Co-Teaching Class

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by missapril81, Jan 23, 2017.

1. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Jan 23, 2017

I am a Pre-K teacher and I am also taking a class on Co-Teaching. I have been using my class and my aide to complete this class. However, I am trying to get some more ideas for my one assignment, The question I was given was how do you build community in your co-taught classroom. If anyone would like to share their ideas I would love to hear them. I used things such as be respectful, be equals, be able to adapt, flexible, but wanted to see what other teachers who are in a co-teaching environment use.

3. I Love Big Books

I Love Big Books New Member

Jan 23, 2017

Co-planning gives you both an equal voice.

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jan 23, 2017

Taking turns acting as the "lead" so the kids see both of you as real teachers
    Making sure whatever one teacher says is also agreed upon by the other, so the kids respect both of you (ie., don't go behind their back)
    Treat each other as professionals but also as friends so the kids can really see you respect AND care for each other

5. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jan 23, 2017

I think this is huge. Unfortunately I'm only in the room for part of our co-taught science class so it's hard for me to take a lead but the gen ed teacher and I make sure we're both working with all students at least some of the time. As the special ed teacher, my biggest job is making sure my kiddos with IEPs and 504s are getting the supports they need but those supports can sometimes be provided by the gen ed teacher while I work with gen ed students. Or each of us can work with a mix of students. That way, like ChildWhisperer, all the kids see you both as their teachers and not just "those kids" teacher.

6. missapril81

missapril81 Companion

Jan 24, 2017

Thank you for your replies. They were different from the others I came up with :)