Clothing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jarenko, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 13, 2007

I am curious. . to those who teach, how do you typically dress in class? Casually? Formally?

I recall some teachers dressed very 'professionally' (generally in slacks and with a tie), while others were very casual and came to class in jeans and comfy shirts.

What is considered the standard? What is acceptable and unacceptable (generally)?

Until now I generally avoid formality wherever I can, and I'm wondering how much longer I can dodge that bullet! :love:

Thanks! :cool:

3. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2007

You shouldn't be dressed in anything that you could mow the lawn, work out in, or go to a club in. It shouldn't be stretchy (like spandex), revealing (low-cut), but remember it should also be comfortable.

4. Ms. Jane

Ms. Jane Companion

Jul 13, 2007

I completely agree with teaching-n-2. I am never formal when I teach, but I do look nice and I am comfortable. I do wear jeans on Friday though.:)

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2007

Our school is uber-casual which fits me just fine. I just came back from shoe shopping for work and bought three really cool pairs of gym shoes. They'll go with jeans, khakis, and athletic pants which everyone wears every day. The ONLT time we dress up is Open House, Report Card Pick Up, and Graduation! I LOVE IT!! It was one of the big reasons why I knew I wanted to be at this school! I've never been comfortable dressed up! I admire people who can do it all day, every day!

6. hapyeaster

hapyeaster Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Last year, we were somewhat casual. No hose, open toes, sandles, capris, and tennis with khakis.

This year, the district has opted for student uniforms, and the teachers now have to be MORE professional than the student dress.

I am seriously thinking of getting polos and khakis with comfortable Skechers and be done with it. If the students DARE to complain about their uniform, I can tell them that I "don't want to hear it"!!

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 13, 2007

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2007

I could dress more causally then I do, however it is a professional job and I find I got more respect for the students when I did dress more formally. (Slacks and a nice shirt, sweater) on the days I dressed down (toward the end of the year) the first question I got is "Mrs Wall are you feeling well?" Hehehehe :D

But I always wore my mary janes skechers!

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2007

I am an extremely laid-back, casual, down to earth person - dressing up is just not going to happen. I grew up on a farm, rarely wearing shoes, in some pretty interesting get-ups. I miss the formality of "yesteryear" when the teachers I had in elementary school wore scarves with brooches and whatnot, but life is too short to live so uncomfortably. Some argue that looking professional doesn't have to be uncomfortable, but that is all a matter of opinion - both what is professional and what is comfortable. Period. :)

So, I wear basically what the students wear: a polo top, khakis, and tennis shoes. I wear jeans pretty often. The school as a whole, despite the fact that students have a rather strict dress code, is casual.

Trust me, the people I interviewed with have never seen in me in that interview outfit since that day - and it wasn't even that nice. It was false advertisement if you ask me, but that is what's expected.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2007

I dress very casually at school. Jeans, khakis, capris, or the infrequent pair of dressy pants. Usually walking shoes or plain black dressy shoes with a rubber sole. Knit tops, v-neck tees, or tee-shirts with the school/district logo.

11. WindyCityGal606

Jul 13, 2007

I plan to buy bunches of the shirts with our school logo. Everyone wears these at my school. No one cares if you wear one every day with jeans or khakis, with gym shoes.

12. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

The district I sub in is pretty casual, some dress up more so than others...Fridays are the only day we're allowed to wear jeans, but we are allowed to wear shirts with the school logo on other days with kahkis. Toward the end of the school year, I wore capris and sandals every day!! :) I know a few teachers were even wearing the bremuda (sp) shorts with nice tops...I'm in for a culture shock if I have to ever dress super nice every day!!! LOL!

13. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

I have to be able to move and sit on the floor in whatever I wear. Nice pants and a top or a long dress are perfect for me.

And my nikes, I get to wear them because I'm a music teacher and do a lot of movement.

14. maroki

maroki Comrade

Jul 13, 2007

Our school atmosphere was pretty casual so lots of teachers in jeans (and our principal was often at school in sweats), but most of the year I dressed in dress pants, heels, and various professional tops. On Fridays I wore jeans and a dressy shirt, usually with boots or other casual shoes. I rarely wore dresses or skirts, because I sat on the floor and crouched down to talk to kids a lot.

We have a new principal next year so I don't know what his dress code will be, but I plan on still wearing the same thing as last year.

15. BASAM

BASAM Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

I dress casual for school (capri's and yes even the bermuda shorts), we can only wear jeans the last Friday of the month. The students wear uniform but they get free dress day on the last Friday of the month so we get jean day. The teachers do dress up more for events that put us with the parents (conferences, open house, concerts, picture day, etc). It is casual but I think we still look professional.

We had an interim principal a few years ago and he made the males wear button up shirts (tucked in) or sweaters and dress slacks. The females go had to wear sweaters or else a shirt with a collar and dress pants/skirts. No open toe shoes or tennis, it was horrible, we are on a feet all day we should get to be comfortable.

16. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jul 14, 2007

The first school I worked at the kids had uniforms and there was a great deal of respect from the community regarding the fact we were teachers. In return, we dressed up every day. No jeans, I remember three days we got to wear jeans (Jeans day during spirit week, st. patrick's day - we asked, and field day). Every other day I wore a skirt, dress pants, or khakis with a button up shirt or sweater. I taught kindergarten like that, so anyone who says you can't hasn't tried. It's entirely possible.

This year, I taught middle school and I dressed up just as much. I am young and it helps me carry some weight with the kids. One day I wore the school's hooded sweatshirt and got reprimanded by the ISS clerk for not sitting at a table while I ate an apple. I was there to supervise the lunch room. I didn't wear that shirt again. Our principal also basically looked at us in august and said, "When school starts I don't want to see any jeans that are light, faded, or otherwise casual, not even on Friday." Didn't shock me, but other newbies were really upset.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2007

OK, hold on to your socks.

I'm in a Catholic HS on Long Island. We have a dress code:

Men: jacket and tie at all times. Dress pants, dress socks, dress shoes.

Women: skirts to the knee. No bare tops or midriffs, some sort of sleeve. Panythose with skirts or dresses. Pants are to be worn with a jacket.

So I dress up for work, and I like it. I like wearing skirts and suits; I'm comfortable and feel professional.

18. USMCTCHR

USMCTCHR Companion

Jul 14, 2007

I dress up, even as a sub. Dressing down for me is a pair of khakis. I even wear slacks or khakis on Fridays with the school shirts. I wear heels "almost" everyday. (Our kids walked/jogged a mile at the end of the day and I would do it in my heels. The kids LOVED that! :))

I feel that I am a professional and should dress like one. I like looking nice. Our school didn't have a dress code. Shorts and flip-flops were okay. Some people really dressed up and others looked like they had rolled out of bed.

However, EVERYTHING I have is machine washable! :D

19. WindyCityGal606

Jul 14, 2007

Do they still sell pantyhose? YIKES!!!
    If I had to wear a skirt to work I would SCREAM!!!!
    But, seriously....I applaud you for saying you like to dress this way for work. It reminds us that if need be, it can be done!!
    I'm in a public school and we are aloowed to wear our weekend clothes...thank goodness for me.
    It's funny because on special days where we meet with parents, we all play dress up and exchange looks like "WHY????". We all feel sorry for ourselves like little children whose moms make you dress up when you go somewhere "Fancy"!
    We spend the next day saying..."Wasn't that AWFUL having to dress like that yesterday?" LOL It's pretty funny. I think it's because we all feel so uncomfortable and embarrassed dressed up. I don't know why!!

20. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 14, 2007

We're a uniform school and as such I dress up. For the most part it's business casual. On Friday's the staff had a t-shirt that most of us would wear. We could also purchase a school shirt & wear that. No jeans unless the kids could wear jeans.

21. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 14, 2007

I basically like to dress fashionably-- not dressy, just not sloppy. I never wear tennis shoes because I think they are for working out. I do wear comfy shoes- but I like Dansko clogs or shoes. I wear these with jeans, courderoys, slacks, etc. I don't wear t-shirts unless they are under a sweater for the layered look. This is just me... my school allows us to dress any way we want. Many people wear sandals, shorts and t-shirts, or sweatshirts and warm ups. My favorite sort of outfit is jeans, a long sleeved black top, and a pashmena (?) I wrap it around myself and stay cozy and warm all day.

I HATE polo shirts, long sleeved button down shirts, etc. Reminds me of when I had to wear a uniform in school. I don't own a single one. I don't own khakis either... reminds me of my Catholic school days.

22. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 14, 2007

Our principal is very laid-back and we're allowed to wear jeans any two days of the week as long as the rest of the week we wear professional dress. I have lots of skirts which I often wear with nice, non-rubber flipflops/sandals. I wore more jeans and comfy shoes when I taught primary, but now that my 5th graders are typically taller than I am, I like to wear heels and dressier clothes so I don't look like them!

23. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 14, 2007

If working in rough areas, such as Los Angeles, should one be mindful to wear neutral gang colors or as a teacher is that kind of stuff generally ignored?

24. WindyCityGal606

Jul 14, 2007

I would be very careful of the colors I have on in any part of the world with gangs. You don't want to anger the wrong people. Do some research by asking some of the teachers how they handle it.

25. emmyblemmy

emmyblemmy Companion

Jul 14, 2007

I teach at a Catholic school (k-8) and the kids wear uniforms with skirt length restrictions, etc. Boys must wear ties on mass days. I don't think I would feel comfortable wearing jeans and tennis shoes every day. It's a nice treat on our "Spirit Days" to wear jeans, but teachers are professionals and I believe the should dress so. Khakis and polos are perfectly comfortable in my opinion. If I were in a public school, I would feel weird if I dressed like my kids in regular street clothes.

26. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 14, 2007

I don't think I can stand too formal of dress. I normally wear buttoned shirts and jeans, but I could live with trading in jeans for slacks.

But SHOES! I need comfortable shoes, don't I? I just don't want to feel I'm dressed for church. At dances, wedding, funerals...the highlight for me is getting out of those clothes!!

But it's not that bad...right?

27. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

My new school apparently does not believe in a casual dress code for teachers. I was warned to not even wear jeans to workshop days before school.

I'm not sure what specific rules there will be, if any besides the no jeans.

My kids wear uniforms, so I guess teachers are expected to dress professionally also.

During my student teaching I wore khakis, skirts, dress pants, nice t-shirts, button downs and sweaters with flats. I'm not too worried about the dress code since I already dress that way!

I hope we have a school shirt available to wear. I would like at least one day a week where I don't have to think about what I'm going to wear :)

28. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

One of the reasons I support uniforms for kids and teachers....:D

29. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I think part of what teachers wear depends on where they are. I teach in a small, southern, rural school with about 80% of our kids on free/reduced lunch. Our community is very laid back so if we, as teachers, dressed up in power suits every day I think the parents might be intimidated by us. We have always dressed moderately casual. I'm not saying this new principal we're getting won't tell us that we have to go buy power suits to wear to work every day. (Very worried about that--he comes from a different area than us)

30. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2007

I also dress pretty casual. Khakis most of the week, jeans on Fridays. I could wear tennies every day if I chose, but usually don't.

31. meatball77

meatball77 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I had a friend that taught english in prisons in Korea. She wasn't allowed to wear yellow or red as it was thought that those colors would make the prisoners riot.

32. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Jul 15, 2007

Hm, interesting. Was the prison full of bees? :confused:

33. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 15, 2007

If your new principal is smart he won't make any drastic changes until he gets to know the community and the culture of the school. Schools are by their very nature a reflection of the community they serve, so if the parents would be intimidated by seeing the teachers dressed in suits, it would be a disservice to them (and you) to require that.

Our school, too, is quite laid-back. The men wear jeans every day, and I can wear jeans whenever I want (although I usually only wear them on Friday). I generally wear black pants (easy!) and a polo-type shirt or a button-up shirt over a cami. I have my dansko professional clogs that I wear every day to keep my feet nice and comfy.

34. blkirsh

blkirsh Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I teach kindergarten and am always trying to find the balance between comfort and practical (it can get messy) and professional.

35. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 15, 2007

Casual and professional. In the fall & winter, skirts, slacks, blouses, sweaters, tights, comfy dress shoes (aerosoles, naturalizer, dansko, etc.). In the spring & summer, capris, skirts, tops (usually a tee with a button-down over it), sandals (not flip-flops).

I think I wore jeans twice this year, both times on Fridays. The teachers wear jeans quite often, but I choose to avoid them unless we're having a cleaning day, etc.

36. mbfenner

mbfenner Rookie

Jul 15, 2007

I wore a tie every day save Friday up until two years ago. For whatever reason I just stopped wearing one. I do, however, always wear nice slacks with a collared shirt.
    http://www.educationbuffet.com

37. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 15, 2007

On my practicums I have seen a wide range in teachers' wardrobes. I always wear dress pants of some sort (navy, brown or black) and a nice sweater or top. I have to function in a cold climate most of the year, so this works well. I may wear a skirt when it gets warmer, but I have to take recess duty into consideration as well. Capris are acceptable here in most schools as well.

38. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 15, 2007

Hmmmm . . . thought I responded to this yesterday. Guess I posted to a similar one somewhere else or the computer had a glitch.

Our school is rural and high poverty. We once had a principal that told us not to "overdress" and intimidate the parents at parent conferences.

Here's my typical wardrobe. In warm weather, I wear trouser-style capris, gauchos, or skirts with a variety of shirts from knits to "dressier" fabrics. I wear sandals most every day. In cool weather I wear khakis, dress slacks, and longer skirts with sweaters or blazers and dress flats, small heels, or boots.

I don't actually like jeans, so I don't wear them often. I try to keep one pair of trouser-cut dark-washed jeans for work. One of my coworkers didn't even realize they were jeans.

39. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 16, 2007

business casual

40. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 16, 2007

I wear two piece suits that are not to dressy. I wear sandels, boots, no tennis shoes. I also wear nice tops skirts, and blouses. I have plenty of blazers which i wear shirts that i can remove the blazer in the classroom. So i feel more casual. We dress the professional part just not to dressy.
    :)