Clothing sites

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by czacza, Jul 28, 2018.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2018

does anyone order from thredup, stitch fix or any other online fashion sites? If so, what do you like about these? Any tips?

3. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 28, 2018

No, but I'm so curious to read the answers. I've been considering it....just afraid to take the plunge. Also, may I add to your post, "What about tieks?" Has anyone worn them? I wonder if they can live up to the hype.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 28, 2018

I've ordered from Thredup. I liked it fine

5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 28, 2018

I have tried Stitch Fix a few times. I liked it. The best part for me was the convenience. I hate shopping for clothes, so it was nice to be able to just tell someone my size, measurements, and style and then have them mail me some items. A few times, I received things that I likely would have never selected on my own, but returning them seemed to be too much effort. After wearing them a few times, they actually turned into some of my favorite items in my closet. I stopped doing it simply because I didn’t have the money to spend that often, and I really didn’t need anymore clothes of that type (work clothes or dressy casual items). I would definitely use them again, though, when I’m ready to update my wardrobe.

6. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 28, 2018

I absolutely HATE my Tieks. They were tight, I reached out to them, they said to wear them in, so I tortured my feet for a few weeks, which did stretch them out, but they are still uncomfortable and I can not wear them all day.
    The soles of my feet KILL by the end of the day.
    I only wear them on days I know I'll be sitting (PD days) or for short errands, because I spent the $$$
    It was a waste of money.
    My most comfortable shoes are my Toms. I have 4 pairs: flats, boots, heeled sandals, and the original. They have a comfy sole! And cost much less

7. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 28, 2018

Thanks for the honest review. You just saved me a ton of money and aggravation. :)

ChildWhisperer likes this.
  8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 28, 2018

I LOVE my Tieks. I did have to break them in, but I have the matte black ones and wear them 4 days a week. I’ve had them for two years now and they still look practically brand new.

I used to do Stitch Fix, but like another poster pointed out, I can’t afford to do it all the time. I also had issues with my stylist sending items I would never wear, even after very detailed feedback. Their clothes are cute, but on the pricey side.

9. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 28, 2018

OK Thanks. It seems it's a love hate thing with the Tieks. :)

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2018

I did stitch fix once. The clothes were far more expensive than what I'd normally spend, even though I chose the cheapest options for everything on their little survey that they have you fill out. I did love the pair of jeans that they sent me- that ended up being the only thing I kept out of my shipment. I liked one of the tops, but it was dry clean only. I don't have the time or money to mess with dry cleaning, so I sent that one back and put a note in my profile in case I ever decide to do stitch fix again. My other top fit poorly, a necklace they sent wasn't interesting enough for the price, and the last thing was a dress that fit poorly and also was extremely similar to a cheap dress I already owned from Target.

The returns were really easy. They include a bag with the shipment that you put things you don't want in, and you literally just put the clothes in the bag and put it in the mailbox. They do ask a lot of questions to try to get a feel for what type of clothes you would want, but I think the service would be much better if they had you send in some pictures of yourself and the stylist picked things that looked good on you. My whole reason for trying something like stitch fix is that I'm not really good at that. It was fun to get a "surprise" package in the mail since you don't know what's in the box. I might try it again sometime, but definitely not as a regular thing.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  11. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 29, 2018

My younger daughter, who is very petite and looks young for her age, has had great luck with Stitchfix. It took a month or two to understand her style, but she loves virtually everything she gets. She gets a package about every two months.
    I love that they sell gift certificates online, so I can send her surprises!

12. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 29, 2018

My mum orders from thread up all the time and she loves it. I've not heard her say anything negative about it. One of my sister-in-laws does stitch fit on a regular. I think it's very hit and miss for her.

13. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 29, 2018

I haven't heard of these before but I am very interested! I hate shopping for clothes so this would be perfect. What is their return policy?

14. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 29, 2018

I agree with you I hate shopping for clothes its a pain the butt. I usually get my stuff from the men's big and tall store. Only place I can find stuff that's long enough.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 29, 2018

StitchFix has free returns

16. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2018

Yes, returns are free and easy. However, they offer you a 25% discount if you choose to keep everything in your shipment. So, if you return even one item from the shipment, you lose the discount on all of the other items. I've kept a few things that I would otherwise return because I didn't hate the item (also didn't love it) and I wanted the discount.

17. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 29, 2018

I just signed up for Stitch Fix a few days ago! I'm supposed to get my first box next week. I'm in desperate need of some new work clothes but hate, hate, haaaate shopping for clothes. They suggest you make a PInterest board of clothing you like to help them figure out your style which is kind of fun.

18. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 29, 2018

I love clothes shopping, but I lived in a rural area. It's a 50 mile drive for move than Kohl's and JC Penney, and those are 25 miles away. I'm very hard to fit, so I only order online when it is a brand I know fits me.

I haven't signed up for Stitch Fix because I'm so hard to fit. I've wondered how well they actually do. I'm very open to trying new styles, and I often try things on that are not something I'd normally try.

19. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2018

I was actually pleasantly surprised with how well their clothes fit me. I'm also hard to fit... I'm very short and have curves that aren't proportional with my height. I didn't expect the pants they sent me to fit, but, both times, the pants I received were surprisingly perfect. I also got some shirts that fit well, although finding the right size shirt is usually less of a challenge for me than pants. You just have to be sure that you provide them with accurate sizes and measurements and describe in narrative form what makes you hard to fit, plus your preferences for fit.

20. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 29, 2018

It's not that you're exactly hard to fit per se, it's that you don't fit into cookie cutter standards. I'm sure to people who deal with clothes and stuff on a regular basis it's not that bad :)

21. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 29, 2018

I just meant that it's hard for me to find clothes that fit well. Pants are either too tight, too long, or some combination of the two.

22. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 29, 2018

I know I was just saying. Unless I order from the big and tall store I find it hard to find a shirts and stuff that are long enough.

23. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 29, 2018

Shoes are hit and miss with everyone. Some swear by Crocs, Birkenstock and allegrias. They all hurt my feet.

24. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 29, 2018

Stitch Fix does ask you a number of questions about your shape when you first register. You can provide actual measurements in notes somewhere if you want, I'm sure, but it asks things like "If pants fit you in the hips and things are they usually too big/too small/just right in the waist?"and "If tops fit your shoulders are they usually too tight/too loose/just right in your stomach area?" etc. I'm really curious to see what I get and like I said, I'm not really a clothes person.

25. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 29, 2018

I did Stitch Fix for about 6 shipments and it was hit or miss. I never kept more than three items per shipment. I got an awesome pair of jeans from them by Kut From the Kloth and now that's where I get most of my pants from. I wait for a sale so get it much cheaper than what I paid for my first pair through Stitch Fix.

They sort of got my style but I had a lot of misses. Some were downright terrible and I couldn't imagine anyone wanting to wear them. Once I got a dress that made me look pregnant. Between the selections not always being to my liking at all and the higher cost (I'm an Old Navy on sale price range kind of shopper) I stopped it. It is definitely fun getting the boxes. I have an awesome dress from them that I've worn for back to school night, out for a nice dinner and even a wedding that wasn't super dressy, two cardigans that I love and would never have picked out on my own, and the great pair of jeans plus some other tops, so I definitely got some nice additions to my wardrobe from them. I have three friends who have done it and overall they have been happy with it. Nice way to update your wardrobe if you are okay spending a bit. I would say every item costs minimum $40 and up to $100-$125. And that was with the request to get the lowest price range options. I made my shipment "no accessories" as the two times they sent me jewelry it looked cheap but cost a decent amount so decided five articles of clothing made more sense.

26. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jul 30, 2018

I saw some reviews on Youtube and people said the clothes look nice but the quality isn't worth the price.

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2018

Which site?

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2018

Anyone try FabFitFun boxes?