Co-op teacher refuses to send recommendation

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by teacher girl, Apr 22, 2013.

1. teacher girl

teacher girl Comrade

Apr 22, 2013

ok, my co-op hates me. She won't send my recommendation letter to the school system on purpose, they have been calling her like for the last 3 weeks and I called her and she said she would and then doesn't. Why would someone be so mean? I was so nice to her. I tried really hard to please her throughout this experience, but now I won't get a job because she refuses to send of her recommendation letter- help?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2013

Are there other people that can give you a reference?
    Unfortunately, there is not much you can do other than that. She doesn't HAVE to give you a reference :(

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2013

I would definitely try to find someone else to write a letter of reference...maybe another teacher, college professor, principal...

Maybe you can email or call her and ask her to CC you when she sends it or send you a reply when it is sent. Assure her that there must be some miscommunication going on because they don't seem to have received it yet.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Apr 22, 2013

I'm sorry this is happening to you but, it's true, she doesn't have to send a letter of recommendation out for you. It would be nice if she did, but she doesn't have to. I only had one student teacher I didn't recommend because it would have been untrue to do so. I didn't think he was even near being ready for his own teaching job. If you feel you are, why not give her a call and discuss why she won't recommend you? It's better to know than to be upset. Best wishes to you.:hugs:

6. bbcbbc

bbcbbc Rookie

May 12, 2013

Based on what you have stated, I think that you should try to figure out if there are two or three other people who can write good recommendation letters for you.

If you really want to know why your co-op did not write a recommendation letter for you, then I suggest that you email her first. If an email does not elicit a response from her, then I suggest that you try to make an appointment with her to "clear the air." If you cannot make an appointment to speak with her "face-to-face," then you might have to forget about finding out why she did not write you a letter... I would not "push it" any further than that...

7. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

May 12, 2013

Teacher girl, from some of your past posts, it seems like you knew this was going to be the outcome of your student teaching. Throughout your entire experience, you didn't get along with your co-op. Knowing that, you should have attempted to get recommendations from other people from the first sign of trouble. Like others have said, reach out to previous employers and professors in hopes of getting a recommendation.

8. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 12, 2013

I am so grateful that I ended up with the CT I did last fall. We worked exceptionally well together and became very close friends. He was so impressed by my teaching abilities that pretty much his word alone prompted the principal to offer me a job before my internship was even over. Right now though, NO ONE can get up with him because he has a medical emergency in his family--he has been out of the school for over a month and will likely not be back until the Fall. So now that I'm interviewing for positions closer to home, I have had to solicit recommendations from other teachers and other people with whom I have had professional teaching relationships with. I still have him as a reference point, but I've added two colleagues as well. I know that if need be, the principal and vp will say "her CT cannot be reached right now, but he spoke of her performance routinely during the internship and this was how it was..."

Did any other teachers during your internship observe you or did you work with anybody else? What about the school's VP or principal? Your supervisor who observed you teach?? Because your CT is saying she will and then doesn't, that gives you leverage to approach your potential employer and say, I'm not sure what she has going on but I know your time is precious---X, Y, and Z can also comment on my teaching capacity in the event that my CT doesn't get back with you in the near future.