Cluttered rooms?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by woobie5, May 5, 2009.

1. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

May 5, 2009

I will be a first time Kindergarten teacher next year. I observed at the school I will be teaching at today and I was sort of "overtaken" by the walls and how much stuff is on them. Is this normal? Would anybody be willing to post pics of their K classroom? THANKS!

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 5, 2009

It depends on the individual teacher. I'm known as the boring room because I only have one to two pieces of the children's work up at a time.

4. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

May 5, 2009

Besides children's work ... do you have a lot of other stuff on the walls? Like ... I couldn't even tell where the centers were or what the names of the centers were in this room. but I guess the students and teachers knew ... so that's all the matters.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 5, 2009

Just my calendar stuff.
    My room is very not cluttered it's to distracting for me. I go with the responsive classroom approach

6. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

May 5, 2009

Thanks! We sound alot alike!

7. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

May 5, 2009

I try my very best not to have a cluttered room (although right now it could use a good cleaning). My room is fairly small so I don't have room to have clutter. As far as the walls go, I used to decorate each month for the seasons and holidays, but it just became too much. I now only put up necessary charts and academic things (alphabet, numbers chart, word wall etc...) I also have cupboards on 2 walls. I put the kids names on the cupboard doors and any art work, special writings, projects etc.. goes on their designated cupboard door. Many of my colleagues have cluttered rooms and when I have to go to a meeting in thier room I can't concentrate on the meeting because I just keep looking around thinking of ways I could organize their space!!

8. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 6, 2009

Clutter is my big problem. But just looking at the wallspace in my class-we have up the calendar, word wall, several graphs we have made, our birthday chart, our schedule, our rules, writing anchor papers, learning partner list, alphabet chart, data scores-there is alot of stuff that has to be posted--our county does "walk-thrus" and there is a list of items that must be up. Kindergarten classrooms generally look 'busy'.

9. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

May 6, 2009

My room wasn't cluttered, but I really didn't have any open wall space and what I did have was over the water fountain. I did have a counter that no matter what I did I could not keep that cleaned off until Fridays.

10. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

May 7, 2009

I have a lot up in my room.

A HUGE wordwall, a poster for the King or Queen Bee, all the classroom jobs, KWL chart for butterflies (right now), and almost EVERY group writing we have done is stapled to the wall (kind of like a book though, they are stapled on top of each other, so the kids can flip through. I also have 3 peices of work up and a whole big calendar wall, the alphabet, numbers/number words, a long number line that we made together each day, posters of how to be a better reader and the hundreds of pictures/cards my kids have made for me this year (I only take them down at the end of the year, so they just pile up). Every square inch of bulletin board space is taken up- and I have requested to have more bulletin board put up on a brick wall for next year.

11. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

May 7, 2009

Also, please don't jump in to Kindergarten thinking you can make it 'look' like 4th grade. Environmental print is soooo important for them, and feeling pride in their work displyed is as well. I have worked with teachers who refused to put too much up, and the kids really suffered for it. They need something colorful, cheerful, and stimulating.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 7, 2009

13. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 7, 2009

That looks VERY nice. I was especially jealous of the smartboard (until I read your caption under it). I love the steps under it. What a great idea!

14. Groovy

Groovy Companion

May 7, 2009

Yes, I like the stairs, too. You have a lot of storage - how nice!

15. woobie5

woobie5 Comrade

May 7, 2009

Wow! Thanks for sharing! i love it!

16. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

May 9, 2009

You can see pictures of my entire classroom here.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 10, 2009

Thanks, guys!

The Smart board is nice, but it isn't reliable. Sometimes I will go to use it for a lesson and it won't be working. :( The IT people have been notified SO many times since it went up about 3 months ago...