CO Supreme Court rules vouchers are unconstitutional

Discussion in 'General Education' started by waterfall, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 2, 2015

If private schools are privately funded, then yes, they do get their money from donors and attendees (or whatever religious organization hosts them). Maybe it's not true that they get 'enough' money, if that's what you're contesting, but it is true that the majority of their money comes from sources other than the government. Do you also have data to support that most religious private schools provide scholarships for 1/3rd of their attendance? I find that hard to believe that all private schools do this. Maybe a few might, but not most.

I didn't state that money is the only problem. I simply said that it was one of the problems. And while public schools may spend more per student, remember that they still have a vastly different student body than the student body that attends private schools, who tend to have wealthier involved parents. Money can't buy a family who cares.

No, my argument that public money should go to public schools is that public schools serve the entire public, who are the ones that taxes are being taken from. Money shouldn't be taken from the general public and used to serve a particular religious group that will likely spend at least some of its money for use in hiring religion teachers or funding religious activities.

2. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2015

The problems happening in most public schools have little to do with lack of funding. Often it is mismanaged funds, poor school and classroom management, and focusing on new and trendy and pricey ways to fix the problems.

The public has gone to the political level to fix the public schools. Teachers and administrators tend not to like the focus of the fixes. ;)

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2015

Trendy and pricey ways to fix the problems...

Hmm, how much money is spent on standardized testing, the technology needed to run the tests, and test-prep materials per year, I wonder?

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 3, 2015

I do agree that funding isn't the only problem, though I wouldn't make the blanket statement to say increased funding wouldn't improve many schools and at least allow them to offer extended programs and such.

However that still doesn't justify taking money that is supposed to benefit the public and using it to benefit a particular religious denomination.