Clothing must haves

Discussion in 'General Education' started by dizzykates, Aug 11, 2008.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

So in light of the recent fashion discussions, what are your "must haves" for school? Do you have lots of choices or a few mix and match type things? Do you have a color scheme?

I have:

tan, light gray, black, and striped black dress pants

a few short sleeve sweaters, three turtle neck sweaters, and three long sleeve light weight sweaters

a long sleeve white dress shirt

3/4 sleeve pink and pink striped shirts

short sleeve black dress shirt

black sweater vest

khaki skirt, black patterned skirt

two pairs of shoes - brown and black

I also have several plain t-shirts that I am debating if they are proper for work.

I would like to add some variety to my wardrobe, but I am not sure how.

What do you all have??

3. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Aug 11, 2008

I dont have anything picked out yet... I plan on going shopping in the next week or soo...

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

I have a lot of clothes. Most of which are sweaters since I am from the north. I LOVE sweaters and am always sad that I can't really wear most of them here.
    My summer wardrobe is :down: I have a lot of capris and sandals but not a lot of tops.
    These tops are a staple for me- I have them in several colors. I tend to favor solid colored items, which I then will layer.

I have a LOT of clothes. At last count, I had somewhere between 40-50 sweaters (I counted about 2 years ago and it was a joke that I could go over a full month with out duplicating). I probably have at least 30 button down shirts (only 1 or 2 are short sleeved, which means I have to wait until October/November to wear them here). I don't have a guess on how many other tops I have.... (However, none are for 90 degree weather!!)

5. Annie227

Annie227 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

giraffe - thanks for putting that link! I hadn't looked at the old navy site in a while and came across the new ruffled neck cardigans. I always try to keep 2-3 different colored cardigans around (one stays in the classroom). You never know when the weather will suddenly change or the class gets too chilly (especially if you teach in a portable)!

6. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

I think that my wardrobe must-haves are tanks, v-necks, black pants, and cardigans. I couldn't live without these! I do have a lot of variety when it comes to skirts & dresses, but there are days that all I can do is put on clothes & I don't want to be worried if I'm matching!

7. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

My two staples are khaki and black pants & capris! I shop at Fashion Bug a lot and get some fancy looking t-shirts to go with the pants. I also have some denim or chambray shirts that I layer in the winter and a couple of sweat shirts (spirit wear) that I wear often. I'm also known for my funky tennis shoe collection, but I'm a bit different in my instruction. I suspect most folks don't roll around on the ground with students giving them therapy. :rolleyes:

8. km51571

km51571 Companion

Aug 11, 2008

giraffe--
    you can go a month w/o duplicating sweaters, well i can go over a month w/o duplicating skirts! they are my favorite!

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

:)

I have quite a few skirts, too, which is odd because I NEVER wear them! If I do, it is always the same one :lol:!!!

Does anyone else have a gazillion pairs of black pants? I bet I have over 20 pairs- not counting those with pinstripes.

I should go do a clothing count. I have a problem.... Seriously....

10. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 11, 2008

i hate black pants. it really bothers me when lint gets on them. i also have a dog that sheds A LOT! i wear khakis all the time when the weather starts getting cooler here. skirts or capris when the weather is warm. shirts? depends on my mood. i like more comfy clothes, so i tend to steer away from button down shirts. this year though, i bought quite a few of them in hopes that i'll actually wear them. they are really cute.

you asked about plain tshirts...i wear them. usually i wear my nice jean jacket over it and it makes it look a little less casual. no one has said anything in 3 years. :)

LC

11. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 11, 2008

I have lots of pairs of Khaki pants!
    I have tons of capri's but can only wear them a short time here in MN! I have more capri's than pants!! :)
    I also have a problem with clothes! I have WAY TOO MANY! I fill up 2 closets, 3 dressers, 2 rubbermaid tubs and still don't have enough room!! ;)
    Can we start a support group!! :)

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 11, 2008

I'm not a great matcher- so I stick to things I can probably be safe with, without clashing to much.

I fell in love with the "wash and wear" apostrophe pants at Sears actually. I like the ROSA style- you can usually find them on sale and..... they come in petites so I don't have to pay 10 bucks to get them shortened!

13. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Aug 11, 2008

Last year I wore pants most of the time but I did invest in a few skirts that I LOVE. I like wearing them more than capris when the weather is nice when dress pants are just too much.

Also- I haven't seen anyone mention this- I also love jackets. I have a brown corduroy one and a khaki one I wear often. We cannot wear sleeveless shirts at school so I like to throw one on over my "summer" shirts.

I'd love to brighten my wardrobe with more colors as I tend to stick with neutrals. Maybe that will be my personal goal this school year. :)

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 11, 2008

I wear khakis more than I wear black pants and it just dawned on my why I have 20ish pairs of black pants and only 4 or 5 pairs of khakis! I wear the khakis out :lol: Literally- they begin to fall apart! Holes or the hem will split!

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 11, 2008

It sounds like you have enough to begin the year. Make sure your shoes are comfortable and dress in some layers. You never know how hot or cold your classroom will be. Mine is chilly because of the windows facing the woods. My other classroom in the same building was always hot and it faced the playground. Go figure.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2008

I think these are the very basics one should have:

2-3 pairs of nice jeans. One of them having some kind of embellishment for sure!

Several nice blouses in cooler, thinner & thicker fabrics.

Several collared shirts: 3/4 & long sleeved in blk, why, & nice colors.

Several styles of skirts in mostly solids, couple or so prints.

Denim jacket & couple blazers.

Nice blk leather bag & another bag in a fun style/color.

Few dresses: Long & shorter

Nice comfortable casual shoes & 1-2 dressier pairs.

2-3 nice pantsuits or dress suits for days you need to be a little more dressed up.

I SAY SPLURGE MORE FOR BOTTOMS & SHOES BECAUSE YOU'LL BE WEARING THEM THE MOST OFTEN SO YOU WANT THEM TO LAST.

17. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 11, 2008

I pick out what to wear based on three criteria: it fits, it's clean, and it doesn't have to be ironed.

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 12, 2008

:lol:

Somehow, I have broken all of those rules on occasion! It is impossible to find clothes that fit me right. Sometimes I but things too big, too. So, I break that rule. As for clean, I typically wear my pants twice before washing them. They don't shrink as badly/quickly (I am stuck between average and talls- average flood after too many washes and I trip over talls....). And, I iron nearly everything. Probably because I don't like to put clothes away. I leave them in the laundry basket unfolded, :lol: Therefore, I iron daily!

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 12, 2008

I usually iron clothes for the week. At least at the beginning of the year I try to do that, but by the spring semester, I'm putting clothes in the dryer in the morning to "iron" them.

20. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 12, 2008

Teacher in Texas,

You need Downy Wrinkle Releaser. It comes in a spray bottle and it really does work, with a few exceptions. You can get it for $3-$4. I don't know what I'd do without it.

21. Happy Chatter

Happy Chatter Rookie

Aug 12, 2008

haha I love having too many clothes. Although my school clothes tend to consist of dark pants and skirts with lighter tops. I work with 6 to 7 year olds and your clothes get real messy with all the pushing and pulling they do.
    I love wearing necklaces for school though its my dressing up item I have tons of them!

22. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 12, 2008

Like giraffe I'm from MI and because our winters last forever so I have TONS of sweaters and here I don't wear them, even my lighter sweaters are too hot for me here!

My professional wardrobe for hot weather is lacking and I need to keep finding things that I can wear here and still be professional and not sweat so much!

23. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 12, 2008

I LOVE THIS STUFF! i use it on EVERYTHING!

24. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 12, 2008

Here's a list that I love. I got it from an Oprah show and I think that it really shows off the staples of a woman's wardrobe.

- Classic Trench
    - Tunic
    - Black Pants
    - Dark Jeans
    - Black Dress
    - Denim Jacket
    - Black Skirt
    - Cashmere Sweaters
    - Fun Flats
    - Big White Bag

I like these as basics to have to build a great wardrobe. And layering with tank/sweater/jacket is a great way to put together a great look :)

I love shopping and watching all those "What Not to Wear" type shows too!