Clothing Ideas

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Jem, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 8, 2009

There have been a ton of threads about what to wear when teaching. It needs to look professional and classy, yet be comfortable to move in. The price shouldn't be too high, as it could get ruined, and we don't make a ton.

Since it's summer and we have some time to really shop around for cute stuff at great prices, I thought we could have a place to share great finds or ideas. You can post links or pictures. If you see something cute, you can save up for it.

Oh, and if you find something that's expensive but might be found at a thrift shop or garage sale, or could be made, post it as well.

I know I really need to some time thinking about what my style is going to be, so I picked up a Lucky magazine last night. I'll start with some cute finds.

I'm a jewelry junkie, so I really like the following pieces:

[​IMG]
    $16, $10.40 with discount code http://www.sadiegreens.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=ST-11525 (type in lucky4 at the checkout for a 34% discount)

[​IMG]
    $4.90 http://www.forever21.com/product.as...name=acc_jewelry&product_id=1064703185&Page=1

Oh, and fitted 'suit coats' seem to be really in, although I think you could find these at a thrift store. I found a great velvet suit coat in the little boys section once-I wish I still had it. It looks like rolling the sleeves up is a casual way to wear it.

I'll look for more this evening.

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jun 8, 2009

I found some great Jessica Simpson sandals but can't find them on-line to post a picture of them. They were $85 at Dillards, but I found them at T. J. Maxx for $57, they're wonderful.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 8, 2009

I love the necklace, Jem!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 14, 2009

I've tutored in kids' homes in the past and never worried too much about what I wore. Bermuda shorts and a tee should be okay for summer.

7. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Jun 14, 2009

I would include Ann Taylor Loft to that list, too. They even have a special program for teachers! :)

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 14, 2009

I'm thinking more for the beginning of the school year, and more specific items that are really cute and not that expensive. I toured some cute boutiques in the city today and want to go back to try some stuff on (I'm trying really hard not to impulse buy). This is what I found in this month's Lucky magazine:

Ok, not cheap, but soooo cute-it has a pretty applique detail on the shoulder if you look carefully at the 'zoom' picture. It's GOT to go on sale at some point this summer, and would look great with the right wrap or fitted jacket over it. Find it here.
    [​IMG]

Apparently I'm into v-neck black tops. This is only $16 at Forever 21.
    [​IMG]

And to continue with my obvious obsession with black, here's a really comfy tunic for $18 from Forever 21. Paired with cute capris and a long necklace, this would be really nice!
    [​IMG]

I love this ruffled top-so cute under a fitted jacket! I wish it were satin instead of cotton, but still very cute, especially at $20.
    [​IMG]

This dress really caught my eye-what if you put a really thin, gauzy cardigan over it? I wonder how short it is... $25
    [​IMG]

I can't pull this off, as I like to sit on the floor, but this is SO cute. $16
    [​IMG]

This would be really pretty with the light pink ruffled shirt above. $7
    [​IMG]

That's what I have for now. Forever 21 has a HUGE site.

9. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 14, 2009

My FSIL loves shopping at thrift stores she finds great stuff. I was at Target the other night and picked up some great tee shirts that I can wear with capris, skirts and shorts.

10. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 14, 2009

Jem I saw that in Lucky (was it in grey?) today and loved it! I hope it goes on sale.

11. carlea

carlea Comrade

Jun 17, 2009

I love to shop for cheap (inexpensive) trendier clothes at H&M, Old Navy, Target, & Walmart. For pieces that don't go out of style that will last, I go to the Gap, Ann Taylor Loft, and Banana Republic.
    Outlets are a great way to go too!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 17, 2009

Would you guys rather have a whole bunch of rather inexpensive clothing OR fewer high quality clothing?

Overall, I like getting high quality stuff (that's normally pretty expensive) ON SALE. Otherwise, I'll spend more on basics that I'll wear more often because they'll need to last, such as black pants, black shoes, a good black handbag, jeans, & other things I tend to wear more often. Things I may pay less money on are trendier items or things I won't wear often.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2009

I go for high quality. I would rather have 3-4 pieces and take care of them. I also buy mostly black and fairly plain things, so I can easily mix and match and not look like I wear the same thing all the time. I can't stand cheap clothes; they make my skin crawl, literally. I bought some cheap camis from Old Navy a few years ago and they were so itchy and seemed to get worse with washing, but $35 camis from Ann Taylor have just been getting softer and nicer (and still look like new).

I love the Ralph Lauren outlet, though the prices aren't always great. Lord & Taylor, when I lived near one, always had RL on huge markdowns at the end of seasons. I had such beautiful clothes, but I lost 150lbs and had to start over with wardrobe building.

I just got a $280 Calvin Klein suit at Ross for $23.99. It is black with a really cute jacket that has a rolled collar and a tab style closure instead of buttons.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 17, 2009

I'm w/ you mollydoll, I hate cheap clothes too. I'd rather have 2-3 good pieces rather than 10 cheap pieces. I like Nordstrom, but I mostly shop when there's sales. For those of you who have a Nordstrom Rack store, I don't know about you, but 98% of those clothes were never at the Nordstrom str at first. It's a whole bunch of cheaper quality clothing.

Off Saks 5th Avenue has much better clothing for being an outlet.

15. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2009

My old roommate was the opposite. She felt that spending more than a small amount on clothes was stupid and a waste of money and always nagged at me for spending too much on clothes instead of saving money. The funny part: I might have spent $200 in birthday money for a few things at Ann Taylor, but she would spend $300+ several times a year at Old Navy and Target on clothes that would fall apart and not last. She never got that I actually spend way less on clothes than she did. Different attitudes I guess!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 17, 2009

You hit the nail right ont he head, mollydoll! Cheap things don't look as good after numerous launderings & don't last as long (as a whole).

My BF will get sneakers from Payless & he has to buy another pair more often that I do. You can definitely tell what's cheap, the quality just isn't there.

17. socaligirl

socaligirl Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

Just saw this thread. I used to just spend more on quality pieces, but I've realized over the years that I get SO bored with my clothes and end up hating my wardrobe.

I'm in a phase now where I'll spend enough to get a pretty decent sized new wardrobe from Forever 21 or H&M, and then replace as necessary.

I do keep my jeans forever, though, so even though I may get new tops a lot, they are going with the same old jeans.

18. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Aug 3, 2009

I get a lot of my clothes at Kohls. They are affordable and very stylish. They seem to usually have a decent clearance rack.

19. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Aug 3, 2009

I love the outlet malls in our area and find that they really bridge the gap between the "less for more" v. "more for less" debate. I'm a fan of Banana Republic pants, Gap tops and jeans, RL and Tommy Dressy/casual. I also love Macy's for things all along the spectrum and have found some really great deals lately. I recently got a CK formal dress for $35 marked down from $165!

Also, Marshall's has a large selection. Sometimes I have to search more than I'd like but I usually walk out with at least a pair of shoes and cute top.

In general I think I spend more on pants because those are my staple and they get more wear and tear. I do wear skirts occasionally but probably not as often as I'd like to.

20. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

There are certain things I spend top dollar on. I am a big fan of premium denim. I bought a pair of Paige jeans a year ago, and they still look new. I wear them all the time.

This is the outfit I bought for my first day of school. It's Old Navy, but like others said, I get bored easily. Black skirt? I would get that a Banana Republic, plum colored dress?...which I might hate in a month, Old Navy.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/Asset_Archive/ONWeb/Assets/Product/655/655425/main/on655425-01p01v01.jpg

http://oldnavy.gap.com/Asset_Archive/ONWeb/Assets/Product/688/688054/main/on688054-02p01v01.jpg

http://oldnavy.gap.com/Asset_Archive/ONWeb/Assets/Product/675/675415/main/on675415-01p01v01.jpg

And I got all of it for 50 dollars, with my 30% coupon, with 5% going to Teach for America!

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2009

Jem, you're good at figuring out what goes with what. I have this jacket that I bought when I was in Japan. I am SOOOO kicking myself that I didn't get the matching skirt. I have no clue what to wear with this jacket (blouse??? skirt???? pants??? color????) Help anyone!! How can I make this approprite for an interview?
    [​IMG]

And to answer the original post, I just like to get clothes at Old Navy and Ann Taylor Loft. I like to mix and match expensive/nice pieces with the simple pieces.

22. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

Jeez, I'm so jealous. I just went to find that coupon and it expired yesterday. That outfit is so great, and for $50...

23. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 3, 2009

Thanks TeacherShelly!!! I am sorry that you didn't get to use the coupon. I should have posted it on the site, someone else did (with the benefactor being Donor's Choose)...but I should have also.

Boots and dresses/skirts are my favorite combo!

24. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

Rachaelski, I have the doggone coupon, I just didn't go shopping. Thanks for that, though. Cute outfit... I want it.

25. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 3, 2009

A black skirt and a cami would look great!! Cute jacket!!

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2009

Peachy, for an interview, a black or white skirt w/ black or white shoes would be best w/ this color jacket for a professional look, but if you're NOT on an interview, all these color bottoms would complement it well:

- dark/deep red
    - pale pink
    - lavendar or deep purple
    - dark green
    - subtle or small print w/ the jacket color in it

27. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 3, 2009

Thanks Peggy and Ms. I!!! I am very fashion clueless. I have had this jacket for like 3 years now and I've only worn it once because I just don't know what would look good with this, as I didn't buy the matching skirt. I am going clothes shopping with hubby so I will now have a good idea of what to look for! :)

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 3, 2009

I also love the idea of a black cami-maybe with some lace? What about with some tight capri jeans? And a slight heel? I'm big into fitted jackets with capris right now.

29. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2009

I would go with a plain white cami and a black pencil skirt or plain black pants, maybe with a very slight flare. Go plain with the skirt and cami to play up the detailing on the jacket. I think a slight scoop neck or a straight neck would work well with the jacket.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2009

Tight capri jeans for an interview? ...And a cami with lace? What kind of interview is this?:eek::dizzy:

I'd go with black skirt, black knit shell. Black heels. Great silver jewelry....

31. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 4, 2009

Oooops! Didn't see it was for an interview. Sorry. I was wondering why everyone kept suggesting a black skirt. Hahhaha. Soooooooooorry.

32. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2009

Haha, no, it's good to know how else to wear it!! :) OR maybe it's another edge I'll have at an interview!!!! In this economy, I gotta stand out! :D