Clunker Trading, how is this going to affect car sales?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Hoot Owl, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

We didn't have an automobile to use as a clunker trade in, but I'm car shopping. I'm wondering if I should hurry up and buy something, wait to see if car prices go up/down, or do you think there's going to be a shortage of new cars in the future?

3. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I don't think there will be a shortage of any cars except for the new Prius and Mini coopers... Besides from that, there's plenty of cars for them to sell you. Chrysler recent announced that it has some shortages, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. They are still 20-40 percent below their averages

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 10, 2009

We are currently buying a new car and are a little miffed about the "cash for clunkers" thing. Although we can afford a car without it, our trade barely gets good enough gas mileage not to qualify. Therefore, we are only getting $1000 for it, while people with much older cars are getting huge rewards. It's like we are being punished for buying an environmentally sound car in the first place!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 10, 2009

We don't have any cars that qualify for this. :(

6. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

Aug 10, 2009

I don't understand. Can anyone explain this program. I want to get rid of my old car and get a new one.

7. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

It's basically states that if you have a car that get less than 21MPG and it's relatively old, than you qualified for $4500 (or less depending on your car and what you buy).

http://www.cars.gov/

click that to read all about it!

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2009

...and guess who will ultimately be paying for the program?:eek::eek::help::mad:

9. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 10, 2009

Your car needs to get less than 18 MPG and the car you are buying has to hit different requirements based off the class of vehicle. Cars are becoming extremely limited. Many of the top rated cars have completely sold out. Due to high demand for the program many of these cars that would have been highly discounted in the past months are now going for MSRP and others higher. My recommendation being in the business is wait until the CARS/Clunker program expires. Based on the turn out it won't be much longer. After that, the deals will go back to normal and you can get deals greatly under invoice instead of MSRP or even over in many cases. There are many promotions advertised but if you noticed Chrysler is offering to match the incentive while just two months ago they were doing double that without the CARS program.....

**written by BF**