When they returned to ELA (our classroom) she led the teaching and I supported her.

We have discussed:

Parent Communication - how to keep track of each contact, who calls, etc.

Report Cards - dividing responsibilities.

Planning - we plan together but it wasnt easy at first - it took a while to get a system.

Teaching - dividing responsibilities, lead teaching (who is presenting info - do you mind if your partner "jumps in"?) how much should each partner be doing at any given time?

Discipline/Behavior System - set this up AHEAD of time!!
    (and watch out for what I call "Mom and Dad syndrome" - when the student asks one teacher for something, doesn't get a satisfactory answer and then asks the other teacher...it happens!!:)

Classroom Organization - will you both have desks? No desks? Share one desk? How will they be arranged?

Personal Space - this is an issue for us because we have some students with sticky fingers - our desks are a student free zone. No touching anything on them. We have student materials out so they don't touch our things - but we work wth teachers who have no problems with students helping themselves to anything in the room. How do you each feel about that?

I might be back to add a few more...hope this helps!